1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vincent Jackson joins the list of absent Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Sep 22, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Vincent Jackson joins the list of absent Chargers

Posted by Josh Alper on September 22, 2011, 7:51 PM EDT

AP
    A good portion of the Chargers offense missed practice on Thursday.
    The most interesting name on the list is wide receiver Vincent Jackson. Jackson practiced fully on Wednesday and there haven’t been any previous reports about injuries to the Chargers’ leading receiver. Kevin Acee of theSan Diego Union-Tribune thinks that Jacksonmay just be resting after a heavy workload against the Patriots last Sunday. Jackson played 71 of the team’s 72 offensive snaps.
    He joined fellow starting receiver Malcolm Floyd, tight end Antonio Gates and running back Mike Tolbert on the sideline. All of those players have injuries, all of them missed practice on Wednesday and Floyd left the Pats game with an injured groin. Norv Turner said Wednesday that Floyd could miss the Week Three game with the Chiefs and his absence today would seem to make that more likely.
    The news is a little better on Tolbert. Michael Gehlken of NBC San Diego spoke to the running back who said that expects to practice on Friday and play on Sunday despite a calf injury.
    The Chargers were also without safety Bob Sanders and defensive tackle Corey Liuget for the second straight day.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/22/vincent-jackson-joins-the-list-of-absent-chargers/

2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Jackson "soreness" not major concern

Vincent Jackson will play against Kansas City.
    The others? It’s not so certain.
    The Chargers top wide receiver joined No. 2 wideout Malcom Floyd, tight end Antonio Gates, defensive end Corey Liuget, strong safety Bob Sanders and running back Mike Tolbert in missing practice on Thursday. The reason was listed as "abdomen" on the injury report, but head coach Norv Turner made a point to distinguish between an injury and the "soreness" he said Jackson was experiencing.
    Jackson deferred questions to the training staff, which is not allowed to speak to the media. Asked if there were concern he wouldn't play Sunday, he did say, "Nah."
    It appears Floyd (groin) will miss Sunday’s game, it also appears Liuget could be in jeopardy due to an ankle injury. Tolbert (calf), Sanders (knee) and Gates (foot) are more likely to play, but Turner was hopeful all but Floyd would go Thursday and was “disappointed” they could not.
    “I’m concerned anytime a guy can’t practice on Thursday when you’re getting ready to play a game,” Turner said.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/22/jackson-soreness-not-major-concern/

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Norv is such a putz. He always has higher than realistic expectations for the injured players.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Huh? What's Norv supposed to say? Tell the other team exactly who will be playing? I think you read too much into what Norv says to the media.

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yeah, because Norv doesn't have access to the team doctors, and you do. :rolleyes:

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I wouldn't....except then he always says how "dissapointed" he is that the player can't play, after he said publically that he "expects him to be ready."

It's just Norv putting his players in an awkward and guilty position, and its tactless. I doubt anyone cares more about the fact that they can't play than the INJURED PLAYER to begin with, without having the feeling that their HC may be calling their toughness into question in front of the media.

Its just another of many nuances that I can't stand about Norv. Take lessons from winning coaches like Bellichick, Reid, Tomlin, hell even his boy Jimmy Johnson back in the day ... rarely do you hear those guys make comments about their expectations of an injured player.

7. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Ughh, I see Sanders is on the list. Anyone know the extent of injury that Sanders is being held out of practice for? Is it serious or not etc....;)

8. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Ruptured tendon in his knee...

I'm just screwin with ya. I have no idea.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    via Twitter

10. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    I'd guess Gates plays too, but if we get up early (hopefully), then maybe Gates will sit the rest of the game if the lead is comfortable.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not at all sure that Gates SHOULD play. The way that he looks right now, combined with the way that KC looks, doesn't make me feel any sense of urgency to get him on the field.

Could there be a Vincent Brown sighting this Sunday? As an active participant, that is. :rolleyes:

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814

Q​

kt moore , san diego

With Floyd potentially being out, any chance we see Vincent Brown for the first time?

A​

Kevin Acee

Very very very little. I would say none ... I know there is high interest in this kid given that he went to San Diego State and was taken in the third round and considered an immediate producer. What has happened to him (injuries taking away his ability to be up to speed) is part of why I so reluctantly participate in and perpetuate the draft hype ... Give it time. Vincent Jackson, a second-round pick, was hurt early, inactive, played for the first time in mid-October and made his first catch in November of his rookie season.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm not bashing Brown in any way. Just wondering if we might see him in action this week.

14. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I will be happy to get Crayton back.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Same here.

I feel pretty confident that we can abuse the Chiefs' D without Floyd or Gates.