1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Was 2006 a fluke?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This evening I went to bed and couldn’t get to sleep. I decided to check my DVR and see what I haven’t watched before. I noticed that the folder for my Charger wish list had a new arrival. Eagerly clicking into the folder, I found that my system had recorded for me the ESPN produced Chargers 2006 Yearbook.

I watched the one hour long recording and was amazed at the treat we San Diego fans had last season. So many things went well for our Bolts. But that nagging voice in the back of my head said ‘What if that is as good as it gets?

Well I thought about it. We did have a lot of things go our way last season. Two come from behind wins in spectacular fashion; first in Cincinnati where the Chargers fell behind the Bengals, 21-0 and were able to win by scoring 42 points in the second half of a 49-to-41 comeback win. Rivers also threw for 337 yards and three touchdowns, including a game-clinching five-yard scoring pass to Brandon Manumaleuna with two-29 left. A spectacular win that should be remembered by Chargers and Bengals fans alike for decades to come; but the following week also saw the Chargers rally at Denver, scoring four touchdowns in the final two quarters to bounce back from a 17-point third-quarter deficit and claim their first win at Denver since the 1999 season. A new NFL record for the team, the first time in NFL history a team had recovered from 17 points down at the half to win, in two consecutive games.

The ultra star of the Chargers, running back extraordinaire LaDainian Tomlinson ran away with 13 individual records, including:
     the all-time NFL record for single season touchdowns (31),
     the all-time NFL record for single season rushing touchdowns (28),
     the all-time NFL record for the most points scored in a single season (186),
     the all-time NFL record for most consecutive games with a rushing touchdown (18),
     the NFL record for most consecutive multi-touchdown games (8),
     the all-time San Diego Chargers record for most career rushing yards (9,176),
     the all-time San Diego Chargers record for most career touchdowns (111),
     the all-time NFL record for fewest games needed to achieve 100 touchdowns, with his 100th career touchdown (90 rushing, 10 receiving) in his 89th game,
     the record for most touchdowns scored in a five game span with 16 TDs (14 rushing, 2 receiving), breaking his own record of 15 that he had set two weeks earlier. Prior to that, the record was held by Jim Brown with 14.
     Became the first and only player in NFL history to rush for 1000 yards and receive 100 passes in a single season.
     In 2006 Tomlinson became the second player in NFL history to score 4 touchdowns in 2 straight games,
     Second player in NFL history with 1,800 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards in one season.
     Tied the record for most consecutive games with a touchdown score with Hall of Fame fullback Lenny Moore (18),
     Tied for third place for most career 200-yard rushing games with several other players (4).

Tomlinson had season many pro’s dream about and one spectacular moment was when he scored the touchdown in San Diego against the Broncos when he broke the single season touch down record and was hoisted on the massive shoulder of his offensive line as the stadium shook with the screaming fans. Charger fans turned in the stands and hugged strangers. Many people, big burley men and beautiful southern California beauties wiped tears from their eyes unashamed. I was in the stands that day, next to a good friend and I will never forget that.

Tomlinson gave us all a very memorable season, but also earned himself:
     NFL Most Valuable Player,
     Offensive Player of Year,
     First-team All-Pro by Associated Press,
     Received 44 of possible 50 MVP votes,
     38 of possible 50 OPOY votes,
     Unanimous All-Pro choice,
     Runner up to Tiger Woods for AP Male Athlete of Year Award,
     Shared Walter Payton NFL Man of Year Award with Drew Brees,
     Pro Bowl Starter,
     Best Player in NFL by Sports Illustrated,
     Sportsman of Year by Sporting News,
     NFL Player of Year and All-Pro by TSN,
     48th Annual Bert Bell Award winner,
     Running Back of Year by NFL Alumni Association

His accolades go on. So I start to wonder, is it a fluke? The team is loaded with pro bowl talent and I have only touched on LT. Rivers silenced many critics including myself on his way to a Pro Bowl birth in his first season as a starter. Many talking heads before the season began predicted doom and gloom for the Chargers who shipped off incumbent quarterback Drew Brees and handed the reins of the team over to Rivers.

In his first year as a starter he posted a 92.0 quarterback rating, throwing for 3536 yards, 22 touchdowns and only 9 interceptions. A season that demanded a pro bowl appearance; a he got but could not play due to an injury to his foot. He also lead the NFL in fourth quarter passer rating (116.6), going 58 of 88 for 798 yards with seven TDs and one INT and was the NFL’s second-highest-rated passer in second half of games (99.3), going 123 or 203 for 1,616 yards with 12 scores and three picks. Was that all a fluke. The voice in my head continues it’s assault.

Then AJ Smith comes on the screen speaking about Philip Rivers and the puzzle starts to fall into place. You simply have to continue to look down the roster to see why 2006 turned out as it did. Where to stop next? Linebacker!

The Shawne and Shaun linebacking duo was one of the most effective linebacking combos in the league last season. Shawne Merriman compiling 17 sacks in just 12 games. He was named Defensive Player of Week by USA Today and SportsIllustrated.com after matching career high with three sacks Oct. 29 against St. Louis, first sack of day, seven-yard sack against Marc Bulger on Rams first offensive series of game, helped force three-and-out and Chargers scored touchdown on ensuing drive to go up 14-0 in first quarter...later ended St. Louis’ first drive of third quarter with five-yard sack on third down, also ended late third-quarter drive with pressure on Bulger to force an incompletion. Shawne also found the ball once in the air, registering an interception as well as 7 passes defensed.

Shaun Phillips ‘the other guy’ terrorized teams and started early; delivering big way with 2.0 sacks, five tackles and pair of passes defensed on the September 11 season opener at Oakland where he teamed with Luis Castillo to sack Aaron Brooks for three-yard loss on third-and-nine play in second quarter. Then later in second quarter, teamed with Donnie Edwards for seven-yard sack of Brooks and in fourth quarter, sacked Andrew Walter for five-yard loss on third-and-15 play to force Raiders punt. He and Merriman helped make the Chargers defense the unit that registered the most sacks in the NFL in ’06. Shaun racked up 11.5 of his own and added 6 passes defensed.

Shaun and Shawne were not the only defensive players to open eyes. Quentin Jammer lead the team with 4 interceptions and had 14 passes defensed. Jamal Williams, Igor Olshansky and Luis Castillo combined to be one of the toughest units against the run last season. A fluke? The voice is much quieter at this point. You start to look at the young players that are on the team now and how can you consider this a fluke?

AJ Smith, Jimmy Raye - Director of College Scouting, Dennis Abraham - Director of Pro Scouting, John Spanos - Assistant Director of College Scouting, Mike Biehl - College Scout, Tom Gibbons - College Scout, Ed Langsdorf - College Scout, Tom McConnaughey - College Scout, Darrell Moody - College Scout, Paul Skansi - College Scout, Bryan Cox - Pro Scout, and Chris Hobbs - Scouting Assistant have teamed to bring fresh young talent to the team in a way that no other Charger team has seen. It is no mistake that this team is being built like some ancient war machine, build to batter the stone walls before it until they are nothing but sand and rubble. No they have been very deliberate in the acquisition of talent. They have a plan and we are starting to see the fruits of their labors.

We should recognize the efforts of these people but also the support of the team ownership who have supported this team and brought in the football minds to create a team that is poised to be a dynasty.

So as the show went on, and I saw the many lucky bounces the Chargers enjoyed I had less and less concern over a fluke but instead more and more confidence that it was indeed design. Yes we had some lucky breaks. But good teams make their luck and the Chargers were no different. The team had no quit, the only thing I did not see was post season experience. They have that now, so it is onward and upward. There is not fluke we can expect more of the same from this team.

I know they will demand it of themselves.

So to answer the initial question: Was 2006 a fluke? No it was not. It was an all out deliberate assault on the teams they faced in the regular season. Now they have a new 16 opponents in between them and the post season. Would you want to be standing in front of that war machine?

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    For the New Orleans Saints? Yes.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Congrats on typing all that out only to answer your own question.

I will now send you $1 bolt bucks.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Sorry, I forgott to ask your permission to post. :tdown:

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    BC post

6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'll forgive you this time. Next time there'll be no money though.

7. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    The only fluke was that we didn't win the Super Bowl. Hands down, we had the best team in the NFL...Problem was, our coaches and players new it and didn't play like a "team" of champions vs. NE. If we discipline up and play like champs we could have won the whole damn thing.

SHOULDA, COULDA, WOULDA...It's all about what we have done lately, and that is a simple answer...We have not done **** yet and the best is yet to come.

TBF

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Marty = No ring

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I was about to post this same exact sentence. Apparently great minds think alike. :tup: Rep to you!

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    that was a season for the ages and everything you listed, there's a possibility we will never see anything like it again.

The things I know for sure weren't flukes
    1. Merriman's dominance
    2. Phillips becoming a great pass rushing LB
    3. McNeil's dominance
    4. Jackson becoming a #1
    5. Mcree's great play
    6. Rivers will continue to evolve and play well
    and above all else
    7. We are now a long term contending team

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well put my little insect eating friend!!!:tup:

And regardless of what the bolt buck brained nincompoops think, that was the entire point of the post.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We are more experienced this year at QB, more mature at WR and deeper across the roster. We didn't have many blowouts last year. That is about to change. There isn't a single defensive alignment we can't use for ourselves and there are none that we don't have the players to attack in more than one way. We are better than we were last year.

13. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Was 2005 a fluke with all those close games we lost? We shoulda went all the way!

14. Kyle

Kyle BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    The only fluke was the loss to the Pats.

15. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148

Agree...And the only thing stopping us is bad game planning, loss of discipline and injuries...

I think Norv will run a better game then trumpys brother, Marty Schotinburg did...I also believe that Norvy boy will go for the f-ing jugular instead of the conservative angle.

PS...Norv Turner sure is a good looking guy isn't he?

TBF

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

Yeah, let's hope that Norv can maintain his composure enough not to waste challenges & make some of the other bone-headed moves Marty made in pressure situations.

17. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Its already been said - the last team that went 14-2 (2005 Colts) won the SuperBowl the very next year (2006). Let's just hope that history does repeat itself. :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  18. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Norv is not Marty and that is good, but Norv has a ****** record and that is bad...

What does good + bad = ...? I have no idea I sucked at math, but what I do know is that Norv is one of the NFL's best offensive minds. Couple that with some of the best talent in the league and only good can come offensively. Like I have been saying for weeks now...If Norv and his staff can compile a good game plan, then they simply need to let the players play...

19. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Definitly mate..the players you've listed are going to do the same this season as last season

20. KNSD

KNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, it was a fluke to suffer so many injuries (and Merriman's suspension) and still post a 14-2 record. This team is LOADED!

21. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    If we don't at least win the AFC Championship, we could possibly top the list as the "best team to not make it to the Superbowl"...

TBF

22. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    This team is loaded with talent on the field. That is where our hope lies. You are right though, if we don't get to the Super Bowl its going to start looking like a repeat of the Fouts years where at times we had the best team in the league but they blew it in the playoffs.

23. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Like you said, we have been at the top of the best that hasn't list before...This team would top the Coryell era easily IMO...

I dont want to do that **** again!

TBF

24. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    All we need to do is play like we did last season minus the Marty Ball in week 3

25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Has conc run out of interesting thread ideas?

26. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    he might have..we'll have to wait and see

27. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I think it is a deeply ingrained thing as Charger fans that we have a bit of the nervousness going on. Our history is littered with disappointment.

The '79 debacle against Houston.
    The loss against the Raiders the following year.
    The loss against Cincy the year after.

All extremely painful - particularly in '79 and '80, where we were arguably the best football teams of the era.

Then the Superbowl loss in '95.
    Cryan L***.

And finally, two first-round exits in three years vs. the Jets and Pats, both teams we should have beaten handily.

So I can understand what Concudan means when he says that there's always that pessimistic devil on your shoulder, arguing with the Bolt Homer sitting by the other ear.

But I will say this - I have never been more confident in any other football team in any league or level. This team is the strongest football team I've seen short of the illegal 49er team that beat us in '95. It is not a fantasy to say that this Charger team should not lose a game all year.

No, we are not a fluke. '05 was a fluke. The Chargers haven't been a flash in the pan since 2004.

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed. Last years team was the best squad I have seen in 40 years. This years' squad despite losing Edwards is a step up. Adding Weddle only deepens our backfield and increases the competition. Davis stretches the field with his 4.37 speed and something we have not had since - forever. That opens up the underneath routes and lanes for LT to pillage. This should be our year. No excuses.

29. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    First thing that came to my mind.

No disrespect Conc, but we may all start donating some bolt cash so you can go divulge these and other thoughts to a therapist.

Well, this one time at camp, I remember getting slapped in the face with a trout......

:trout:

30. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    79-80-81 is the run we're looking to avoid this time.

This team would beat the crap out of the 1995 squad. It's not close.