1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Was Hester A wasted bunch of picks?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +226
    I don’t think that Jacob Hester amounts to “a bunch of wasted picks” any more than Eric Weddle does…AJ saw something in both these players to make him want them bad enough to trade picks in order to move up and get them, because neither one of them would’ve been available when our turn to pick next came.

Hester was the starting RB on a national championship football team, and drew high praise from one of the better college players of today, Florida QB Tim Tebow who called Jacob a “war daddy”. When Hester was selected, the Bolts front office did not yet foresee the emergence of Mike Tolbert, who was signed as an UFA after the draft was complete. If Tolbert wasn’t so effective, Hester would’ve likely seen a lot more playing time last season but I’m not ready to judge him after only 1 season in the league, a season spent as a rookie and splitting time with another one…

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Nice post. Thanks! :tup:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Again... what part of "injured" do you and Conc not understand?
    Yeah... he played in the playoffs in 2007 due to LT's injury.

And as IND pointed out... "only 4.5?"
    What's elite to you? Touchdown on every play?

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Dude, let me just speak plainly for a moment. I will try to do so in a nice manner for you.

First off, what point are you trying to make?

There is no great disapearance, the two games he was injured would have cost him at the most what 10 carries?

But more importantly what difference does this make?

What in the heck does MT's carries have to do with Hester earning a starting roll or being handed one as you want?

Are you actually trying to paint things as if Norv is hindering the RBs? There is nothing to support that but your warped perception IMO. Please provide information to the contrary with links if I am wrong. In other words, lets go beyond the very jaded opinions and bring facts into the discussion.

You are all over the map. Clear your head and post something that makes sense. Please!

5. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think you are reading too much into the "only" part .. I was just comparing the 2 YPC averages.

6. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Historically teams Norv coaches the RBs do very well.

LT while injured, behind an injured O-line, still put up top 15 RB numbers. All this while having one of the most efficient QBs. That is why we had a good offense.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    True, very true.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

It shouldn't be hard to understand but then again...

Hester was suppose to fit into Norv's play calling. We agreed that he needs development, but he got very little play time.

If a plan is set and Hester is a part of it... get him in the game. Plain and simple!!! Yes, he has to earn it. Let him play, give him time to develop, and make a decision from there.

MT was gone at the end of 2007 and we all knew that BUT there is a reason we decided to keep him in 2007 (as opposed to trading him)!!!
    Due to his contract, we wouldn't have got much but something.

Not to mention that this talk about Norv's play calling cost us one the the best FBs to ever play the game. Yes Niel was asked to be released. We've been over this and why he did.

Then of course, we had no second round draft pick.

BOTTOM LINE... You see the losses we took for him, now get him on the field.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    The bolded sections are all that was needed. We are in agreement. Thank you.:tup:

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And let him earn it on the field!

11. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    He has never not earned it on the field. Just sayin. Long time Hester fan. If history repeats itself, expect a substantial improvement. Dude is a baller and never cheats himself or the team. A little time for him is all he really needs. 2 star outta high school he adapts and developes very well, has a heart of any 5 star. He is the kind of player you should expect to improve the next game and then again. I look forward to his opportunity to prove himself all over again.

Sounds like a homer but the truth is we LSU fans are passionate about our players, to the point we have no problem calling a turd out. Hester is legend.

12. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    Good luck with that! :lol:

13. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    No

Hester is a useful FB who wasn't worth the 2nd round pick.

While I doubt he ever lives up to a 2nd round billing, I expect him to be a solid FB for us.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I like what I've seen of him.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hey... Conc didn't give you permission to speak.
    Now back to his lap.

16. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Hester has played 1 season. He will have his chance to show us what kind of football player he is. I think he will turn into a damm good player who will be a key performer in this league and this Charger team. Give the guy a freaking chance. I seem to remember the same things being bantered about about a guy named Sproles a while ago. Have a little patience people. :bolt:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree and that's what I'm saying... he needs time on the field!

18. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    yes, it looks like oakland traded the 8th pick to the pats for the 15th pick of the second round, but the patriots used the 2nd they got in the hester deal. so from their manipulation of the raiders and chargers they ultimately got ron brace. it looks better on paper but last years deal remains the same

19. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...When all is said and done...A.J. still gave up too much to get Hester. He may turn into a decent FB/HB/H-Back but the Chargers sure could have used that 2nd this year :icon_sad: The Patriots continued to ***** slap other teams in this years draft, already claiming two more 2's for next year.
    It's a strategy I'd love to see the Bolts adopt.

20. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    How was it a 2nd and 3rd? We acquired a "3rd" by trading our 2nd. Ultimately, it was a second round pick ... and while I prefer Tony Fiammetta (who was drafted in round 3 this year) to him, I see him as a useful FB and there is a lot of unproven hyperbole in this thread.

21. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +226
    Any comments on Buster Davis? :icon_shrug:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Third Season = Make or Break Season!

23. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    hester was drafted in the third round. thats a third round pick. plus the patriots got a second round pick. thats a second round pick. 2 + 3 = 2 and 3

:icon_huh:

24. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    :lol:

What kind of logic are you using to get to this point?

Here let me help you out. You have a '67 Mustang that you decide to trade with your buddy for his '73 Vette. Two weeks later you decide to trade your Vette for a 21' Bayliner. The Bayliner did not cost you a Mustang and a Vette. You can look at it as trading the Mustang for the Bayliner or the Vette for the Bayliner but not both.

Using that logic you can say that Hester cost us a 2009 2nd round pick or a 2008 third round pick but not both.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    This thread that B4L built is going strong! :lol:

26. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Buster is a great receiver and has the ability to remain as such. He has phenomenal hands and great insight on being only where the ball can be thrown. Runs great routes, awesome slot receiver and has a work ethic every team wants. Not flashy and very humble about his role. He is VERY well loved by the LSU faithful.

It seems he has had a lot of injury time in SD (not sure) which takes away from improvable playing time. I agree though that in a third season, ya gotta step up. I hope that he is healthy and ready to play cause nothing is worse then being labeled a bust over injuries.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Well said. Hester is not the guy who is gonna break a run for 60 yards, or juke a defender out of his socks.
    But he is that guy that will get you 2 yards if you need 1.
    Either by running it himself, or blocking for the RB.

Look on youtube for LSU's game winning drive vs. Florida in '07.
    Everyone in America knew Hester was getting the ball. Yet he always got just what we needed. He wasn't going to be stopped. He wouldn't allow it.

LSU has (always had) a stable of talented backs. Many of them much flashier and more fun to watch. 3 guys (Scott, Williams, Holliday) capable of taking it to the house anytime they touch the ball. But there wasn't a Tiger fan in that Stadium who wanted the ball in anyone else's hands with the game on the line.

reliable WR, but apparently nothing special.
    1st round was probably too high for him. If he can get/stay healthy, he could have a decent NFL career, but will probably never develop into a ProBowl type player.

I was wrong on him. Though for sure he would be the better pro than Dwayne Bowe.
    Bowe was feast or famine at LSU. He could score 3 TDs and be an unstoppable machine, or he could show up with his concrete gloves and not be able to catch a cold.

Buster was always the same guy every game
    3-7 catches, 50-70 yards.
    Clutch on 3rd downs.
    Like clockwork.

• Like Like x 1
  28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This thread is a classic tug of war between utterly ridiculous and sheer brilliance. :lol:

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Just keep your goons out of it!!!!

30. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    speaking of Wasted Pics...

[​IMG]

Thread Status: