1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

VOICE ACTIVATION SOFTWARE

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carrie1219, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Calling all computer geeks. I need you again. :icon_mrgreen:

My brother is having a birthday on Friday and I'd like to get him some type of voice activation software so he can talk/type. He's handicapped and no longer has the use of his hands. Using the computer has been a big part of his life and I'd like to see that he still has that option Any help you can give me in finding a good product would be appreciated.

I've heard the name "Dragonfly" tossed around with regard to voice activated software. Don't know anything about it though.

Also do you guys know anything about the compatability of this software with wireless keyboards and mouses.... as I'm also looking to purchase these items for him as well.

2. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Carrie, good luck with this. I wonder if the occupational therapists at your hospital may know about this (they may have seen some of the specialized equipment)....maybe you should also post it at the UT in the off-topic section and GN. There seem to be a few computer savvy guys over there too...and between here and there you might get an answer. Good luck to your brother and he is fortunate to have such a caring sister...

3. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Thanks.

Will go into Circuit City and Best Buy today for some recommendations. Looks like I'll prolly be going with the Dragonfly product as it's the only one I've heard of.

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I've never used any of these programs myself. But by all accounts Dragonfly is the top of the line for consumer voice recognition. Here are a couple reviews of voice programs.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software/voice-recognition-software/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/30/scitech/pcanswer/main2053778.shtml

I would say Dragonfly is the way to go. :yes:

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
  6. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Thanks soooo much IAD and CBF... I'll be going with "Dragon" Don't know why I thought it was Dragonfly...:lol:

Very helpful links. I know... very pricey. :eek:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Don't. Those guys don't know **** and will try to sell you any piece of crap program they can think of.

I would get ahold of a few physical therapy centers and ask them if they have any clue before I'd ask some pimple faced 17 year old working at Best Buy.