1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

VJ, McNeill might have reprieve

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Kevin Acee
    Monday, June 14, 2010 p.m.30 4:58 p.m.

Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill are not going to sign their one-year contract tenders, so it really doesn't matter.
    Most in the league are working today under the impression that at 8:59 p.m. (PT) tonight teams have the right to replace the original tender of a restricted free agent who has not signed with a tender that is equal to 110 percent of their 2009 salary.
    But sources working with another team's unsigned RFA on the East Coast say there is some ambiguity in the rule and that the actual deadline for teams to lower the tender is tomorrow at midnight.
    The point here for Chargers fans is that it really doesn't matter. But maybe, just maybe, McNeill has a change of heart in the extra 24 hours and decides to come in and play.
    But whether it's tonight or tomorrow, when they don't sign their contracts, the 2010 salaries for Jackson and McNeill will be lowered and barring negotiation of a long-term deal for one or both in the interim, it is almost certain neither will show up until the bye week in November.

2. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    McNeill sorta signed off of Twitter today. He must be going into the basement for some time. I really dont know what they can expect to gain by sitting out past August? :icon_huh:

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I can;t figure out what the team is gaining by refusing to even negotiate with the players, even if all they are doing is low balling the players.

Yes they may be putting money in their pocket this year, but long term this hard line stance will hurt the team by pushing 2 of the youngest and best players into wanting to leave ASAP

5. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    McNeil is not worth much more than 3m per year. He should come in and sign and work on a long term deal.

Jackson is now in an elite class at his position so has a better argument for staying away.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    You can't jump to these kinds of conclusions without knowing what Jackson and McNeil's demands were.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Does Acee suffer from multiple concussions?

8. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Without knowing what the new CBA will look like, it's not very smart to work out a long term deal, what if we sign them for hella money and the salary cap is a lot lower than what we had anticipated? We'd be fcuked for a long while and can't re-sign other important players in the upcoming years.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So McNeil isn't in the elite class at his position? :icon_rofl:

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't know what they were, and neither does AJ since he refused to even discuss long term deals

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    But it was smart to do so with Rivers? Why the double standard?

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Well not only will we not see them for most of the year they are definitely not going to be Chargers after this year, which means we now have two more big needs for next year

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    That doesn't mean he doesn't know what their demands were.

It only means he doesn't feel the need to negotiate different terms.

There's a difference.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    If (which I acknowledge as a sizable "if") the current WRs minus-VJ prove themselves it may really only be one hole.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Considering our alternatives at the two positions he's the bigger need of the two.

That doesn't make him an elite LT. It just makes him better than the 2nd string.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Rivers wasn't threatening to hold out if he didn't get a new contract.

17. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Also, Rivers is an Elite QB, there was no need to hold out, it would have never happened, so no double standard existed. AJ, and the Chargers would have been nuts to play hard ball with Rivers. While VJ, and McNeill are valuable to the team, and may be in the discussion of top players in their respective positions, Rivers an elite QB which trumps them, or any other position.

That said, I just wish they would have signed them both, it aint my money! :lol:

18. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I understand that business is business but MM and VJ don't have a leg to stand on and I feel completely screwed as a Charger fan.

If this drags on past training camp, they are both dead to me.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I wish I worked in a field where I can feel insulted by a multi-million dollar contract offer.

20. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    You don't build a franchise around a WR now do you buddy? Of the 74 #1 overall picks, there has only been ONE WR drafted and that was Keyshawn Johnson in 96 by the Jets; there have been 27 QBs chosen #1. Note the success of the Jets' franchise, one Superbowl appearance and that was in what? '69?

21. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I got a DM from him today. I think he is still around, just not responding in public? :icon_shrug:

22. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    This has waaaaaay bigger repercussions than just losing money, or not having use of VJ & MM till november..

...the sour atmosphere that will be created around all this cause VJ and MM to look elswhere for jobs next year and there will be no shortage of teams to pick them up and pay them what they want! To think anything else is just plain naieve.

Next year we will be looking for a first round talent LT and WR...and maybe we will be in a position to pick up a top 10 talent next year hehe lol:icon_rofl:

23. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I really believe mcneil and jackson are living in a fools paradise. They are believeing what their agents are telling them. Fools. They're gonna learn a big lesson in buisness the next two years without money coming in.

They're only way out of this mess now is to sign a fair long term contract with the chargers otherwise they'll be without a paycheck for these next two years.

I'm still intrigued with merriman. Something different is happening with him. When he changed agents and then the agent talked for so long with the chargers and then not putting a penalty on him if he didn't sign his tender. Something is going on with that.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    What penalty would they put on him? His tender is already right at the 110% amount. He loses NOTHING by waiting to sign. Nothing.

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't have anything against VJ and Big Mac making a fair amount of money. It's when these player's and owner's want to complain about how much they aren't making. If it cost a nickle to **** right now, a lot of folks would have to vomit. No, I don't give a damn about their special talent, tell that story to some kid's mom that just buried her child after being killed in action. They could cancel the season right now and it wouldn't matter to me. I'm tired of all the whining from the "pro's" and owner's.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Perhaps in their off time they can go skim some oil from the Gulf. :icon_evil:

27. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    This is just making it easier to take a big step back (as a fan) and start preparing for no football in 2011.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Out of curiosity, why do you seem to be overjoyed by your prediction of doom and gloom?