1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vincent Jackson will be our Next Great Offensive Star!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Sep 6, 2006.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Laugh if you want, just like many of you mocked me when I predicted Antonio Gates would become an all-pro before his second season in the league.

As for VJ, I see alot of similarities between he and Gates. The thing that impressed me with Antonio was the potential he showed in his rookie year despite the fact he had not played college football. While VJ played college ball, it was small college. Usually the small college guys take a bit longer to adjust to the speed and physicality of the pro game.

But VJ has never looked like he didn't belong. He has appeared dominant at times, an amazing feat for a small college guy that missed most of his rookie season with an injury. I'm sure the mere mention of injuries will cause T-Dog and others to question the general health of the VJ's labia, but VJ does not strike me as being fragile. He had a nagging injury last year. The only reason it kept him out as long as it did is because VJ pushed too hard to come back. He wanted to play, wanted to prove himself. That kind of desire will be an asset over the course of his career.

As for his injury this preseason, I don't think scratching a lung after ramming into a dolly makes you a puzzy. In his lone preseason appearance this year, VJ was physical. He shook off several big hits, not the least of which was provided by the dolly, and made play after play. While GB sucks as a team, their CBs are pretty good, and VJ looked practically uncoverable.

As for his health, VJ has been practicing for three weeks and he is ready to go. He probably could have played two weeks ago if it was the regular season, but Schotty and the medical staff made the right call in keeping VJ out of a couple meaningless games.

Physically, VJ is a beast. He's as big and strong a WR as you will find in the league, and he runs like a guy who's 6'1. The guy has the speed, size and strength to stretch the field like no other receiver on the Bolts' roster. He and Rivers seem to have developed a repoire, too. All of this adds up to a breakout year for Mr. Jackson. By the end of the season, there will be no debate as to the identity of our best WR. Jackson will rise above our other WRs and offer a glimpse of how he's going to dominate for years to come. In Dallas they talked about the triplets. By this time next year, the national media will be talking about San Diego's quadruplets. :icon_banana: :tup: :yes: :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Thanks, buddy. I don't think VJ is as soft as some of you think. He will prove it this year. :icon_toast:

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I think he is "softer". He will have to show some stones ....Eric Parker was suspected of being a pusssy as well in the beginning but he prevailed over time so the stench may lift ....

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    OK sb called his shot so I'll give him that but I need to see a helluva lot more than taking out a dolly to convince me. :bolt:

5. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Did you see him school Al Harris and another GB CB on back to back plays? Did you see him catch a slant over the middle on third and three and hold onto the ball after getting smacked? Did you see him fight to get open on 3rd and 2 to get another first down? Did you see him run a deep in route to perfection to pick up a first down on 3rd and long?

When he was in there, VJ was the most impressive offensive player we had this preseason.

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    VJ is a beast I don't think anyone has questions as to whether or not he'll be a superstar if he plays, he just needs to... play :icon_mrgreen:

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I saw all of it and I like the guy but I hesitate only because he's been injured quite a bit. When we were at the game Fri night we couldn't believe how big he was in person. I get it. That said I need to see it in the reg season especially against division rivals. I also remember the catches he made against the Colts last year so I know what he can do.

I hope you're right. :bolt:

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think the Jackson injury stuff is overplayed. This preseason's injury was a freak occurence. If it had happened in the regular season, VJ would have missed one game at the most. The guy is going to dominate this year. He will not be denied.

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

I agree but only if he can stay healthy. So far he has been much too fragile. It hasnt been said that his injury happened wit that dolly and im betting it wasnt. I think it happened when he fell on the ball but thats irrelevent. We havent had any word on when he is going to return and its been nearly a month since that game.

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Well he played one game....and he played well, but the most impresssive to me has been Turner.

We need VJ to be healthy this year.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    The rapport that Vince and Philip have created from working on the scout teams last season will carry over to success on the field this year.

I agree, VJ is gonna kick ***.

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes, I thought about Turner as I was typing that. The Burner was nails.

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'm with you boltssbbound.

VJ breaks out this season and becomes a STAR !!!

14. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    VJ will be just fine. Hornblower thinks that if you get injured and the bone isn't sticking out of the skin than you're a puzzy. Just cause the alcohol has killed all his nerve endings he expects everyone else to be that way as well.

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

You are just jealous because I have higher threshold for pain and man-lee-ness.

This is pathetic.

Yall are "soft" and have no gumption (did I say gumption?) for a whack across the bridge of the nose and to come back fighting.

A hang nail keeps you in bed whereas Ken Caminiti (Padres) took pliers and yanked the whore out after a drug induced bender and home run/MVP streak.

I smell soft underbellies......and tender ....... :icon_eek: :icon_banana:

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Personally, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that by the time this season is over, Vincent Jackson will be one of the most dominant players, let alone receiver in the league. In a line up that includes Jackson, Gates, McCardell and Parker(both merely very good) as the primary targets, you have the additional threat of LT coming out of the backfield. Both Jackson and Gates are going to command double coverage, and no, linebackers won't get the job done. Do the math. No one will be able to stack the box, but with LT's threat as a runner, no one can play off the line, either. Spreading the field give LT a license to run riot. Filling the gaps leaves lanes to receivers that can be spotted from goal post to goal post. Rivers is the guy who'll make it or break it. :yes:

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I did the same thing but it was when I saw him in camp.

The season ticket holders around me were going "who" and then "yeah right". I said watch and mark my words. :yes:

18. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    At the 2004 season opener, the Texans fans around us were saying, "Who the hell is that TE #85?" We laughed.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Good post !

I am not sure if Jackson "demands" double coverage. Gates - yes.

They have use a "bracketing technique" on Gates with an over/under or someone trailing and squeezing off the top. This will be any combo of defensive dudes (LB's, CB's, SS, FS).

I don't think Rivers will be the make or break guy either.

I suspect this will be the defense as a unit because that is what wins championships and not the QB (although he is critical).

20. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    That was a meadering post of "fooberian" proportions.

Congratulations, you are now officially an old fart, since old farts are the only people that use the word gumption.

21. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

I was at that game :icon_banana:

I told all my Texan buddies that Gates was gonna eat them alive.

22. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

:trout: :trout: :trout: :trout: :trout: :trout: :trout:

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Wow...and I believe you. :yes:

Gates was one of the best kept secrets...until he committed stardom....the fugger. :icon_mrgreen:

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    foober is like a fine wine...it gets better with age. :icon_eek:

I know all the "your mama" jokes as well. :icon_mrgreen:

Compliments of being an old fart.....:icon_banana:

25. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Has anyone ever even heard of a scratched lung? I haven't.:icon_shrug: :lol:

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Since when do I need your fuggin endorsement?:icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

I have over 25k posts since joining the net 24 months ago or so. My PM's are flooded with requests for my own show.......Soon - you will enshrine me like you have Mel Kiper's ***......and it all started here at Bolttalk.com....ok the UT boards but they are lagging and so is Chargers.com.

I roll with only winners. :icon_banana: :nana_dance: :nana_dance: :nana_dance: :nana_dance: :nana_dance: :nana_rasta: