1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

VJ's Last Day As A Charger!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 12, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    ANALYSIS: Jackson would miss Rivers but has options
    Written by
    Kevin Acee

Vincent Jackson is about to become an exception.

Elite wide receivers generally don’t hit the market in their prime.

Teams find them and keep them. Even enigmatic Terrell Owens spent eight years in San Francisco. Randy Moss didn’t drive himself out of Minnesota until he’d had six 1,000-yard seasons. And both those players were traded, not let go for nothing.

It took Jackson a while to develop, having come from tiny Northern Colorado with raw talent and much to learn. But since the 2007 postseason, there have been few receivers in the game more productive, more capable of the big game or more dependable.

Now he is bound for free agency, and it seems the Chargers might be both unwilling and unable to make a winning bid.

It is believed the Washington Redskins and Chicago Bears will be the most aggressive of Jackson’s suitors.

The Chargers’ seeming resignation that Jackson will go somewhere else could be due in part to their having long been aware of a team – thought to be the Redskins – that will do almost whatever it takes to get Jackson.

We won’t know for sure until Tuesday afternoon, when teams can officially talk to unrestricted free agents.

“It's all (meaningless) until it stops being (meaningless) and it’s for real,” one team personnel man said regarding the free agent market, meaning that no one really knows what a player will get until hard numbers are actually put to paper.

But that same person predicted the market for Jackson would likely get away from the Chargers.

It makes sense, too, that another person closely monitoring the situation said earlier this week: “He’s going to get more than you or I could ever imagine he would.”

(That person, by the way, was speaking to someone who has for some time valued Jackson as among the top five receivers in the league.)

If he’s right, the Chargers will be left looking to replace Jackson. That’s not an impossible task, just a terribly difficult one.

The Chargers are a better offense with Jackson. Philip Rivers is a better quarterback with Jackson.

Jackson’s height, physicality fighting for the ball, athleticism and hands have turned a lot of possible would-be incompletions into receptions and even prevented interceptions. Jackson’s presence changes the playbook and boosts Rivers’ confidence.

“Vincent and I have been here a long time,” Rivers said recently. “We have a great relationship … With the plays he’s made, there is no question he’s super valuable to us.”

But Rivers’ rare ability to make certain throws in certain ways makes Jackson a better receiver. And the Chargers’ offense is a comfortable place for Jackson, which is a big part of why he is willing to take less from the Chargers than another team.

But, according to people familiar with his thinking, he won’t take a whole lot less. (The Chargers could go as high as $11 million a year, but if the Redskins offer more than $12 million, which has been floated by knowledgeable people, Jackson will probably be shopping for real estate in Virginia.)

So, knowing there are least a half-dozen other teams interested in his services, let’s take a look at how he fits, or more appropriately, how those teams fit his needs.

Washington
    Now that the Redskins have traded up to the No.2 spot in the draft and assured their acquisition of Robert Griffin III, Jackson must ask himself if he wants to not only start over but start over with a rookie quarterback. And where are the rest of the weapons on the Washington offense?

Chicago
    Jay Cutler might be erratic (and a jerk), but he throws a pretty deep ball and can fit passes in places as well as (or, forgive me, better than) Rivers. Jackson makes that offense instantly better, as the Bears have running back Matt Forte.

Buffalo
    The Bills have plenty of money and have privately said they would still be interested in Jackson even after re-signing Stevie Johnson. Ryan Fitzpatrick is not as good a quarterback as the Bills thought when they gave him a new contract, but he would be better with Johnson, Jackson and running back Fred Jackson.

Tampa Bay
    Similar QB story as Buffalo but without the other bona fide weapons. Like the Bills, though, the Buccaneers have money to spend.

Denver
    If Peyton Manning is the Broncos' quarterback, this makes the most sense for the right price. It’s not too far from San Diego, which both Jackson and his wife love, and it’s home for Jackson, who is close with his parents.

San Francisco
    An elite tight end and enough other offensive talent to make Jackson feel at home. And one thing Alex Smith does really well is throw the deep ball.
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012...would-miss-rivers-has-options/?page=1#article

2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
  4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,407
    With only $14 million in cap space, I don't see how we can sign VJ, Hardwick & Gaither. And I was one of the most optimistic that he would get re-signed. :oops:

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    After we release McNeil it'll be about 25M in open space.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Not if we don't sign Gaither first. What's up with that situation?...... the clock is ticking.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,407
    Ahh...I forgot the money available under the cap, as reported yesterday, was based on Friday's numbers. It doesn't include cutting McNeil.

