1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vincent Jackson looks good in camp!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Aug 4, 2006.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +423
    Vincent Jackson on the rise!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey fellas I am new to this site I was refered by SanDiegoRon. I also post very heavily on nflfans.com and am the Chargers Mod there. This looks like a great site to talk to fellow bolt fans. I live in Ohio so naturally I dont hear anything but the B!tch *** Bengals. Thanks for having me!

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    August 2, 2006

SEAN M. HAFFEY / Union-Tribune
    Second-year pro Vincent Jackson hopes to emerge into a bigger role this season and exploit his size advantage over most opposing defensive backs.
    They have all let the kid know to just keep putting in the work.

They know what they see in Vincent Jackson and what he might be on the verge of becoming.

The tools and the size and the speed, it is all so exciting to them.

In the vanilla world from which Marty Schottenheimer's assessments come, this will have to suffice from the head coach: “He's a very gifted player.”

National City OKs talks on stadium
    Canepa Roberts knows price of letting Chargers go

Big deals

The Chargers' Vincent Jackson is in the mold of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens, among the biggest wideouts in football. A list of large receivers:

Vincent Jackson, San Diego, 6-5, 235: Chargers expect big things this year

Michael Clayton, Tampa Bay, 6-4, 200: Had 1,193 yards receiving in 2004

Keyshawn Johnson, Carolina, 6-4, 214: His 744 catches rank No. 20 all-time

Randy Moss, Oakland, 6-4, 210: Production has slipped in Oakland

Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona, 6-3,223: Monstrous '05 (103 receptions, 1,409 yards)

Terrell Owens, Dallas, 6-3. 220: Gets new start with Cowboys

The quarterback, who has enough reliable targets already, looks downfield and sees something more.

“He's got the potential to be a top wide receiver in this league,” Philip Rivers said. “That potential is becoming reality.”

And the general manager, he sees something else, a finishing piece for that offensive puzzle, perhaps.

“He's a special player,” A.J. Smith said. “This might be a year, barring injury, that he can emerge. We need someone like him to come up and perform so we can move forward and be a championship team.”

Jackson has a vision, too. It is of the near future, where he leaps from his spot on the platform of potential.

“That's a good word and a bad word,” Jackson said, “That's an in-between word. I'm looking forward to showing it. You want to get over that 'Could-be.'

“I see limitless possibilities. I know I'm going to make plays this year. I'm a mismatch (for defensive backs). There are a lot of things I can do.”

Jackson is every bit of 6-feet-5 and 235 pounds, covers 40 yards in less than 4.5 seconds and is one underwhelming, injury-marred season into his NFL career.

So big and talented, even having done so little, Jackson is sometimes compared to Terrell Owens. Quiet, disarmingly humble, yet possessed with confidence, Jackson does not shy from the parallel. He believes he can be that kind of receiver, an uncommon combination of size and speed that makes him difficult to cover.

Jackson's self-assurance is not in the same stratosphere as Owens' self-promotion. But Jackson believes in what he can do and recalled this week his frustration over being little more than a blocking receiver last season.

“I'm just like, 'Give me a chance. Just put it in my area,' ” Jackson recalled. “I feel like I've got a pretty good range. I can go up. I can go down. I'm pretty agile. If you can get it in my general area, I'm going to try to make a play.”

He knows why it was that he made just three catches in 2005. Simply, he was not ready to be more a part of the offense.

First, an Achilles' tendon injury and then a calf kept him sidelined much of training camp and even into the season. When Jackson got healthy in October, it was too late for coaches to spend much time integrating a newcomer into the offense.

In the season's ninth game, he caught his first pass, a nice comebacker for an 18-yard gain against the Jets. His two other receptions – both Dec. 19 at Indianapolis, for 21 yards down to the 4-yard line and a 20-yarder in which he held on despite being blasted by the safety – were teases.

Over the offseason, Jackson further excited teammates and coaches and himself.

“I am so much better than at any time last year,” Jackson said. “My knowledge is totally different, even from the end of the season. This offseason has been the best experience. We started back up with workouts in March, and from there it's been nothing but positive. I've felt great. I've learned. The offense is almost like second nature for me now.”

Because that knowledge is beginning to come to fruition, Rivers eyes something else in his future downfield threat.

“I can see it developing,” Rivers said. “He's got that little swagger. It's starting to click in to where he's truly comfortable.”
    There is another impression he has as well.

“I think he's the kind of guy who likes to be the guy,” Rivers said. “That's what I sense. He has that kind of attitude. If he were to get going like his expectations are and ours, he can really be a factor.”

2. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    This IS the Charger Fan Site. Welcome and Enjoy!!!

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I know SanDiegoRon. Good dude but does not know how to evaluate the fat boys :icon_mrgreen: He rolls with our posse at the home games.

I like his draft takes and especially watching him squirm when his mock drafts go awry :lol:

You found the fastest growing and most cutting edge Chargers fan site. :yes: :rockout: :icon_beerbang:

We will be webcasting all the tailgaters for the Chargers games at home. :icon_party:

Tuesday night 9PM PST - there is a LIVE Bolttalk show where listeners can call in to the hosts. :tup:

Way cool stuff.

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    don't listen to the trumpet dude *man*... he's always full of chiat...
    :lol:

welcome to the board... btw guys, The Champ is a SERIOUS Cro fan... been pimpin him for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time...

even longer than ....

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,888
    the anteater is the real honest one of the group

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I said VJ would be a superstar before all of you but because nobody will bother to confirm that I will simply be ANTI-VJ for the rest of the year :icon_rofl:

7. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +423
    Thanks alot fellas for the welcome aboard...I enjoy discussing the bolts team with die hards like yourself's. And I am a serious Cromartie fan as SDRon said, I said the Chargers were going to draft Cro in December of last year.. If you ask Ron I do bring alot of knowledge to this site as I am very passionate about football and about my Chargers. So again thanks for the welcome and I look forward to contributing to your site.

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Nice. ALthough, according to leisure, he 'claimed' Cromartie while the kid was still in diapers. :lol:

9. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    MTL got made fun of for taking Cromartie #11 overall in the leisureworld draft and then like a week later when Chargers.com had their crappy little leisureworld ripoff mockdraft SDRon took Cromartie #11 :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

And oh yeah, leisure COULD have taken Cromartie #2 overall but he passed on him, which just goes to show how leisure never really believed in Cro after all :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: What type of idiot would take Reggie Bush over Cro are you kidding me Cro has the BUBBLE for christ sake :icon_rofl:

jk leisure you're my lil buddy

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    did I even particiapate in the Chargers.com mock...:icon_huh:

edit: o my, I did...

although I did have him as my #1 CB on my board, but I prefered Jason Allen at FS... unfortunately, so did Coach Saban...:icon_sad:

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I was pimping Cro too. Somehow, I had to question myself since leisure also wanted Cro - but then we saw the "bubble" picture, and I knew why "L" was in love.

So ..... the real questions to you .......

AJ or Marty

Rivers or Brees

The Ankle Biter or Wilhelm

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Allen is only one of two players from the first round that arent signed yet and the fans at finheaven.com are PISSED!

Seems JA wants more money even tho the spots in front and behind him have been signed.

13. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +423

Well I will let him take all the credit he wants. No big deal to me I have been watching Cro since he played at Lincoln High school in Tallahassee.

14. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +423
    Tough question:

Marty
    Rivers
    Ankle Biter

15. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    That's what I thought :icon_rofl:

16. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +423

lol! Its cool just glad to see alot of Cro fans.

17. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Reggie'll be great but think about Cro's thick barrel chest and overall muscle tone :icon_shrug: If Deion Sanders Jr. is available #2 overall I take him.

BTW are you excited to see the Philly youngsters tonight? Should be fun to watch Bunks, Jean Gilles Avant and company. Imagine Shaun Andrews and Jean Gilles on the same line :icon_eek:

18. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    You're only batting .333 in the official Bovine scorebook. :icon_mrgreen:

19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Damn I missed the Marty answer. I could have sworn he said AJ. Anyway, .333 is better than the 0'fers on S*UT. He is welcome on my team any day.

20. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +423
    ummm....Bunkley isnt playing. He just signed his contract today and still needs his physical. He will practice on Tuesday.

21. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +423

thanks...Just remember that a .333 Batting Average over a career in baseball will get you into the Hall of Fame. Tony Gwynn is a prime example!