1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

VJ to Report

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by in_a_days, Oct 13, 2010.

1. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    REPORT: Jackson to report

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    I feel like it was a foregone conclusion that VJ would have to sign his tender eventually so he could guarantee an acrued season toward FA.

But it means nothing, because we can't force him to play, and we certainly don't want a guy out there who's dogging it.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,640
    No surprise. I'm sure once he's in uniform and on the field he won't dog it. He's gonna be auditioning for 31 other teams, the last thing he wants them to see is him playing like a bitch and pouting.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Agreed.

Unless VJ really wants to play for the Chargers keep him on the bench.

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Despite what I just posted, RTL has a valid point here.

It doesn't really change my opinion because I still say bench him if he doesn't want to play.

However, RTL's point tells me that he will want to play and therefore we won't need to bench him.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    I don't think VJ would dog it. If he goes out and kills it for 6+ games, he might become the highest paid receiver in the league.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Come to think of it, not only will he not dog it he'll probably be extra motivated.

Malcolm Floyd's production, as well as the overall productivity of the Chargers passing game without Vincent Jackson in the lineup is killing VJ's value. He needs to go in there and prove that he can make what's already proving to be a great passing game on its own 100x better because of how good he is.

8. setanta74

setanta74 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    How much money do these guys really need. Id love it if guys played for the team and not for themselves but Im not naive enough to think this can happen to a lot of guys in the NFL.

I cant get my head around these guys sitting out games because they want a few million more than the few million they are already getting.

If he suits up then I'd play him but if he doesnt put his heart and soul into it then bench him. As much as I'd love to bench him for the season I'd rather us go all the way with a fired up VJ than stumble along without him.

You see, I have no morals. Win at all costs ;-)

9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I've been thinking that Rivers just makes VJ look good. I wonder if he's an average or maybe slightly above average receiver.

10. setanta74

setanta74 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Good point. In fairness I think Rivers would many any WR's look good as he just such a damn fine QB.

11. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    There is nothing to indicate that Jackson, or any other player who will have five accrued seasons and an expired contract at year's end, will need a sixth season of service to qualify for free agency when a new CBA is agreed upon. This really makes no sense whatsoever. Jackson may well report, but the reasoning here is false. Further, as others have noted, this is not the manner in which you want a player to report.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    I doubt that any player will put their hopes in a document that has yet to be written. He is stupid if he does.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is pretty much what we all thought about Merriman also, and I have a feeling Merriman will end up signing with another team and be productive, showing that he was just dogging it here

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would love for the players AND owner to make less and for us fans to get a break, but that will never happen.

15. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I just wish he would come to his senses and fire his agents. I mean he's a great WR, but like most of you said, a LOT of it has to do with Rivers. Just see that we haven't missed a BEAT offensively and VJ isn't even on the field! I mean if a QB like Matt Cassell was throwing to VJ he wouldn't be as effective (although lucky for them our ST sucked he did beat us). VJ probably isn't as good as him and his agents think he is and there is no WAY I would give him Brandon Marshall type $$. Maybe half. If he wouldn't have the DUI's and STUPID untimely penalties on the field AJ would have probably at least worked with him. We'll see what happens from here.

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,383
    I guess you missed the part of the article that stated the NFLPA is recommending that these players report in time to accrue another year of service because of the risk of them remaining restricted free agents next season if they do not. Who's opinion should we trust more on this topic? Yours or the NFLPA? Obviously, you trust your own opinon more than the NFLPA's. I think I'll trust the opinion of the NFLPA's experts on this matter.

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Maybe I'm just blanking, but what stupid untimely penalties has VJ committed in his career? I don't really remember any.

18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,383
    I don't think Merriman was released because he was dogging it. I think he was released because the Chargers felt that they could no longer hold a roster sport for a player that was averaging 10 snaps every other game due to injuries.

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    With the guys we have coming up for FA (Weddle, Siler, Floyd, Naanee, Burnett, Tolbert (exclusive), Cooper, Dombrowski etc...) And after giving Marcus, Rivers, and Gates big contracts I don't see the Chargers breaking the bank for a headcase WR. Espescially when it doesn't look like we miss him all that much, except maybe he gets open a little quicker and allows Rivers to get the ball out faster.

I think we let him walk, or tag and trade him, and then draft a WR like Baldwin, Green, Tolliver, or Floyd.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I see it different, and only time will tell. I think he has been banged up, just like 90% of the league, but where he may have played through it 2 years ago, he has shut it down. Once he goes to another team where he feels wanted, I don't think the injuries will be an issue. But only time will tell

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think anyone really expects him to get a new deal. The issue is, why not trade him rather than letting him walk for nothing in return?

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I told all of you this would happen. Most wanted VJ gone. I did not read one post which supported VJ. Now VJ will sign and play his *** off unless he wants to sandbag like Merriman and end up on the IR.

VJ does not strike me as a sandbagger like Merriman. I posted Merriman would come up lame after this game and viola. He cashed this season in because we did not show him the love. And I am sure there are still fans who think this is all coincidence and poor Merriman....yeah right.

F-him and good riddance.

23. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    You still don't get it or understand what is going on in the CBA. There is currently a clause that states that if a RFA holds out the entire year, then the player will be a RFA again the following year. NFLPA is recommending that they report because they feel that this clause will be in the new CBA extension. It has nothing to do with how many accrued seasons are in the new CBA to qualify for FA.

24. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Did you miss the playoff game vs the Jets when he kicked the red challenge flag?

25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +449
    Why wasn't Merriman put on regular IR?. What's with this 'less than 6 weeks recovery injury' thingie?. What is the thinking berhind it?. The guy has already cashed in has he not, it's not a money saving thing is it?. I don't get it. Why just let him walk away?, couldn't he have been franchised in 2011 and then traded?. Yes I know his value is in the gutter but what if he got himself healthy and played lights out the last 6 games of reg season and the playoffs say?. He'd have some value then right (albeit a long shot).

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Merriman's been "dogging it" for 2 years now.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I don't want a player who only plays when he feels like it, anyways.

Good riddance even if this is true.

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    AJ had been trying to trade Merriman. No takers. IR does not save the team money. The player gets paid. Teams can not cut injured players so we IR him. When he gets better he is cut. IR also opens a roster spot for someone who cares. No need to franchise tag because Merriman is not worth the tag plus no one will even pay draft picks.....remember AJ already tried. Teams know Merriman is a UFA next year so there is no need to give up anything in picks now.

That is why.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Regular IR ? There is only one IR list

30. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Which one of you was the expert who so confidently said VJ would never report due to the new CBA would let him walk? The Denver dude right? I think my call of reporting by week 10, 400k in pay, a SB ring, and then out the door is looking pretty good right now.