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,407
    It was reported that the Chargers were looking to sign Gaither & Hardwick first. That was last week. Guess we'll know in the next couple of days.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Why do other teams have their guys already signed, and the Chargers drag out the process? If they aren't signed when free agency opens, then we have a big problem.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Yes sir, I just love the fact that Spanos has kept the Front Office intact. Other teams are signing players, and we, well we keep reading about our players going to other teams. Until we get someone in place that is committed to winning, all we are going to get is the same ol song and dance.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Crap!!!........... we might actually agree on something. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think Spanos screwed the pooch this offseason. There were only 2 options with regards to Smith and Norv. Fire them both or give one/both of them extensions. By putting them in limbo, he probably hurt our ability to sign FAs this offseason, just like firing Marty so late in 2007 killed our ability to get an adequate HC replacement.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  14. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Are you seriously suggesting that Spanos should have considered option B. I can just imagine the reaction if he would have extended their contracts.... complete meltdown.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Yeah but we couldn't run the ball for **** at that time, and Sproles ended up leading the team in receptions.

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,407
    Beats the hell out of me. You'll have to ask AJ about that. ;)

But I'm not about to don a tinfoil hat either by saying Spanos is doing that on purpose so he can move the team to LA. :roflmao:

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Doesn't change the fact that we were able to pass the ball without him then, and will be able to pass the ball without him next year

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    And what about when Gates leaves? Floyd's contract is up again after this year too. I'm not just worried for 2012, I'm concerned about beyond that. And when Norv Turner does get fired if Philip Rivers will want to stick around on a team that is in complete rebuild mode with no good targets around him.

See this is the problem nobody appreciates their #1 reciever when it comes time to pay him. Yet HOW MANY teams are after VJ right now?

For no more than 11M a year I'd pay him, and then when Jammer, Phillips, English, LaBoy, Spikes, Floyd etc... come off the cap next year we'll be right where we are now...25M under the cap before FA.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He will be replaced, and hopefully with a guy who can catch the ball more than 3 times a game on a regular basis. There are still plenty of quality WR's available, most of which will cost half of what VJ wants or less. I say go with the WR by committee approach. Get Brandon Lloyd and Pierre Garcon (or any similar combo) and we will likely get better production for around the same price as what VJ is demanding (and doesn't deserve)

20. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    What about Gates foot and Floyd's hamstring this year?

21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The Chargers should have done option A. There may have been a complete meltdown among fans had they chosen option B, but we would have had an easier time attracting quality Assistants and FAs. Smitty is trying to tell FAs to come play for us on the cheap and win, however FAs are looking at this team and thinking that we're 1 bad season away from being in complete rebuilding mode.

I wouldn't have liked option B, but I think Spanos's non-decision was even worse for the team.

22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    What team is it that you're thinking uses a WR by committee approach successfully? Surely not the Packers, who have paid Greg Jennings, and had Driver on the roster, who they had paid in the past, not to mention their TE, who they just paid. The Pats don't use a WR by committee, they have 2 receivers, one of whom they are about to pay, and 2 TEs playing on rookie contracts, one or both of whom will be getting paid in the next 2 seasons. The Superbowl Champion (vomits) Giants have 2 top 15 WRs, one of whom is about to be paid this offseason.

Please tell me which team is successfully using WRBC.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We are also one decent offseason, which is very possible, away from being a legit playoff team again (Not one that sneaks in). IMO, the decision about Norv and AJ doesn't effect FA's one bit, unless they simply don't want to or don't trust in a Norv run team, which an extension would have just hurt them even more

24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    When a GM and HC are both fired, you usually see a lot of wholesale changes on the roster. I imagine that that is impacting FAs. On top of that, quality FAs aren't going to sign with us, "on the cheap" to get a ring, if it's possible that we might be rebuilding next season.

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,407
    Gates missed three games last year, but still scored 7 TD's and lead the team in receptions. I'd say his foot problem is in the rear-view.

As for Floyd's hamstring, hard to speculate on that. Don't recall it being a recurring injury.

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Gates may or may not have rebounded from his injury. Either way, he's going on year 10 in the league. Floyd is almost as old. These are guys looking at being done in a few seasons, and that makes new injuries increasingly likely. I'm not worried about a hamstring injury in particular for Floyd, but it seems like something is always getting injured on him for whatever reason (conditioning, frame, propensity toward light injuries?). These players may or may not be available to us for the entirety of this season, but they won't be available to us 3-4 seasons from now. The Chargers need to look at getting younger at these positions, and fast.

Letting a slightly younger Jackson depart, and having these two guys be the entirety of our talent as far as pass catchers go is a bad idea.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    On the cheap will cause problems no matter what the situation is with the coach and GM. But their status may effect a few, but not all free agents and it will not effect our ability to get quality players.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agree, which is why they WILL add 2-3 additional WR's either through the draft or FA. To think these will be the only 2 guys that are even above average is totally ridiculous

29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Please tell me which 2-3 previously above average WRs we will be able to acquire for less than 11 million/season.

30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    It will take any WR we draft at least 2-3 years to get up to speed. Don't even mention bringing in another injured WR like Colston. Considering AJ and Norv are screwed if this season doesn't pan out, you think they would have franchised VJ.