1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vote: Can Fans Boo on Monday Night if...?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Oct 6, 2009.

?

Can fans boo on Monday Night if we are loosing in the second half?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I know there are a lot of differing opinions about fans booing their team. Some feel it is acceptable and other feel we shouldn't put down our guys.

I for one think it is acceptable to voice your displeasure when the situation is bad enough.

So my question is this: If the Chargers are losing at any point in the second half of the Monday Night home game against the Broncos, is it OK to boo?

I know there are a lot of circumstances and variables which may contribute to your answer, but I want to keep it a basic yes/no question.

Just looking for opinions, no right or wrong answer, give your vote and your reasoning if you like.

2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    if they announce the starting defense at the start of the game, start booing then, when they announce Norv's name, boo then. Why wait. If they run LT up the middle for no gain, why should you cheer that play, it hasn’t worked in the last 3,887,927,567 attempts.

This team is supposed to go to the Super Bowl anything less is unacceptable.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    A pro football team is not a kindergarten class. They don't need juvenile encouragement or an "A for effort." They are pro athletes and if they embarrass the people that pay their salaries they deserve to get booed. :yes:

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Lame...

A fan can boo whenever and where ever they want. What is the point of this poll?

5. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350

6. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Boy, I guess your mood is correct, you are volatile.

I have seen on this and other forums people complain that we shouldn't boo. Or that a particular instance of booing is unwarranted. I wanted to get a temperature from the forum on if this particular instance would warrant booing.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    You do make a fair point. Some people will boo just because we rush on first down, or because we kneel at the end of the half with a one score lead... that ****, IMO, is retarded.

I think that's where most of the anti-booing sentiment comes from. And even in that case the fan still has a right to boo... but I also have the right to call them an idiot and indict their lack of football awareness.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ask someone if you can boo, they will give you theor opinion. Do you feel the need to boo? If so then do and and if anyone tells you not to, tell them to go pound sand.

9. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Agree 100%. Well said. I wasn't asking if I can boo but was interested in the opinion of the board.

Personally, I won't boo the defense or Norv when they appear on Monday but I'd say my breaking point would be 14 points down in the first half or losing at any point in the second half.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I have been attending Charger games before every single player on this team was even born. And for as long as they continue to call themselves the San Diego Chargers, I will cheer them on when today’s players have grand kids.

I am sick and tired of rooting for teams that go nowhere, are ill prepared, have no motivation, have no drive, and all the players do is show up on payday with their hands out. I do not care who is to blame, I only have so many years left on this planet, and I want to cheer on a World Champion before I move on. In 2007 we had EIGHT Charger Players selected to the Pro Bowl. What happened to those Pro Bowl players today? You would figure with that many “PRO BOWL” players we could win something besides the AFC West!

If you think that the level of play of the Chargers is to your satisfaction, then sit back and enjoy. I am tired and I am not going to take it anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I've been booing since Sunday night & don't plan to stop until we win against the Mile High Mules. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    CAN you boo? Sure, it's your perogative. I mean, unless you're mute or something...

My opinion is that boo'ing your own team is lame and tacky. If you really care about what I think, then don't boo :lol: :icon_shrug:

13. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I realized after hitting 'submit' that I should have said 'Should we boo' but oh well.

I can appreciate your viewpoint (and others support it as evidence by the big comeback 'NO' has had in the poll) but I do have a question. If you are upset about the team's performance, what avenues do you have to voice your displeasure? I have to admit snail mail, emails, phone calls and other options seem to fall on deaf ears. Ticket holders booing goes straight to the ownership and hopefully they feel embarrassed by it.

To each their own, but curious if you feel a need for and have found a solution to expressing displeasure.

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    The well placed boo is not only a right of a fan but an obligation.

The Boo should be reserved for those times when clearly their heads are up their azzes and should be used sparingly for the appropriate effect. A good team builds up non-boo credits over time and should be given slack proportional to their prior success levels.

A team like the Bolts where everyone is sensing the window may closing without an opportunity for title glory is particularly prone to losing their credits quickly and feeling the home town heat.

Had that been a home game Sunday and they played that way I would be thoroughly disappointed if the boo birds would not have come out.

15. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I agree!

It has been said that NFL is the modern day gladiator arena.... and we all know what happened back in the Roman days when the crowd was displeased with performance of their gladiators.

Booing is appropriate and has been done for thousands of years to show displeasure with performance and in the Chargers case bad performance has become a theme.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Perhaps a unified thumbs down might be more appropriate. :yes:

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The only time it is not acceptable to make noise is when our offense is on the field otherwise, yell whatever the hell you want....so "YES" .... Boo if you feel like it. :tup:

The Spanos's are lucky we are not flinging feces and cheap beers into their luxury boxes let alone boo'ing. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  18. NatroneMeansBusiness

NatroneMeansBusiness BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Umm if you take your girl to a movie and shell out 40 bucks to go and the movie sucks wouldn't you be pissed an tell all of your friends not to go to it?

Now correct me if I am wrong but what does the cheapest seat in the Q run $80 bucks or so? So by just going just by yourself you are spending nearly 100 bucks on just a seat throw in another $25 bucks for parking and another $8.25 for a domestic draft beer....sh!t I feel like booing already and the game hasn't even started.

19. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I don't see why not.

The Steeler fans were booing after the Bolts scored those two quick TDs to get within 14 points, in the second half.

That's fans booing their winning team.

20. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    You're welcome to boo or not boo - whatever floats your boat - but for me this team and these players and the many who came before them have done far more good in my life than bad. So boo'ing feels inappropriate and for me when you disrespect someone or something I care about it ticks me off. I think it's lame and tacky, so I don't do it and I think it makes us look stupid as a fan base b/c we do it so often and so flippantly.

If it makes you feel better to boo - go right ahead - if it makes you feel better to rip apart the team and players you supposedly love (no ****) - rip away my friend - just don't expect me to think highly of you for it and think you're all cool and macho and totally showing them who means business :p

I get it, being upset when your team fails to meet your expectations, when we seem to be stuck in a neverending cycle of "almost but not quite" football. I cannot defend the play we saw on Sunday night and I won't try to btu I also won't give up on my team. There have been some real positive things we've seen along with the negative and if I could cheer thru 1-15 I can damn well cheer thru this.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If we don't score in the first half, they should expect boos at half time.
    If my memory serves me right, I think we've only scored 9 points in the first half. SICKENING!!!

22. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    You must have sleeping through some portions of the games. Total of 29 points in the first half.

10 Oakland, 16 Balt, 3 Miami, 0 Pitt.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    My mistake. Still pretty bad, especially considering we have the so-called "Offensive Guru."

24. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Since the only true value to this whole sports thing is personal entertainment, I say if the team you are rooting for is loosing and you need to boo to entertain yourself, so be it. Get your dollars worth.

25. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Personally I'll give them another shot, if the defense looks lackluster again though, then I think it's appropriate to boo them, if that pisses them off, good maybe then they'll decide to play better.

But to start the game I'd cheer them, hopefully the backing of the fans will get them on a roll. Doesn't hurt either way.

Like already mentioned though you pay good money for those seats, then you have every right to boo. **** people will boo Norv in a blowout if he doesn't go for it on 4th and short, or when he decides to start running the ball when we have a good lead (Miami game).

26. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    If they stink the place up like they did in Pits, then they deserve the boos.

Someone needs to find out where the O and D lines left there balls.

27. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I've been a fan since 1981(not as long as you). I also get tired of accepting mediocrity and I don't expect this team to always win. We seemed so close these last few years, and our hopes seemed to have faded away, our window has closed.

28. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I’m not big into booing, but I will let the coaching staff know when I believe they screwed up. When a player makes a bad play, I’m not going to boo; I never believe someone wants to fail…I give them the benefit of the doubt that they are trying hard.

I feel less sympathetic with the coaches and referees. I will rip the SH!* out of those folks! Yes…I understand that this is a double standard…tough…it is how I feel! No logic required!

Example…a CB that gets burned multiple times during a game…no booing from me…crying yes, booing no.

A coach, that runs the freaking ball up the middle for one yard gain with the game on the line and a total of 30 yard rushing by the forth quarter…I will boo…or use other appropriate words.

A ref that makes ANY mistakes against my Bolts…I will boo!