1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Volek resigns with Bolts 3 years X $9M

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Stan_The_Man_12, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    with $3M signing bonus - source PFT.

Stan :rivers17:

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    AWESOME NEWS!!!

I was hoping this would happen after listening to him on Sirius yesterday. Anyone wondering whether or not it was worth it need only watch the Indy Game replay.

3. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Why the hell did they pay him so much? It Whitehurst that ******? Even if Rivers doesn't make it back until week 8, the AFC West sucks outside of San Diego. We'd be fine.

4. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    It's insurance at the most important position with a vet that knows the system. The team is going to do whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl NOW. If Rivers goes down again, at least with Volek we still have a chance at the Lombardi.

And yes, it obviously is an indictment on the progression of young Charlie.

I don't know why anyone would be upset by this. Just take a few moments to realize how settled we are at QB. Flashback to the late 90's and count your blessings if you must.

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Oh Hell yeah. The only thing I will add is that Volek can be an excellent teacher for Charlie as well. So he can groom him to be the actual backup or even the starter if Rivers goes down for an extended period of time with a bad injury.

We have right now stability . Which is key for us right now to help us get the Lombardi once and for all.

I just love this signing. AJ you are truly a Gawd of GM's. You got it done. Thank you AJ.

6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    might as well trade Whitehurst now

What good does it do to keep him around??

He wont get any PT on this team for the next 3 years and thus wont gain any experience that would increase his trade value.

Seems like a waste of a #3 draft pick now

7. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I don't know, bro. Only $3M is guaranteed. He could easily be cut after the '08 season with minimal cap implications. I think all that it says is that Charlie isn't ready to be a #2. YET. Besides, I would imagine that trading him would fetch just about nothing in return at this point.

8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    This is great news for all Chargers fans.....Billy really proved his worth to us at Indy in the playoffs after Philip hurt his knee, the same one he continues to rehabilitate to this day. How many other teams could lose their starting QB, on the road in the postseason while playing against the defending Superbowl Champions, and still win the game?

We enter next season with depth, security & stability at the most important position on any team and that is great for us fans, for Volek & for the Bolts! :bolt:

9. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Who's to say that Whitehurst won't compete for #2? Anyone saying that Whitehurst was a waste of a draft pick, needs to reevaluate his assessment. We're lucky that he hasn't seen the field. It means that our franchise QB has taken most of our snaps, minus the time Volek has been in there. Essentially, AJ spent a 3rd round draft pick on an insurance policy he never hopes he sees... at arguably the most important position in the league.

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    With Whitehurst starting?

Dont agree with that.

11. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    another great 400z post, volek is a great back up and he proved that last year and he was the #1 FA QB so we are lucky to still have him, i wouldnt call that giving him so much either

12. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    He is a GREAT backup QB...Whitehurst has potential, but Volek has played the game at it's highest level...

BTW...The AFC west is always a great division...Just because we have dominated, it doesn't mean the division sucks...

We need depth...GOOD Depth at every position...VOLEK GIVES US GOOD DEPTH...

Anyone can have depth...GOOD DEPTH is hard to find and often necessary.

TBF

13. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Thanks, Mr. Miagi. :lol:

14. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I agree that we need quality depth at the position, but shouldn't spending a 3rd round draft pick there ensure that? We know A.J.'s acumen when it comes to talent evaluation. It's hard to believe that Whitehurst is anything less than a quality 2nd stringer, but paying Volek 9 million dollars seems to indicate otherwise.

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    You're absolutely right.

There's no need for a 3rd string QB on the roster, especially not when your starter's coming off a big injury.

Good thinking, RIP :)

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    EXACTLY!!!
    Some might think that 3 years X $9M is a bit much for a back up. Usually, I would agree but not in this case!!! :bolt:

17. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Ehh, we could have started 0-8 last season and still won the division. The AFCW was badass back in 05 and 06, but the level of competition has fallen off quite a bit. Our closest divisional competitor scored six points in two games against us!

I'm glad to have Volek back, but it just sucks that we're paying him that much. He better win us something next year!

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If the NFL has taught you nothing else over the past decade or so it should have at least taught you that a whole lot can change over the course of one year.

19. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Cleo Lemon got the same amount.

CLEO LEMON!

I think we did ok considering. The Packers and Browns backups make much, much more.

20. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Everybody's favorite preseason all-star screwed us over. :lol:

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is a relatively cheap way to assure ourselves of depth at a critical position. The question here is not why the Chargers would sign Volek, but why Volek would sign with us. What does that tell you about the nature of the organization? What would make a guy decide to hang with us, instead of taking more money for a chance at starting for any number of teams that would bid for his services? People WANT to play for the Chargers. It's kind of like the Russian Front in 1942. If the worst happens, retreat in depth. AJ is implacable. AJ brings a gun to a knife fight.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Quite right, RC. Look at the way that much of our competition is throwing around money. Volek is a bargain when looked at in those terms, plus the insurance that he brings should PR's rehab not go as well as planned.

Whitehurst will get his chance. Well, let me re-phrase. I hope he doesn't need to get his chance, but having Volek gives Whitey a little more time to learn Norv's offense. As already stated here, there's nothing to guarantee that Whitehurst won't play his way into #2, nor that Volek will be here for his entire contract.

I'm good with this move. Now if we could just keep MT, but it looks like he may well be off to Atlanta. That probably means that they go QB in the first. Matt Ryan?

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Excellent signing !!!

Whitehurst will get his reps and if anything, maybe we can dangle his *** as trade bait in a year or three.

Whitey in the pre-season will be fun to watch and assess.

Line up up 3 deep and let them compete. :bolt:

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I hope ur a prophet Buck!. I really wanna see Charlie get a chance. I'm not optimistic about getting much for him down the line if nobody sees what he could be capable of. If he makes it to number 2 QB then I could see us getting something decent for Volek.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Charlie getting a chance means at least Rivers is hurt. Volek as well if Charlie doesn't win the 2nd string spot.

I don't want to see Charlie get a chance.

But I hope he's capable enough to get the job done should he get his chance.

26. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I want to see Charlie get the majority of the snaps with the top guys through all of mini-camp, and most of training camp.

Like with LT, neither Philip nor Billy really need the practice, and I want Rivers as close to 100% healthy as possible to start next season....if not, then Volek will lead us out of the gate but Whitehurst needs the reps, and he won't get them during the regular season (we hope!)

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If that's what he meant by "getting his chance" then I want to see that as well :)

I jumped to the conclusion that "getting his chance" meant actual regular season gametime.

28. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Totally RC. Volek is a guy that wants to, and could be a starter for another team in this league. Unless I'm terribly mistaken the only reason we have him right now is because Jeff Fisher promised him a shot at starting, brought in Kerry Collins and told Billy to pick up a clip board. So you know Volek wants to be the guy. But he chose to stay in San Diego anyways. What a wonderful testament to the quality of the organization.

29. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Good to have my boy back for the next 3 yrs. :tup: