1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vincent Jackon's primary suitor looks to be the Vikings

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2010 4:39 PM ET

In five days, a hearing will be held in New York to determine whether Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson will miss six games or three games if is traded during his three-game suspension for violation of the substance-abuse policy. The NFL believes he should; the NFLPA believes he shouldn't.

Either way, word is spreading that the Vikings are the team that hopes to swing a deal for Jackson, if the ultimate absence is only three games.

Last Saturday, an unnamed franchise worked out a one-year deal with Jackson's agents, who then could not work out a trade with the Chargers. That team has not been identified. On Friday, our pal Henry Lake of KFAN in Minneapolis said via Twitter that the Vikings are making a play for Jackson. Though all concerned persons and entities are keeping quiet on this one, we've done some digging and we believe that Lake is right -- and that the Vikings are the team that nearly traded for Jackson last week.

Based on the Vikings' performance on offense against the Saints on Thursday night, the Vikings surely could use him.

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    2nd round pick here we come if this holds any water.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I really hope they overrule the roster exempt list thing so we can trade him for a higher price.

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    IMO it was a penalty applied by a individual source. If a new team wants to take him on all they should have to do is make him serve the FULL 3 weeks of his NFL orderded suspension.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree, but I also don't think his 3 week suspension should kick in until he actually reports. If he holds out until week 10, he should be suspended for 3 weeks after he comes back. I don't understand how you can suspend someone who technically isn't under contract

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'd like to see him end up playing for the Siberian Ice Mongers, He'd fit in rather nicely there.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I bet if the Vikings have another receiving nightmare like they did last game then they will pull the trigger.

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    JasonLaCanfora - Vincent Jackson's hearing on his roster exempt status is Thurs and 10AM. Trade value will increase if additional 3-game susp doesn't apply
    27 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Mort Reported McNeil is making it known he will sit out the entire season unless he gets a long term contract. Tennessee also has a lineman willing to hold out all season.

They say VJ could be traded if the NFL rules that he would not need to serve the extra 3 games on a trade.

I think VJ is gone, and McNeil is 85% out the door.

10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Sign McNeil!!!!

It took us , I dunno how many years, to find a franchise worthy Left tackle. If we let him walk outa here, then hiow long will it take us to find another one?!

If Dombrowski has a clanger in the week 1 against the Chiefs...will the Chargers top brass have a change of heart??? I hope so!!

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    According to Mort, if the Chargers are not willing to give him a long term contract, he is willing to sit out all year. I think it is more likely that a team will start courting the Chargers to trade for McNeil at this point. However stranger things have happened than a turn around in situations like this.

However, I find it most likely that upon coming back, McNeil will have some sort of injury because he has not been out there working in football situations. Much like Merriman.

12. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I don't believe that McNeill is going anywhere...wide recievers are alot more replaceble than left tackles, and if Marcus sits out the season then he is still our property as a RFA, and his willingness to do that absent a serious injury would be a red flag to any potential suitors.

If Dombro plays decent and we start the season off rolling, then McNeill will likely start chomping at the bit to get back on the field, if only to play this season out and get a big payday from someone else but if he sits all season and we don't skip a beat, then he loses value in many people's eyes.

13. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    AJ waiting could prove to be a good thing. Teams that start slow or have an injury will be apt to pay more for him now. I think the Vikes see that they could be in trouble with Green Bay if they don't bring in a WR. We'll be praising AJ in another week or two......

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Wow, that is amazing since that is exactly what I have been saying for weeks. If he is able to play for his new team for 13 weeks, his trade value would be better than if he can only play for only 10, but a few here kept telling me I have no idea what I was talking about.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Kevin Acee, who knows AJ better than any of us, has said he doesn't think he will even discuss a deal with MM even if we were down to out 10th string OT's. Take that for what it is worth

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If the new CBA only calls for 4 years of service to be a UFA, he will be free to walk even if he sits out the year. He already has 4 years. The only way he stays under Charger control is if the new CBA calls for 5 or 6 years, which the NFLPA will never allow. They are actually pushing for a reduction to 3 years as a concession for a rookie salary cap. I think it is more likely it will revert back to 4, which is what it has been for a long damn time.

So basically, he is taking a gamble regarding his freedom to walk, but it is a gamble that is likely to go in his favor.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm kinda surprised a team like Buffalo doesn't look to grab him, they haven't been the same since they lost Jason Peters