1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

VJ's Smack Talk

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Nov 27, 2006.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,508
    After the officials awarded the ball to the Bolts on VJ's illegal forward pass, VJ was heard shouting to the Raiders "God is good." :lol:

He also apologized to his teammates for his stupid mistake.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    the latter was more important

3. SD2SB2SD

SD2SB2SD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    The team, coaches and/or players, needs to punish him in some way. Not only did we almost lose the ball, but if he hadn't been so busy celebrating his 13-yard catch, he probably could have run for a touchdown.

4. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Usually, I'm okay with ripping a player for having a mental lapse during a game, but I somehow don't feel like I would blame VJ too much for this mistake. I'm sure he and the rest of the team will play till the whistle from now on.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    They need to watch tapes of Charlie Joiner. Even when he was down, he scooted the ball up a few inches or feet to get that extra yard.

6. SD2SB2SD

SD2SB2SD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I really can't stand how players now seem to celebrate even the most routine plays. Unless you score a TD or make a spectacular play, you shouldn't be spinning or spiking or doing anything with the ball aside from leaving it on the ground or giving it to the official (after the whistle of course). That's one of the reasons why I think LT is not only the best, but also the classiest player in the league.

7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    In my opinion.

It is the all about me thing. Kind of like TO and others like him to include Chad Johnson.

The take a look at me, I made a first down, ,look at me.
    Look at me I caught the ball, look at me.
    I just ran for three yards, look at me.

It is the all about the me generation. The simplest of things are to them the most exciting things to do and they want everyone to see there ordinary feats of nothing.

So to those people it is an accomplishment to make a 1 yard run and say see what I did, didn't I do good didn't I.

We need a lot more LT's out there playing football instead of the TO's out there.

• Like Like x 2
  8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Jackson is not a me-first player. Look at his celebration after catching the game winner in Denver last week. He didn't do some dance or heap praise upon himself. He celebrated with his teammates.

Jackson's play was not routine. It was a big 4th down catch. Rivers fired a laser and Jackson made a very nice diving stab at it for the completion. Mistakenly, Jackson thought he was down and so he jumped up excitedly and spun the ball to the ground, hardly a ridiculously self-congratulatory celebration.

Too much is made out of the emotion and enthusiasm players exhibit in today's game. I agree that some guys go overboard, but showing some emotion is not always a bad or a selfish thing.

The important thing is that we won in spite of Jackson's mistake, and he won't do that again.

• Like Like x 1
  9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree with you on VJ not being a me fist player. I just think in this past game against Oakland he should have done the same thing he did in the Denver game and celebrated with his temmates, especially PR who threw that Laser of a strike.

I personally do not like all the individual persons emotions and enthusiasm out there on the field. I think that each team should have a celebration thing that the team as a team does when something great happens. I.E. a crucial 4th down play that is successful to make a 1st down. The team then should be given a very limited period of time to celebrate that great play, not the individual person who made the great play. That is where I have as the problem is the individul celebration instead of the team celebrating the big play. I would want the single person who made the great play to celebrate with teammates then the individual persons celebration. I know I might be wrong but I am allowed to be wrong and that is my opinion.

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The REFS never enforced the LOSS of DOWN associated with this penalty. We got away with one. :yes:

11. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Is that what happened? I could not figure out (prior to the next snap) how we could keep the ball. We were all asking each other what was going on.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It was enforced but the yardage gained was the key. It is from the spot of the foul infraction.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I could not resist ... :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2006/11/26/getting-past-the-officials/

Nov

Getting past the officials

Posted by Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer on November 26th, 2006

It’s long forgotten now, because of what transpired afterward Sunday in the Raiders’ 21-14 loss to the San Diego Chargers.

On third-and-3, San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers delivered a an incomplete pass toward tight end Antonio Gates. It was incomplete because of what appeared to be aggressive but perfectly legal defense by Raiders defensive back Stanford Routt.

Not so fast. A flag came out, and Routt was called for pass interference. The Chargers were in business with a first-and-10 at the 50.

Then a funny thing happened.

Rivers threw incomplete to Malcolm Floyd, with Fabian Washington covering. He threw incomplete to LaDainian Tomlinson. He threw incomplete to Floyd again, with Stuart Schweigert defending.

The Chargers punted the ball to the Raiders, who still had a 14-7 lead with 4:07 left in the third quarter.

Without minimizing the degree to which the Raiders got the bad end of the deal on the ridiculous “illegal forward pass'’ by Vincent Jackson a short time later, the earlier sequence points out how winning teams deal with bad calls.

They move on, then make a play. Then another one. Then another one.

The Routt play and the aftermath proved it’s possible. Every piece of questionable officiating does not have to morph into the the latest horror sequel _ “The Tuck Rule meets The Immaculate Reception.'’

And the supposed illegal forward pass went beyond questionable. The problem of course, is Jackson’s flip forward was not a pass. There has been no pass like it in the history of the National Football League. He relinqiushed possesion of the ball making no attempt to get it to another offensive player before being ruled down by contact.

It’s a fumble to anyone with a functioning brain.

Mike Carey, of course, defended it. Director of officials Mike Pereira will likely do the same thing. Look for the league to usher in some sort of nonsensical after-the-fact addendum which will take into account moronic receivers who voluntarily lose possession in the field of play, when simple common sense would suffice.

The NFL Network covered itself in house organ shame in its evening wrapup, with Steve Mariucci saying it was the correct call, and that if the ball had been thrown backward, it would have been a lateral and Oakland could have recovered.

Hello?

Is there any walking, thinking, upright human being that thinks what Jackson did was either a forward pass or a lateral? That he was trying to get the ball to someone else?

The Jackson call was like the Marquez Pope fumble recovery at Husky Stadium in 2000. The one where Charles Woodson stripped Ricky Watters, the ball flew toward the goal line and Pope jumped on it at the 2, hydroplaning into the end zone.

Instead of the Raiders getting the ball at the 2 or the 20, it was ruled a Seattle safety. The Seahawks took the points, cutting the score to 24-21, then received the kickoff and drove for the winning touchdown.

Because of that ruling, that play no longer exists. But like the Jackson play, there was no need to change the rule, only for an official to exercise proper judgement.

Other than the Immaculate Reception, the Franco Harris play that took place on the last play of the game, all these plays which contribute so mightily to all those who hold conspiracy near to their heart have something in common.

The Raiders weren’t contractually obligated to let the Seahawks drive the length of the field after the Pope recovery in Seattle.

It wasn’t written in stone that Tom Brady be allowed to slice and dice the Oakland defense after the Tuck Rule.

There was plenty of time after Rob Lytle’s non-fumble in the 1977 AFC Championship Game.

Chris Carr was called for not returning to the field soon enough against Denver a couple of weeks back, a call which eventually cost coach Art Shell $12,500 for criticizing the officials.

Know what Carr said the next day?

That focusing on that one call was a waste of time considering how many other plays there were in the game to be made. That could have been made. That weren’t made.

The guy is in his second year and has a better perspective than 99 percent of his team and their fans.

The Raiders bit on Tomlinson’s 19-yard touchdown pass, even though it’s a play they’ve seen before. They let Tomlinson escape for 44-yard gain after having him bottled up all day.

Their offense had its worst possession of the game after San Diego’s touchdown. Facing third-and-18 in a hurry up situation, they got a delay of game. At third-and-18 they probably weren’t going anywhere, anyway, but not getting a playoff off quick enough with no timeouts and the two-minute warning approaching speaks volumes about how they responded to some late-game adversity.

It’s a shame, really. The Raiders played all three AFC West opponents extremely tough and lost all three. They’ve made up ground in terms of being competitive if not in the standings.

The real breakthrough will come when they find themselves on the wrong end of a blown call and win anyway.

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,508
    What are you talking about? The only thing loss of down means is that the down is not replayed. It went from 4th to 1st down because we had enough yards to make it.

All loss of down means is that the down is not repeated. :icon_shrug:

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    There's no loss of down for an illegal forward pass infraction, jes a 5 yard panalty from the the spot where the illegal forward pass was thrown. If the penalty yardage would have been sufficient to keep the Chargers from first down yardage, the Raiders would've had a first down from the end of the penalty, because the play began as 4th down and 2 yards to go for a 1st down for the Chargers.

16. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fully agree with this statement. Chargers should strive to be the classiest team in the league with as little bull**** as possible on the field. Let the points do the talking. I don't even like the excessive sack celebrations but that Merriman thing cracks me up so he is good to go. The Harris flip will one day result in an unfortunate injury I am sure. Lets see him do it in the snow in Buffalo.

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,827
    What the hell Tony. Your quoting Raiderblogs like its something? Dude what the hell?!

18. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    What I like is that VJ is showing some emotion. That to me is an indicator that he very may well start to become more of force in the play calling. We need him and MF to step it up. If they do, then I would guess that that would mean Marty & Co. have more faith in them.:tup:

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,508
    I can show you several plays where LT has made a big run, bounced up and spun the ball to the turf just like Jackson did.

I for one don't like a bunch of insincere, coreographed celebrations. For a player to show some emotion is not always a bad thing.

20. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I'm all for players being more like LT but that play WASN'T a routine play. I believe it was 4th down right? The bolts were losing and time was running out, against a divisional Rival. I think VJ has all the right in the world to be a little pumped up. He made a mistake and thankfully the team didn't have to pay for it.

I like the LT's of the NFL just as much as I like the Chad Johnsons. Having fun is part of the game. I mean didn't we all have fun playing ball when we played?

21. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    damn I didn't get to your post before I replied but yeah what you said. hahaha

22. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    damn I didn't get to your post before I replied but yeah what you said. hahaha

23. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    damn I didn't get to your post before I replied but yeah what you said. hahaha I don't see anything wrong with showing emotion. If we're going to get upset at VJ for showing emotion we should also rip Rivers for getting all pumped up after that run against the steelers that helped us win the game. Right?

24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    No thaty's some real post padding :icon_mrgreen: :lol: :yes:

25. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I have no idea how that happened. I'd delete them if I could. I could care less how many post I have. If I did I'd have a heck of a lot more since I'm one of the first bolt talk members