1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vincent Jackson expected to hit open market

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Feb 9, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 9, 2012, 8:42 AM EST

The Chargers would have to pay Vincent Jackson a lot of money to use the franchise tag on him — more than $13 million.
    That’s why he’s expected to hit the open market, and he’s not expected to stay in San Diego.
    “I don’t see any way he’s back [in San Diego]. The Chargers won’t franchise him, they’ve come out and said that,” Jason La Canfora said on NFL Network. “There’s been acrimony between the two sides over the years and there are too many teams that need receiving help, St. Louis, San Francisco and Tampa are some teams off the top of my head. Somebody is going to give him big bucks.”
    Kevin Acee of the U-T San Diego reported last month the Chargers would be “comfortable” giving Jackson a long-term deal, but they are unlikely to use the tag on him.
    We don’t think you can rule out a return to the Chargers, but Jackson has waited a long time and fought a few battles to get to this point. He only has to wait another month, so he may as well see what free agency has to offer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Can we count on Floyd to be a #1 WR and stay healthy?
    Can Vincent Brown step up in his second season to be a legit #2?
    Are we back to drafting another WR that would take three years to develop?
    What FA could we bring in to replace VJ and take the #1 role, especially if Floyd is out a few games?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    It is interesting to see the bloggers at the bottom of the article paint VJ as prima donna wide out like T.O. I have never seen him act remotely as a cancer, sure he did have his DUIs, and other issues, but since then he has appeared to be squeaky clean. In his interviews, he has never been critical of the organization nor his teammates, and always stated he wanted to be here. Whether that is true, or not either way, he is being passive about it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    .....so ......waiting until after the Super Bowl was over didn't help?:coffee:

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Weddle was supposedly out the door last year too... and Dielman when the Seahawks were courting him only signed with the Bolts at the very last minute (IIRC). I wouldn't count him out yet, if he's serious about wanting to stay here and get a long-term deal he will be. In the meantime, be prepared for lots of posturing ><

• Like Like x 4
  6. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Good point.

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    No
    Maybe
    I don't think so, AJ and Norv need to win now.
    Floyd will be out a few games, so the question is "when" not "if" Floyd is out a few games. As far as the free Agents, I don't think any of the available free agents are of Jackson's caliber except for Colston, and if we can afford to sign him, then we could've just signed Jackson anyway. I think there are some quality players who would be wild upgrades to Floyd, but not to Jackson. Bowe and Meacham come to mind, along with Eddie Royal. Here's a complete list: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/wr.html

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Will Jackson hit the open market? Who cares? The question is will San Diego resign/franchise Jackson or will he move on. If he hits FA and resigns here, does it matter? AJ will offer Jackson a long-term contract or tag him. The question is whether or not the contract will be a joke.

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I will lay into AJ pretty hard if he doesn't make VJ a fair offer and soon.

VJ is a rare talent. Cleaned up his act, as required, and stated, repeatedly, that he wants to be here.

As long as that translates into asking for a contract that rewards his ability, but isn't outrageous,
    AJ owes it to (mostly) the fans, and also VJ to get it done.
    It is my hope that La Canfora is just talking out of his...uh...'Rex'

• Like Like x 2
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I've stated several times, "Peaches" La Canfora is really only 100% correct when he's got team reps in the pit at the draft telling him who the pick is going to be just prior to the commissioner's announcement. Otherwise, the guy just does the same thing Mort does... sift through the opinions of beat writers and tries to sell it as "fact" because he has "sources".

• Like Like x 1
  11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah but that surprised everyone. The only one who knew that was gonna happen was Weddle.

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I imagine it will be somewhat similar with VJ. He'll test the market, the Chargers will give him their best offer and he'll have to decide whether he wants to take more money from another team or if he wants to take a comparable but slightly lesser offer from the Bolts and stay here.

When I say "more money" I don't mean that the Chargers would low-ball VJ, I think they will offer him a fair market long-term deal but like it often is it will be slightly less $$ than he could get elsewhere. He will have to decide then whether he really wants to stay here, with PR, a stellar QB with whom he has great on-field chemistry and put his faith in this squad living up to their hype. OR, if he wants to take the bigger money and try his chances elsewhere.

I think of the teams mentioned as having an interest in him... SF would likely be the most attractive. Alex Smith isn't a stellar QB but that squad as a whole is probably the most likely to have a shot at the Super Bowl. STL and Tampa are organizations in flux, solid QB's but lots of holes to fill and lots of unknowns with whole new FO's/Coaching staffs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I agree with just about everything you said...and I think VJ would also expect to be more
    appreciated here--all other things being equal--than somewhere where he was the new guy.
    As for the Weddle comparison, I'm not going to go back and look up all the relevant quotes
    (I mean, it's just not that big a deal), but off the top of my head, it seems to me that--between VJ & Weddle--
    VJ's statements, re. hoping to remain with the club, despite uncertainty, were as positive,
    if not more so, than Weddle's. So I remain optimistic. I've agreed with AJ more often than not
    over his career here. So I've often defended him. But if he lets some personal crap get in the way,
    and we lose VJ, I'll be cheesed-off. My bigger worry is VJ's agents: Feinsod, circa Sept. 2010 was
    talking like such a d-bag, that it looked like the well might be forever poisoned.
    If everybody acts like adults, we can keep VJ here for the next 5 years...and I think they need to.
    I love Malcom, but he hasn't shown he can be counted on to suit up. Vincent Brown showed flashes
    of brilliance, but there ain't much track record there. Laurent? You're a free agent now...
    come on back, baby...we can change. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I will fly out to San Diego and personally laugh in AJ Smith's face if he lets VJ walk and I can almost guarantee you if he walks he will sign with New England because all they need is a deep threat and Welker at the WR position.. And think about it, if we have a great year like years past.. who's stood in our way to the Super Bowl? New England.............

