1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

VJ to speak on NFL Total Access

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chavez, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    7PM EST. Should be interesting.

:popcorn:

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    They just showed a clip during the Pats-Rams preseason game. He was asked "do you see yourself being a Charger this season?" His reply was "they have my rights, so, yes. I would put on that uniform."

3. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    could somebody post the link in this thread once its available?

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Wow, this ought to be very interesting. Good find. Someone post the interview if you can.

jacksons and mcneils agents are angling for only one thing. Huge paychecks. For them the agents. I wonder if the agents are charging interest on the money they are lending to mcneil and jackson.

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Jackson would like to be a Charger, but he wants fair pay

• By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
    • Published: Aug. 27, 2010 at 05:26 p.m

Editor's note: NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora sat down for an exclusive interview with Vincent Jackson, who's training in Arizona while holding out from the San Diego Chargers over his contract situation. The interview will air Friday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access," which starts at 7 p.m. ET, but here are La Canfora's initial thoughts after talking with Jackson.

I would say in general that Jackson seemed at ease, almost placid and reasoned about everything. He's a thoughtful guy who doesn't really want the spotlight but clearly understands the problems he's caused for himself and their severity.

I felt like I needed to double back on him a few times on the DUIs and the idea that he'd sit out the entire season, and he was resolute about both. While not being around football is stinging him, I can't see him ever playing for that $600,000 restricted free agent tender.

We chatted for a good bit off camera as well, and he seems generally confused as to the Chargers' stance. I believe he would indeed love to remain a Charger, as he says, and he loves the area, the system and his teammates. But if a trade came along, he gets the business and wouldn't fight it.

Jackson believes much of this is out of his control and ultimately wants fair compensation and some long-term security after productive years in this league. It's a gamble for any general manager, however, and an impasse that might not be resolved for quite some time

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  7. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Never seen anything like it. Jackson just handed the whole deck to Smith. If I'm his agent, I'm saying, you just caved dude, can't do anything for you.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    If?? I thought you were...
    Mark come clean! What is your agenda or your concern with our team?

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    C'mon. We have all seen this before.

Does Jason Ball ring a bell ?

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    He wants fair pay....ha!

I guess it depends on how you define fair I guess. Is a egotistical WR with legal issues and an inflated sense of self worth 50 million dollars?

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    And it pissed me off a lot when NFL Network called VJack..."Philip Rivers security blanket" as if Rivers couldn't live without him. Its been clear since day 1 Gates is the biggest game in town.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Fair pay is what VJ was offered in his tender and which was collectively bargained for in the CBA.

What VJ wants is fair market value and not fair pay.

Let the dude sit. Watch the VJ jackpot grow and then cash in.

Bada bing :bolt:

13. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    This is interesting. After Jackson's interview w/Lacanfora
    Michael Lombardi made this comment:

"Well Fran, I think the misconception here that all the fans need to understand is Vincent Jackson was a restricted free agent for 2 1/2 months. He had the ability to go out to any team, entertain any offer that team wanted to make and then compensate the Chargers, much like Brandon Marshall did. So this is a little bit misunderstood, he's had availability to all 31 teams, he hasn't done anything with it and therefore he's now in this situation. Restricted free agency typically means that once you don't get an offer you then re-sign with your team. He's cost himself a lot of money. ..."

This is beyond belief. I wish I could say I understand this all better, but I don't.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That much is obvious. :lol:

15. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Let me help you sort this out: VJ is an immature knucklehead with an over-inflated sense of his market value and his agent is a world-class idiot who gives bad advice to his clients.

I hope this helps. :yes:

16. S.D.Love

S.D.Love Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    :yes:YES!:yes:

1. Because we have a better chance at winning the Superbowl.:blink: :icon_lick:

2. Because the games will be 200 times more entertaining and exciting with VJ playing on the field.:nana_rasta::nana_love::nana_guitar:

Haters gonna hate. Players gonna play. Ballers gonna Ball. :icon_beer:

17. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    I would prefer we cut him a long term deal. He is worth it. For a top shelf wr he is NOT a head case. Looking at our games last season, he was indispensable. Letting him go is a mistake. That's all I have to say about it. I'd like to see him in bolts for a long time.

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Here is a bit of Free Agency 101 for you.

From Feb 27 THRU April 17th VJ could have gone shopping to all the other 31 teams. During that time ANY team could have offered him a contract and that team would have to give the chargers 1 and 3 draft picks OR they could have worked out other draft compensation which is EXACTLY what happened with Brandon Marshall.

Marshall's agent went shopping for his client and found a buyer in MIA and they worked out the compensation of 2 2nd round picks instead of the 1st he was tendered. Once a trading partner was found, Marshal signed his RFA tender and was traded to MIA.

VJ could have done the same thing, but he didn't.

The is what Lombardi was saying.

If his agent did go shopping then most GMs likely responded to the asking price of 5yr/50M with 30M guaranteed with an outburst of laughter followed by the "click" sound.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    2 DUIs, getting pulled over with a suspended license on the way to a playoff game?

Head case maybe not, rock head, dumbass, moron yes.

20. S.D.Love

S.D.Love Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Ditto! :yes::tup:

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Best post on this miserable subject. :icon_toast:

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The only way VJ gets a long term deal is if he pulls the Luis Castillo card.

In other words, VJ has to promise he will give back all of his guaranteed bonus money if he is popped for anything....I mean anything which resembles moral terpitude. That is a start otherwise, VJ stating on the NFL Network that "it" will never happen again is not going to cut the mustard.

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Isn't Jackson's agent(s) the same one(s) who represent Revis?

Could it be possible that he/they just didn't do their jobs for Jackson and instead were doing the Revis Island Mambo during his free agent shopping period?

Now they're coming back to VJ and telling him they'll support him until a deal comes through. Meanwhile, VJ is telling the world that he doesn't get involved in the deals and he leaves it to his agents. Yet, his agents authorize him to do an interview on NFL Network the night of his team's national game vs. the World Champs.

Sounds like he needs to pull his head out of the sand (ie, his a.ss), ask some hard questions, and get some real answers from his agent about what his real future is. Because it sounds like he doesn't haven't a clue.

Whaddy'a say, Mark? Did you or did you not do any shopping for your client during that 2.5 month time frame? :icon_shrug::lol:

24. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Kwak:

I understand what Lombardi said, and it's quite apparent that Jackson did not shop his wares, so like Trumpet, Buck and Cheapseats, your lop-sided drivel is what it often is. A complete diversion from reality! I don't know how any objective soul could've watched that interview and not been impressed with Vincent Jackson. Now I am confused as to why Jackson's camp didn't establish his market value but I'm most certain the answer isn't because he's a knucklehead or his agent is incompetent. Those sentiments are nothing but the result of constant disinformation propagated by Smith's publicist, Kevin Acne.

As I would like Vincent Jackson to play for Washington, I was initially discouraged with what he said. My take now is not unlike what others have voiced, Jackson handled himself like a real professional, displayed no ill-will toward AJ Smith and really, came across as a guy who wanted to remain a Charger. I retract my earlier comment suggesting that he said anything to undermine his value. On the contrary, he proved himself all the more worthy of considerable investment.

On the subject of how his camp proceeded, two possibilities are: 1) that every other NFL executive knew Smith would expect the world in compensation, so they didn't even bother looking at Jackson back then, and thus, testing the waters was fruitless. 2) Jackson wanted to show his loyalty to the team and trust in AJ Smith do right by him. Thing is, that would seem to imply that Jackson believed he was part of the Chargers long-term plans. Perhaps both these scenarios carry some weight, but more so there are additional factors that we, or certainly I, have no knowledge of.

What the interview did establish was that Jackson is fully committed and it's a major misread if Smith is thinking he's bluffing. It is Smith who has a decision to make. One point we do have right is that if nothing transpires it is the Chargers who lose! If the front office has no interest in even coming close to meeting any of Jackson's demands, then their best move now is to trade. I think it's telling that Smith has to wait for a desperate team, a convenient circumstance to come along in order for his demands to gain traction. That would seem indicative of everyone interested in Jackson knowing that he's done in San Diego and they are ignoring Smith's compensation demands.

Another aspect to consider is whether the interest in Jackson is increasing? I believe it is, and this would imply that Smith's leverage is what's waning!

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    ...or not.

:icon_rofl:

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well now you've gone & done it. :lol:

Suck my lop-sided crank. :flag: :icon_banana: :bolt:

27. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I would have to say that a lot of teams have interest in Vincent Jackson....just not at his asking price.

I watched the interview , and yes, he said a lot of "the right things", but what else is he going to say? The Chargers have his rights through this season so doing his first public interview right before a nationally televised Charger game seems a little too calculated for me.

If he truly "loves football" as much as he says he does, he should sign with the team, get back in the mix and spend 2010 convincing everybody that he is worth a big money deal. This means 100% effort, no stupid penalties on the field and absolutely no issues off the field...not even an overdue library book! If he were to do this, someone will open their checkbook up for him...probably not the Chargers, but somebody will.

28. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    This is a director's cut movie film interview. VJ says he only
    is eager to play football and won't have any legal issues again.
    He is driven by his agent to get unbelievable 50 Mio $ and
    doesn't notice he'll get out of this season with nothing.

29. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    That's it !

30. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Everything is everything. Pork be pork. 1 = 1. Tautologies are proverbs for simpletons.