1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Wanted: Hanest Assesment: Chargers v. Bears

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Concudan, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    O.k. guys, I saw about a quarter and a half of the last preseason game in the Dallas Airport. These are my thoughts, but i would like yours:

PR: Against a darn good D he was able to move the ball, and did not crack under pressure. A good outing even though we dont have the W.

Cam: Play calling sucked. On one play we needed like 20 yards, and we threw it for like 2. The guy gets conservative and it kills us.

The D: Man they looked pretty good, even with my boi getting too many flags...

But that is a rushed view from an airport, can you guys give me your thoughts please?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    I think Rivers was tested in a wide open offense against a not so good opponent and this time he was tested in a specifically conservative offense to see what would happen. Rivers did ok to poor, made decent throws but again I wasn't impressed. I think this was part of the plan but its hard to say. The run and pass blocking is really getting me worried as all of them are being pushed around and are not opening up any holes

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I woke up today not in a happy mood. And realized it was cause of the game. I know its pre season and the chargers have to expierment with stuff and players but not putting up many points did bother me.

Rivers did move the offense. And against a very good defense. Not many better I'd have to think. But like others have mentioned this game and last game showed that our o-line needs to be stronger. Hopefully they'll mesh and get solid.

If some coach would just teach mcneil that he's to pick out the closest defender and squash him and then move onto the next guy. But he's just brushing against defenders when he run blocks. He's got to square up on guys and blast them then move onto the next guy. On the other hand his pass blocking really looks good. I saw him push one rusher clear away from the pocket. And totally lock up on other d-ends. They didn't have a chance.

It looked like the right side was having more troubles than the left side of the o-line. Anyone see that.

I agree with some about cam's got to be smarter with his play calling. When he's on he's on. But when he's not we get squished.

The last problem on the team besides the obvious special teams problems is the d-backfield. They've got to get better organized back there. This is more a coaching thing. They've got to get everyone on the same page.

It appears that cletius gordon can do the job of returns. Thats good news.

And one last thingy. I wouldn't trade turner. Unless some team gave us a 1st rounder for him. He's that good. I just hope CAm utilizes him more this year for a change up of running styles with ladanian. That ought to throw defensive teams off some.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654

Good post and agreed for the most part. :yes: :tup:

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    He is part Jewish. :lol:

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    :icon_shrug: :icon_shrug:

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It was on a pass interference......and he dropped the ball.

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851

:lol:

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_mrgreen: :icon_rofl: :icon_banana:

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The chargers left most of their playbook in the locker room. McCardell just said hello and was gone. Blocking schemes and technique need work, garden variety discipline might help eliminate the really stupid penalties(I'd make the really dumb perpetrators run wind sprints based on the penalty yards) and both Cromartie and Whitehurst need reps. Rivers did a nice job early on avoiding rushers and making an off balance throw down the sideline to Floyd. My only worry about Rivers is that the O-line hasn't jelled. The league is going to have a problem scoring on this defense. It also appears that the Bears came with most of their defensive schemes in use and the Chargers weren't ready for the onslaught. I think they were expecting something a bit more basic.:icon_shrug:

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We just got our collective asses handed to us by a better team that night.

Everyone (or most) knows that the Bears have a good team and we showed our weaknesses in the line play. This should be no surprise to the hardcore fans. We need more help.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +629
    WOW!! 1 pass. OMG Hall of Fame here we come!!!

[​IMG]

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    After midnight tonight, we forget about the Bears and concentrate on the Seahawks. :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Just sit on a 2 x 4 full of 6" long rusty nails. The butthurt won't be as deep.

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    FU...Marty ball 101..........forget the last play and focus on the next. You have 24 hours to dwell on your fuc-ups and then it is time to look ahead....otherwise you are fuc't.

16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You will be gobbling Marty's goo just the way you gobbled Rivers goo package recently.

Watch and practice "opening" your throat. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_banana:

17. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    :icon_rofl:

18. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Stop telling us about your erotic fantasies! :no:

19. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, I'm outta here for 2 hours.

"Two For The Money" just started on HBO.

Leisure, you'd love that movie. It's all about sports betting, and a true story.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    So, Rivers? Cro? OL? DL?