1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Was Hester A wasted bunch of picks?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I figured that we'd use our earlier draft picks to get a saftey but it still looks like we did well.

Letter to AJ and Norv...
    AJ, we didn't get a second round this season since you gave it up to get Hester last season.
    Norv, Do NOT let Hester ride the bench all season!

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Grade our draft...

Hey, why not write that letter to Hester and tell him to earn the spot on the grass instead of expecting a coach to hand the spot to him just because we gave up picks to move ahead and take him.

If Hester Earns it, he will get it. Asking for it to be given to him is a recipe for disaster IMO.:tdown:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Grade our draft...

You can only do so much on the bench. We saw some of him in the playoffs against the Ponies and it was impressive.

And how do you know he hasn't earned it as opposed to expecting something handed to him? You don't! So STFU!!!

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Grade our draft...

Actually you are the one asking for it to be handed to him.

See there is something that happens on non-football playing days... It is called practice.

If he doesn't step up and perform there, he is not handed a chance to perform in the game. He has to EARN the spot. Regardless of what BS you are tossing around about how the Coach and GM are hating on him.

So go on with your bad self and Coach/GM hating rhetoric, but it one of the lamest points of view you have put forth so far IMO.

Let Hester earn it. That is the bottom line.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,897
    Grade our draft...

Didn't we move up to get Hester because he's supposed to fit Norv's style of offense?

I'd like to think that if he's not on the field there's a reason behind it regarding his performance in practices.

But, I admit that that's pure assumption on my part.

6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Grade our draft...

You managed to ruin a solid post with one sentance... the last one.:yes:

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Grade our draft...

Rivers first performance (of 3+ quarters) was against the Donks when Brees got hurt. He did not play well, I guess we should have never let him play again. Huh?

Regardless... once again, you do not know how he did in the practices.

BOTTOM LINE... I'd hate to think that we ditched this year's second round for no reason. Besides, I like what I've seen of this guy and I'd like to see more.
    People said the same thing about Rivers when Brees got successful... "I'd like to see what this guy's got."
    So WTFs the problem? There is NONE... you just want to make it a problem.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Grade our draft...

:yes:

None of us know about his performance (or lack of) in practices but Conc claims to have all the answers.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Grade our draft...

Whatever. If the victim card keeps you warm, you go girl.

Hester has to prove he deserves to be on the field before the others on the roster ahead of him. That is the bottom line. If he does that we will see more of him. If not we will not see more of him.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Grade our draft...

Really? You are the one saying that Norv and AJ are keeping Hester on the pine. So what exactly are you trying to say? Or do you even know?

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,897
    Grade our draft...

Neither do you. :icon_shrug:

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Grade our draft...

You have nothing saying he didn't as I have nothing saying he did. Though he was impressive in the playoffs against Indy. He got the play time because of LT's injury.
    Had they played him against the Steelers, we might have had a better chance. Who knows?

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Grade our draft...

Uhggggggg. Who sends the players onto the field?

Wasn't that easy?!!!

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Grade our draft...

Very true. To each their own opinion.

B4L can say that AJ and Norv are letting Hester ride the pine. I say let Hester TAKE his roster spot by showing in camp, practice, meetings or any way he can that he deserves the spot on the grass.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Grade our draft...

He got his first start due to an injury to Tolbert. That tells me that he did not show that he should be starting ahead of Tolbert. What does it tell you?

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Grade our draft...

Are you seriously saying you want to touch our asses? :icon_eek:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Grade our draft...

And I don't claim to. Though Like I keep saying "I saw him play on the field and like what I saw."

Also keep in mind that not only did we get Hester because he's supposed to fit Norv's style of offense... we lost one of the best full backs to ever play the game (if not the best) for that reason.

Yes... he wanted to be released. Because Norv's style of offense didn't have a place for him and he knew that.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Grade our draft...

It tells me that he needs development just like any rookie.
    I pointed out an example.

He didn't score a touchdown the first time he touched the ball in his entire career. Hes sucks!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Grade our draft...

You feel this is a test? No. It is not. But if you are in a pissy mood maybe you should go do something else. :icon_shrug:

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Grade our draft...

You are the only one who has said he sucks. If that is your opinion so be it.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Grade our draft...

WOW!!! You don't even realized when you're being mimicked? :lol:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Grade our draft...

I hope so but I kind of doubt it. If so,we would have seen him in the Steelers game.

My point was that I hope this year's draft is a reminder of what we have.

23. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +631
    Grade our draft...

Hey TMan! You like the BEEF we got in the draft?

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Grade our draft...

I will let you know after a few camps and pre-season games but from the metrics - yeah - I likey. I even like the shot across the bow of Merriman in selecting a linebacker with the first pick. I just hope that AJ did not blow it on the English pick. The dude was the 5th or 6th SLOWEST LB (something like that) and that kicked me in the fan nads.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    To get back to the subject... I think Hester needs to be used the same way Marty used MT.
    I'm not saying Hester is MT but I think the could take A LOT of pressure of LT and put up lots of yards and points.
    This is also not a put down towards Norv but we Didn't see MT on the field at all in his last season here, until the playoffs... because LT got hurt. That's why I don't believe that Hester is not playing for his spot.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    That is very inaccurate.

Rushing alone he got touched in all but 2 games.

10 attempts vs Chicago
    1 attempt vs NE
    4 attempts vs GB
    2 attempts vs KC
    10 attempts vs Den
    5 attempts vs Oak
    4 attempts vs Hou
    1 attempts vs Min
    2 attempts vs Bal
    7 attempts vs KC
    2 attempts vs Tenn
    5 attempts vs DET
    7 attempts vs Den
    11 attempts vs Oak

He had receptions 3 others. So he was involved as backups usually are, as a change of pace. He was used, there was no forgetting or ignoring MT in 2007.

27. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +631
    Grade our draft...

We don't need him to run down WRs, so 40 time is subjective, but most reports describe him as "quick". If he has that quick twitch first 2-3 steps, that's all he needs to get around a OT.

The OG in the 3rd looks like a mauler as well.

I really like the DT/DE guy from Canada. Good reads on him as well, plus a 38 on the Wonderlic.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Grade our draft...

Tell the truth I think the 40 time is the stupidest thing they have. No pads. No game situations. No use.

How many slow players have ended up being fast on the field because there is GAME SPEED and track and field speed?

Remember, Jerry Rice wasn't 'fast' either...

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

When I said "at all," I didn't mean literally, but saying "he got a touch or two here and there" is hardly being used.
    14 games out of 16
    Some games he had 1-4 attempts
    the most was 11

If you remember, in the 2006 season, fans were talking about MT all the time. A big question for Norv in 2007 was "why aren't we seeing much of MT?" His answer was "we haven't had a chance to use him yet."

I was at the Jacksonville game. There were plenty of Chargers fans and all the ones I spoke to kept asking "where's MT?"

I think a BIG reason why LT was able to stay healthy all these years was having Chapman and MT on the field more often.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Ok, so what you say is not what you mean.

If I could suggest, maybe you want to start saying what you mean. Because a back up is expected to do just what the 2007 numbers show. Provide a breather and a change of pace.

There are schemes that feature two backs, some even three. The Titans would be an example of the first, and the Giants an example of the latter (from last season).

We do not have that scheme here. The back ups are used for change of pace and breathers. Nothing more.

Hester will be used more. If he wants the spot, steps it up in practice he could find himself as the starting full back come September. But he has to want it. I believe he does.

My ONLY disagreement with you on this account is that he needs to earn it, not have it handed to him. This is not a case like Rivers. There are too many good RBs on this team for the reins to just be handed to Hester.

He came on last season and he should continue to come on. If he doesn't, it will not be because the coaches or GM don't like him, it will be because there is someone else out plying him.

That is my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.