1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

was anyone worried when...?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jan 14, 2008.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    after getting the ball back with 2:01 left in the game (after the colts first missed 4th down try) the Chargers ran 3 times up the middle to run out the clock, not trying for a first down.

That gave the ball back to the colts with some 1:42 left and 1 timeout :no:

shades of Marty ball don't ya think?

P.S. This is my only (small, very small) critizism of this great game.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I dont take it as shades of martyball.

No way did I want Volek throwing it. An Int would have lost the game for us.

They were geared to stop the run on that drive. They did it, I felt our D could stop them on the last drive.

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I didn't like it either, but I don't think Norv gets that ubber conservative with Rivers behind center.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I understand you guys, and it worked, but can you imagine the meltdown if it hadn't worked? :icon_eek:

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    It would have sucked

The meltdown that would have ensued had Volek thrown an INT that was ran back for a TD would have sucked as well.

No point in thinking about it really, it worked and we should just embrace it.

But yeah, I was arguing to let Volek throw for a first down at the time of the calls.

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I wasn't too worried because of the way Scifres was booming those kicks. I felt like they were just gonna run out of time. And then the kid nailed another one and it was a thing of beauty. :abq2:

7. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504

Yep 66 yard clutch punt. Even Deerdork had to call him the best punter in all of football.

8. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I didn't want Volek throwing the ball on our own 10 yard line in that situation. I was worried more about any Peyton magic. You knew that the Colts defense was going to stack the box.

9. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I was not any more worried than I was for the entire game. I did not want him throwing the ball though, that's for sure.