1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Vincent Jackson Trade Rumors

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 11, 2010.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Well, the first thing to point out is that if Vincent is going to cite Marshall's recent deal as a benchmark for what he believes he should be getting, then I would cite right back at him that Marshall - a player who has had similar suspension/discipline issues, if for different legal reasons, to Jackson - also has a part of his deal a clause that directly affects the amount of guaranteed money (to the effect of whether or not 2/3 of his 3rd year base is guaranteed or not) based upon whether or not he receives ANY league suspension over the first 3 seasons of the contract. Without that additional $6 million guaranteed, the amount of guaranteed money is actually pretty cheap as aside from the $5.5 million signing bonus and a $3 million 2011 roster bonus (which would be due on the first day of the 2011 league year... something that wouldn't occur - and thus not be paid out - if the owners lock out the players union), as it basically requires Marshall to demonstrate that he can stay out of trouble before he starts collecting those $9 million annual salaries.

For DenverBolt67... Marshall's deal was 5 years for $47.3 million ($12.5 million guaranteed), averaging out to ~ $10 million per year (though his bases in the back 3/5 of his contract are only $9m). Fitz got 4 years for $40 million with $30 million of that guaranteed... but Fitz also didn't have any of the previous character/suspension history that Marshall or VJ have had, so he's shown to be less of a risk to guarantee salary monies to because he's more likely to actually be on the field contributing as opposed to serving a league suspension for a boneheaded off-the-field issue (guaranteed money is fully guaranteed... even and supercedes "suspension without pay").

2. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    How about VJ to the Lions for Calvin Johnson straight up? I bet CJ would love coming here and VJ can get his big contract and be a star in the motor city.

3. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Johnson is 1 of only a couple of WR's I'd trade VJ for.

4. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Why do you think Detroit would do that?

5. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Because they are the Lions! No really I am from Detroit and have been following the Lions since 1970 nothing would surprise from that team. I do doubt the Lions would want to do this.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Absolutely not going to happen. The Lions have to pay King Kong Suh first

7. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Is that a racial slur?

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,764
    V Jackson may just be a product of the system much like John Jefferson was. JJ was shipped out and never had the same success, V Jackson my encounter the same fate.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Anyone attempting this trade would be engaging in really risky speculation on whether or not they could sign him. He would have a lot of leverage in that situation that he doesn't have now.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Pretty much. At this point unless a team is both lacking a true #1 WR and sees at least one, likely two, of their current top WR options go down to injury, I really can't see anyone making an offer for VJ that AJ would bite on. You've got to remember that this is the same AJ that was believed to have turned down an offer of a 1st for Michael Turner in his final year (IIRC) because he felt he held more value to the team as a 2nd-back in the playoffs (which he ended up being when LT was injured and couldn't play against the Pats).

Jackson and McNeil are holding out right now because it quite literally is the only leverage they have. For the moment, most teams are going to be content to ride with what they've got into camp and see how their current corps produce.

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    mcneil and jackson are getting very bad advice by thier shifty stupid agents.

They're gonna without pay for very possibly 2 years or longer what with the impending strike/lockout.

get the 3+ million tendered money and ride out the strike/lockout with some money. Otherwise you'll be living with your grumpy mother and father very soon.:yes:

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Matt Millen is no longer the GM there so Det will not be doing anything as stupid as trading CJ for a rockhead holdout. They have CJ signed thru 2012.