1. Welcome to Los Angeles Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the Los Angeles Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

was anyone worried when...?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jan 14, 2008.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +757
    after getting the ball back with 2:01 left in the game (after the colts first missed 4th down try) the Chargers ran 3 times up the middle to run out the clock, not trying for a first down.

That gave the ball back to the colts with some 1:42 left and 1 timeout :no:

shades of Marty ball don't ya think?

P.S. This is my only (small, very small) critizism of this great game.

2. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,134
    I dont take it as shades of martyball.

No way did I want Volek throwing it. An Int would have lost the game for us.

They were geared to stop the run on that drive. They did it, I felt our D could stop them on the last drive.

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    I didn't like it either, but I don't think Norv gets that ubber conservative with Rivers behind center.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +757
    I understand you guys, and it worked, but can you imagine the meltdown if it hadn't worked? :icon_eek:

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    It would have sucked

The meltdown that would have ensued had Volek thrown an INT that was ran back for a TD would have sucked as well.

No point in thinking about it really, it worked and we should just embrace it.

But yeah, I was arguing to let Volek throw for a first down at the time of the calls.

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I wasn't too worried because of the way Scifres was booming those kicks. I felt like they were just gonna run out of time. And then the kid nailed another one and it was a thing of beauty. :abq2:

7. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +515

Yep 66 yard clutch punt. Even Deerdork had to call him the best punter in all of football.

8. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I didn't want Volek throwing the ball on our own 10 yard line in that situation. I was worried more about any Peyton magic. You knew that the Colts defense was going to stack the box.

9. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I was not any more worried than I was for the entire game. I did not want him throwing the ball though, that's for sure.