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I had to use a Patriots logo as my Facebook profile picture for a week after the loss to NE. I was pretty livid.

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    It makes no sense at all to just let the guy walk. We don't have a #1 wideout in waiting, we have a bunch of average guys and 1 special dude who gets hurt real easy. It's a bit of a catch 22 though. Ala Weddle looks like we will have to overpay to keep him though. He is no Larry Fitz or Megatron but he is the type who would make the difference to a rival team needing this type of player i.e. New England.

That cost has to be factored in too... i.e. the cost of him going to your bitter rivals and improving them while weakening you.

• Like Like x 2
  17. jwmann2

jwmann2 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Franchise tags are pointless in the NFL. History shows that you really only get them for that last season and by the end of the year are out 10+ million with no Super Bowl ring.

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I wouldn't say its pointless, but its a double edged sword for both sides.

19. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I like the way you think....same thought crossed my mind...NE needs a reliable long threat, and the Pats have had a great amount of success hiring former Chargers.

20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    But the 49ers have won more Super Bowls with our castoffs

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Who cares! When Welker hits the market we will nab him for big bucks and he will be our #1! Superbowl BABY!

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    You mean he'll drop the ball and cost us the Super Bowl right?

And then its "thanks for nothing AJ!":roflmao:

23. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Norv will find a way so that he will be non productive, then he will get hurt and go on the IR 1/4 way into the season.

24. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    If we have absolutely no interest in the guy.. AJ needs to make a sign and trade.. He never really does this, actually has he ever? but I would do this if New England was a destination being linked heavily with VJ..

• Jackon for Mankins and a 2012 second round draft pick.. (Patriots have FOUR in the first two rounds) (This is also if Dielman does retire which doesn't look likely)
    • Jackson, Clary (big contract to move, will most likely be a back up to Solder if he even makes it out of Bellicheck's training camp) for Vollmer (Upgrade at RT) and a 2012 first round draft pick..
    • Jackson, Jammer :roflmao: for Patrick Chung (Upgrade at FS) and a 2012 1st round draft pick..
    Jackson and Mankins trade was discussed last year when both were holding out but Mankins did sign a 6 year deal.. If we do get a 1st round draft pick from the Patriots we will certainly need to use our current pick (18th) and that (27th) or (31st) to move up and select a guy like Blackmon which likely won't happen but we've seen crazier things on draft day.. of course this is all speculation don't take m too seriously..
    I'll even take a guy like Michael Floyd as well but that will be too confusing for Phillip with Michael and Malcolm Floyd out there! LOL
    Blackmon and Floyd are the only receivers I see who can come in and make a difference with this team from day 1.. I think it will be VERY stupid to trade or not resign him though..
    I believe AJ is playing the ******* here, what else is new.. just pay the guy give him a 4 year deal worth 25-30 million he's worth it, knows the system and knows Rivers.. the time is now were not getting any younger..

25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    None of those moves would represent as big of an upgrade to the position we would be trading for as the loss of Jackson would be a downgrade.

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    AJ has literally no one else on this team who NEEDS to be locked up. If VJ isn't signed long term, it means that he isn't doing his job.

27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'd be shocked if he just let VJ walk considering how hot his seat is right now.

No way he walks into 2012 with Floyd, Brown, and Goodman + some "C" level retread WR he signs off the street and expects to make the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Don't forget the Cornell Rocket. ;)

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Sign and trades happen next to never because the player still has to sign his tender to facilitate the trade (i.e. the team doesn't own his rights to trade him until the player signs the tender and becomes under contract). Not to mention that they (S&T's) expressly violate the bargaining in good faith portion of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The only time that I can even remember an Sign and Trade happening in the last decade was the Pats trading Cassel to the Chiefs (with Vrabel), and that was a unique situation where they had the cap room and the foreseeable "need" to hang on to Cassel - even if on an absorbent single-year salary - as insurance against Brady not coming back totally up to snuff from his knee injury.

Also, 4 years at $25M? Sorry, bro, but you're naive if you believe VJ wouldn't laugh in the face of that offer. That IS lowball. If he gives us a hometown discount he's still going to be making in the high $8M's to $9M/yr; so we'd be looking at 4 years $32-36M and given his age he's likely to be seeking a 5th year too.

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Gaither (unless we plan on starting Dombrowski at LT or trading up to get Mike Adams - because we won't even sniff the fumes of Matt Kalil), Hardwick, Phillips is a year away from extension-time. I'm not saying it's a large list, but the list isn't exactly non-existent or insignificant either.