1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vjack starting to piss me off

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Oct 31, 2006.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    What is wrong with Vincent Jackson? Is he not in the game?, is he not getting open? Is Rivers just not passing to him?

He is an extremely talented athlete, he was supposed to be a star in the making, and hes only got 5 CATCHES FOR 67 YARDS!

Mabey we dont have enough passes to go around, but I think a talent like that shouldn't go to waste. Rivers needs to look for him more often.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Step away from my boy. VJ has caught 2 TDs this season, and he has been a run blocking force. Our offense is 2nd in the league in scoring and 3rd in the league in yards, so it's not like VJ is holding this offense back. There are alot of talented players on this roster and it's going to take VJ some time to establish himself.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I think it has more to do with not enough balls to go around, you have a run oriented offense, when they do pass its to LT, Gates, Parker and McCardell, VJ and Floyd are the 3rd and 4th recievers, Parker is playing great and McCardell is a veteran, I don't think VJ and Floyd will jump over them in the depth chart so they'll get 2 or 3 throws their way a game.

P.S. Boltssbbound, come defend your boy, again!

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Uh oh here we go......:icon_eek: :lol:

I did notice on sunday that he's in there quite a bit on running plays. I couldn't judge his blocks most of the time because the camera was focusing somewhere else or on the ball/play.

5. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    ups, you got in as I was posting :tup:

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Stop watching the ball and watch him on his blocks.

Watch the Rams game again and you'll see VJ making some awesome blocks, two of which sprung LT for long gainers.

We have so many weapons on offense, and VJ is the #3 WR and 5th receiving option right now.

It will be hard for VJ to get the ball thrown his way, unless it's designed to go to him, when Rivers' progression is Gates->Parker->McCardell->L.T.->VJ->Floyd.

7. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    We need WR's to get open. Maybe thats what the draft will give us next year.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Huh? :icon_huh: Seems to me there is not a problem in that area now.

Parker is second on the team in recv yards behind Gates. Avg 15.4/catch.
    McCardell is 11.4/catch.

Just so you are not dissapointed, WR is not on the first page of the chargers draft for 2007.

Beef, it's what's for drafting.

9. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Keenan is getting up there. VJ and Floyd are getting ready to compete for the number 2 spot soon.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    2TD's in 5 catches? hmmm mabye we should throw to him more often?

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Malcolm Floyd has more catches

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I think VJ's just in that no-man's land of always being the 4th or 5th option when he's an option at all. Other guys are getting open so he's not even seeing the ball.

13. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Didn't Jackson drop a ball or two:icon_huh: I know Phillip has thrown a few VJ's way that he didn't come up with.

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Rivers has missed him, as well.

15. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah. I mean, they've gone to him, but haven't connected all the time. They have put the ball in his direction. It's not like they're just ignoring him or whatever. Am I making sense.:icon_huh:

I could swear Jackson dropped one on him though.:unsure:

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What is wrong with you people?

We just won a big game, and then we have a buscha pizzin and moanin after.

No celebrating, just a bunch of angstafication.

I sont get it.

17. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432

If that's the case, who'll be the #1 WR ? :whistling:

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    If your refering in particular to the Ravens game, the replay showed Jackson was being deliberatly held by Samari Rolle. I saw it on NFL replay.

Rivers is fantastic, he just needs to hit that jump ball to Jackson a few more times. Id like to see him do it on a 40yd pass.

19. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Agreed! :tup:

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    :icon_eek:

21. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    that would leave Parker as the #1, some here think he's a #3 but Philip seems to like him and dude always comes up with a huge 3rd. down reception

hopefully VJ will become a #1 but this team is designed to run the ball and use Gates as the #1, the recievers come second

22. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432

I like the honest answer. :tup:

IMO, Parker is at best a #2, like Keenan. I keep hoping that VJ can be healthy enough to be a #1, but I don't think he can. The Chargers need to get a true #1 that can stretch the field. :yes:

23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    What makes you think VJ won't be a true #1?

It's not like a lot of the great receivers came into the league and dominated in their first couple seasons. And VJ's not in the same position as a lot of receivers who are drafted high. Most of those guys start off as #2 receivers because their teams really, really need receivers. When those young receivers inevitably struggle, their teams live with it because they don't have a ton of other options. The Chargers aren't in that situation. VJ's a #3 receiver because right now the Chargers aren't desperate enough at receiver to put him in there and live with his inexperience.

If VJ was on a bad team he could very well be MUCH better statistically than he is now.

I'd also like to point out that it's a serious crap-shoot trying to draft a "true #1" receiver. Even the ones that do pan out usually don't put up true #1 numbers until their third year, and a lot of them don't pan out at all.

Last but not least...a LOT of the best receivers in the NFL right now weren't even drafted all that high. I say this in a (probably futile) attempt to quell the tide of members who will beg the Chargers front-office to spend a #1 pick on a receiver next year.

• Like Like x 1
  24. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432

I'm just hoping that VJ can stay healthy enough to last a full season. I currently don't see a #1 that the Chargers can get in the draft. I'm not sure who's available as a FA.

I'm basing my #1 and VJ on his health alone. The whole draft is a "crap shoot".:icon_shrug:

Do you really think that VJ has the chance to be a #1? I don't.:fan:

25. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Very well put.:tup:

26. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I think I am nowhere near having an opinion on that. It's way too early. I do agree that he needs to stay healthy before he'll be able to be anything more than a #3. But I also think he has enormous physical upside, went to a college where the competition was not even close to what he's facing now, and is in an offense where he's usually the fifth option in passing plays.

In other words, I'll withhold judgement for now.

27. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    yo kids chill on jackson. if you question him, youre questionin the staff here too. dont you think that its still early in the season? but he still has a few td catches. i think its best to not bust out the offensive playbook until its really necessary..health wont be an issue.

28. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23

sorry, I just don't see him making 'awesome' blocks. On LT's big TD run, he did get in the way of a guy, but it's not like he's sacrificing his body to bowl people over.

In fact, I saw him just sort of trying to keep upright and his jersey clean.

29. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Run blocking force? I wouldn't mind that if he was a TE but he is a WR. I would think a run blocking force would be in the pit clearing holes. Who is he blocking to be the great force?:icon_huh:

Last I saw, he was listed as a WR, use him as such! Don't get me wrong here, I love our WR's that get do get the ball but VJ is a big boy and I can't help but think if we can get him the ball 15-20 yards down field, he has a better chance of breaking tackles then KM or EP, just as Gates does on occassion. Maybe Marty is saving him for later in the year when teams see that we don't use him much, then Marty will break out the VJ card!!!:lol: