1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

VJ/Mankins, who's in the better situation?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Oct 22, 2010.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Kwaksaw and others have critized AJ for putting VJ in the roster exemp list, arguing (stupidly) that VJ could be playing 3 weeks early, they fail to notice that VJ will report 3 weeks before Mankins because of it, giving VJ 3 extra weeks to work out and work his timing out with Philip. If VJ wasn't in the roster exempt list he would be showing up right before week 11.

2. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Not sure of the angle you're going for but I would say that VJ is because in the end he will more than likely end up with the bigger contract.

3. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    The "angle" is that some critics think that VJ could have played 3 more weeks if AJ hadn't placed VJ in the roster exempt list, failing to realize that he would just show up 3 weeks later, and not being nearly as ready to play as he will be with 3 weeks of practice.

So, for the Chargers, placing him in the REL was a good thing, not something to critizise

4. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Gotcha on that...no harm no foul. Nothing bad was meant by the word "angle", maybe just a bad use of word on my part. In your scenario it is more of a Chargers make out better then the Patriots since our guy will be (should be) in better football playing condition. Plus, BRady seems to have pretty decent protection right now and as of now.....we be hurtin for some WR help but we'll see what happens by week 10.

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    of course VJ will make more money traditionally Wide receivers do make more than Lineman.

Both get their 1 year tenure, and both will be RFA’s the next time the NFL comes together for a season. No one is in a better position.

BUT…………………..

If you look at it from a players standpoint Mankins is in a better position. He had all ready had a contract negotiated; he did not respond to a “Public Apology” that Kraft demanded. VJ still has to deal with those DUI’s and the possibility of serving a one year suspension if he gets caught again. How many teams do you think will pay him with a long term contract with that hanging over his head?

6. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Fixed it for ya.

I don't see VJ having any issue getting a LT deal done. I can swing it right back at ya and say if they both get franchise tagged then VJ will be making more money (I'm only guessing) because I'm sure WR will average more then OL (guard). Guess this falls in a long line of......we'll just have to wait and see.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    I do. He's a wide receiver. I don't foresee anyone signing him to play LT.

8. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    Bazinga!?

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422

10. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Oh no....you're not one of those are you?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

thanks I was at work and was multi tasking!

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    So was I but I vowed not to actually work today and spent all day on Bolts message boards, figuring out my football pool and all other kinds of crap. Just wasn't in the mood to quite.....do what I get paid to do today. :lol:

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I have so much going right now I really cant afford not to be at work right now. I was promoted back in January and my one year temporary status is about to come to an end. I should pick up permanent in January but I am not going to do anything to put that in jeopardy right now. I have one month of leave on the books that has to be used between now and the end of December, I do not how I am going to use all of that. I may look into donating it to someone who needs it because of a medical condition. Once I make permanent, my Retirement is set for life.

14. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    My company started to do that last year. Anyone can donate any unused sick, personal or vacation time that goes into a big pool and is used for anyone needing it for the "right" purpose. My manager is a dick and I got screwed out of it when I was in the hospital a couple of years ago for a week in pretty bad condition. Did I mention my manager was a DICK?!? :lol: