1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

VJ at TE vs Colts ???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The other day, I was just "talking out loud" on some Chargers thoughts in the Rep Ho thread .....
    If this was a 3-4 team with big LB's, then going more "jumbo" (see below) might be the answer. However, the Tampa-2 style that Indy runs is built more on speed than size. Why not ratchet up the "speed" on our side some by using VJ as the TE? Gates lines up all over the place anyway, not just off an OT's shoulder. It would give more 3 wide looks, when we are just running the same offense we had been running. If Indy counters with a nickel package, then we run the ball. If they stay in their base set, then we get a favorable matchup of VJ on an LB or safety.

So, last night, Kevin Acee updated his Mailbag.

"Dave" didn't even ask about VJ .... but Acee just interjected that in there? Why?

In Bill Center's UT article this morning, we got the party line on replacing Gates, and the background on the jumbo packages we saw vs TENN, and likely will see in Indy.

I'm not saying the Bolts should use VJ on every play to replace Gates, but using him in various packages as the TE would put extra pressure on the Indy defense. It might LOOK like the Chargers are using a three wide receiver set, but it will just be our base offense with a tweak in personnel.

Just a gut feeling ..... especially after that little blurb by Acee last night in his mailbag. Watch for it ....

2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Thats pretty funny shammy cause I was talking to a buddy of mine the other night....And I had told him you know if Gates doesnt play we ought to line up VJ at TE and match him up with LB's all day...That my friend would be rather interesting to see him with that type of man to man matchup cause I think that would be downright abusive!

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I mentioned Naanee before because he practices at TE, and in preseason lined up at TE.

He has been playing QB (emulating VY) so it would be ool to see a backwards pass to Naanee at TE or WR, then a long pass to someone as the defense rushed him...

But that is probably a pipe dream.

I hope we start mixing things up a bit soon. I want to punch Indy in the mouth hard.

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    7-0 = keep chopping wood. No need to "start mixing things up" and getting cute. That was Cam Camoron's forte, and he proved that it didn't work.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I disagree. The teams now have a season of video to see us running up the middle off center all day long.

Of late you can count the number of screen passes on one hand and still have fingers left.

It is indeed time to as you so eloquently put it, get cute. It is time to hit them with something they are not ready for nor expect.

Does that mean a wholesale rewriting of the playbook? Not to me, but I do call for something new, something not on every game day footage. If in that, you and I part company in out reasonings, so be it. I will rest assured that we will meet again as the victory is celebrated!

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I was flipping stations last night and stopped on ESPN just long enough to hear their wonder boy Brady being interviewed. The one thing he said (in the 10 seconds I listened) was that they hardly ever line up in the same formation twice.
    That comment stuck out. There is a big difference between cute (Cam Cameron) and being innovative. We've got to keep them guessing and off balance.
    I'm in favor of giving the ponies different looks, keep the tempo of the game high, and kick some *** out there.

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Zactly my bolt brother! ZACTLY!

CRY HAVOC AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I agree with EC. Being cute, with gadget and gimmicks will get you in trouble.

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It is amazing how many of you jump to 'being cute' when people say we should switch things up... Oh well, I am glad I dont live in a black and white world...

12. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    just the (published) hint or threat of the Cro's & VJ's in different alignments is enough of a distraction for the DC... kinda like the draft, misinformation is a valuable commodity...:yes:

13. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I think VJ could do a pretty good job at TE for us, actually. And it'd be a good way to confuse the Colts, at least for a little while. It makes sense to me - and I don't think it's getting cute (or at least too cute).

I think it's an innovative way to use the hand that's been dealt to us.

14. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I think there is a lot we haven't seen but we are prepared for. It's all coaching philosophy.

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I dunno'bout dat, but I'm watching the replay of the TD to VJ and it happened exactly as bssb described. That may be the finest analysys of a play by a poster ever!! :tup:

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I don't see how the writeup dictates that saying we could use a few different plays equates to being 'cute'. You have responded to each posting saying that with 'word' which means you agree.

So I don't see how they relate.

Fact of the matter is, of late we have almost stopped using screen passes. We rarely run outside. Has LT even tossed a pass this season? The answer is yes 1. So how is implementing a screen pass, run outside, or an LT pass getting 'cute'.

Seems to me the lot of you are jumping to some pretty big conclusions.

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    BT clearly needs a "jumping to conclusions" smilie :icon_eek:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    True dat...

19. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    You were the one suggesting that they throw in a play with Naanee passing the ball. That would be "cute".

A gadget play that goes bad usually goes really bad and smacks of desperation.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How is that cute if he has been doing just that in practice? Open your mind and your *** will follow.

Is LT passing a gadget play? Have we been desperate against the Raiders? Really?

21. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    dude, i wanna see fricken jamal "the wall" at fullback or something. hed be THE JUGGERNAUT B*********************TCH!!!!!!!!

22. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151

Naw, Jamal is going to take VJ's spot at WR.

23. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I heard the interview as well. You could tell by his response that the coaching staff hadn't approached him about playing TE, and that VJ wasn't enternaining the notion at all.

Unless VJ was trying to misdirect the media, but he isn't smart enough to pull that off.

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    VJ scored around 45 on the Wonderlic. Trust me, he's capable of outsmarting you. :abq1:

25. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    :abq2::abq2::abq2:

The dude is a fricken genius and he gets my vote for who will break out huge today. :yes: