1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

VJ would "love" to stay in SD

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    espn_afcwest
    Jackson would love to stay in San Diego - Jackson would love to stay in San Diego - AFC West Blog - ESPN

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Compromise on both sides. Let the team add a behavioral clause where they can recoup the money.

3. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    VJ is still dead to me. No player is bigger than the team. If the Chargers sign him, I won't object, but I will never cheer for him again.

4. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm more concerned with the now. He will produce for us even if it's to raise his stock. His attitude seemed better this game with good swagger and sideline banter so I'm confident things will get better between him and the front office.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I agree to a point. I will cheer for him while he is in Bolts. Or more accurately I will cheer for the TEAM! But if he goes, good riddance.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'm sure he would love to stay in San Diego, but is he willing to pay the price?

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Why so?.

8. Vespy

Vespy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I hope he stays it would be awesome to have him long-term and make us a force for the next few years.

9. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I would love to see him signed long term, but I am unsure that the Chargers are willing to pay him the $10M per year he was asking for earlier. It remains to be seen if VJ will take a lesser amount or not and if another team will pony up that large amount for him. I do see a possilble FT next season.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I get it and to an extent share the sentiment. The writing was on the wall for Jackson... holdouts aren't going to accomplish much of anything with AJ (re: Gates) and conversely, you toe the company line and that's the surest path to being first in line to be rewarded. However, even with a suspension pending to execute and coming off his third arrest since a member of this franchise, Vincent thought that the rules didn't (or shouldn't) apply to him.

That said, maybe it's just a gut instinct, but I have a feeling that the major point of conflict between VJ and our FO (or more specifically between Feinsod and our FO) may be that behavioral clause tied to the guaranteed monies of the contract. Like I said, I don't have a heck of a lot to base that off of, other than how Jackson and his representation have handled this entire ordeal, and I hope VJ proves me wrong. But I've just got a bad feeling that Feinsod is in Jackson's ear telling him that on the open market there will be one team that will both pay him the money he wants AND not put any limitations on his ability to collect (the "Well, what if you unknowing take a supplement that has a banned substance in it, and thus violate the substance abuse policy? The rules say you have to be suspended and then there goes all your guaranteed dough" argument).

11. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Im still not sure their going to sign him.. we a see how he plays these last 2 games and hopefully the playoffs

12. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I'm just glad he didn't get a DUI last night. I'm sure he was out celebrating his hat trick...

13. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    The way he conducted his business showed a serious character flaw, imo. I could even look past the DUI's and the bizzaro traffic stop before the playoff game, but deciding that the rules of free agency somehow didn't apply to him? Rejecting a maximum RFA offer and leaving his teammates in a lurch?

I suppose if he came to his senses, signed a reasonable long-term deal with the Chargers, gave 100% on the field AND kept his nose clean, I would raise my opinion from "Dead to me" to "meh".

14. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I know it has been a while since we have witnessed the power of AJ Smith. Do we soon forget the mighty strength of his sack?

15. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I think so too...if he behaves himself. ;)

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    IMO, there's a major disconnect between honoring AJ's "sack" & winning a championship.

Do we want a Lombardi or not? If so, we need to learn to manage some less-than-angelic personalities.

Otherwise, it becomes a "we'll win a Lombardi my way or else".

Maybe it can happen with choir boys - maybe not. I don't claim to know where the dividing line is between accepting bad behavior in light of winning a championship & maintaining your principles. A lot of folks say that AJ runs this ship the way that a business should be run. Maybe ..... I would submit that running a successful NFL team isn't like running many other businesses. Like it or not, a fair percentage of these athletes come from damn sketchy backgrounds. If not for their outstanding athletic abilities, support, & luck , many of these guys would end up on a slab before the age that they can enter the draft.

Does our organization know how to handle this dynamic? Again - I don't know. I submit that a damn few of us who are fans do know what is right.

AJ has made the statement, like most GM's, that he has a plan to bring a championship to San Diego.

He, by many accounts, told that to LT.

He may have said that to Philip.

I have one thing to say .... proof's in the pudding.

You either want to win it all & are able to manage acceptable variables or you're full of ****.

Which is it, AJ?

17. scottbbo1

scottbbo1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    that's an excellent point...kudos

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    OMG! KIMMMMMMIEEEEE!!!!!!

Happy Holidays Neighbor!

19. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Hey Kim!

Do you know what happened to the girl that did the voice of Kim Possible? Look it up! ;)

20. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Franchise him, make him perform on and off the field next year, and reward him with a big contract next Christmas if he keeps his nose clean.

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I see what you are saying. I mean man I am a "U" supporter so I don't know much about choir boys. :)

I think that other teams have won with the same philosophy. The Pats, Colts, Steelers (ditched Plax, but big Ben??)
    Only one team wins at the end.

22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :eek:

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    At this point, I honestly don't even care what happens. He is with us now until this season is over, let's make the most of it and win it all then it won't matter what happens.

Seize the moment, it may be your last.

24. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    True, True.

25. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    What he said!

26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    theres got to be more than we know with the jackson thing. HIs talent doesn't come around that often. And now that ladanian and merriman are gone we should have some extra bucks to keep him. So the big question is. What is really hampering not keeping him. Sumthing ain;'t right about all this.

27. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I been on the VJack bandwagon all along, I told you all we wouldn't trade him and that he would get offered a deal in the offseason. I've also defended AJ's position not to give him 50 million dollars.

If we can AFFORD keep him we should, its nice to have a QB who can make recievers look good.....its very nice to have a reciever who is actually good. That said we have some key players due for new deals including Weddle, Floyd, Siler, Burnett, Cooper, Clary, and after 2011 Garay could be a big one. I'm against spending big cash on WRs, but lets face it the talent difference between VJ and everyone else is huge, and all of our recievers including Gates seem to be injury prone.

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    My only reservation about the guy is that he's on tenuously thin ice for the remainder of his pro career as far as the league's concerned (I don't believe the league treats suspensions the same way the DMV treats points against your license, where after a certain period of time has elapsed with no ill behavior you recoup some of the ground you lost); that means anything, any little thing that he does consciously or inadvertently that violates the NFL Substance Abuse Policy (and obviously gets caught for it) and he's riding the pine for a year (and knowing Goodell he'd enforce a full 16-game suspension). This worries me just because there is literally no room for error; and we're the team that's had two guys get popped for inadvertently taking tainted supplements in the past decade.

So long as the team is safeguarded against having to pay out and eat a ton of money paid to a player on suspension, I'm all for signing him.

In a way, I look at it the same way I was trying to explain to some folks how, if by some slap-your-mama shocking moment, AJ Green were to fall to us in the draft. Now, particularly if VJ weren't on the roster any longer, WR isn't as pressing a need for this team because we've seen that our elite QB can produce with most any WR given to him... but that doesn't mean you should use that as the justification to not give him an elite receiving talent to work with if you can reasonably do so. (The "reasonable" part is the keyword; it's unreasonable to trade up for AJ Green, but if he falls in your lap at your natural pick, you'd better have Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald - and locked up for the foreseeable future - or a much more pressing need or you ought to consider taking him. I can't justify overpaying Jackson, but if his contract demands are "reasonable" (comparable to his level of play, but with the necessary safeguards that his past transgressions have "earned") then I don't see any reason not to make the attempt to keep him.

29. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Moral terpitude clauses are in every NFL contract which protects the teams. The issue is not one of laborious behavioral clauses which would hinder VJ from signing. That is a laymans excuse. This is a two way street.

Recent NFL Special Master Rulings protect players bonus's when they have violated behavioral clauses and this has teams concerned. It is a point of serious contention in the new CBA.

Read this link:

NFL Insider: Burress ruling angers league, may protect Stallworth's bonus despite accident | cleveland.com

30. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Happy Holidays to you too neighbor~hope the New Year will be great!