1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Was Hester A wasted bunch of picks?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Its way too early to tell if hester is a wasted pick, he didn't start til halfway through the year and was replacing the best blocking fullback evah. Give him some damn time before calling him a bust, i mean hell we gave S. Davis years to try and prove himself. I'm willing to see what he does this year as the starting fullback with a set role. Though I don't think anyone, even AJ, doesn't wish he could've gotten HEster and not given up his second this past draft, that's pretty much a given.

B. Davis is far more likely to be a bust right now, I thought he'd be a good compliment to Jackson and wow have I been wrong.

2. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Hester the Molester rules!

Kid plays with heart; he got a late start but showed some flashes; I could care less about the speed side there are a ton of impressive fast amazing players on the benches on all the nfl squads. This dude has heart and that's what the bolts spent picks to get. He plays the game it should be played and I think he is going to be much much better as time progresses. :bolt:

3. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    ok you win,

but i wouldnt trade a 67 mustang for anything,

and the chargers still burnt a 5th rounder that year too. so there was a cost, besides the difference btwn a '08 3rd vs a '09 2nd. the fact that these picks were given to the pats just makes it worse. thats like saying the guy who you traded your mustang to stole your dog and made it attack you later too. :icon_sad:

4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    My two cents:

Jacob Hester was drafted as both a backup RB and as the starting Fullback, essentially replacing two players (LoNeal and Michael Turner). That is what made AJ think he was worth what we gave up to draft him.

But it became clear during the offseason that Hester was too slow to get significant carries as a RB, and (IMO) he is too small to be an effective run-blocking FB. Thus we had a UFA starting ahead of him (Tolbert).

That is why I am calling him a bust. And I think you CAN make quick judgements on running backs. The average career at that position is 2.6 years, so you'd better get a quick return on your investment.

Time will tell, but I have a feeling that I will be proven right in the very near future.

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Good point, it is not too early to call him or any other second-year RB a bust.

6. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Concerned Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +214
    Appreciate the honest, “hometown” perspective from the purple & gold faithful who have most likely seen these former Tigers/now Chargers a lot more than any of us have.

Buster has had his share of injuries after moving out west, but I can recall flashes of brilliance when he has been able to play, especially early last season. Flashback: Buster Davis/Mike Tolbert Love Thread He’s potentially a great slot receiver, with breakaway speed if he can get outside the numbers and run up the sidelines.

As for Hester, I think that the multiple draft picks surrendered for the opportunity to select him has made many fans expect too much from him, too soon. He’s a solid player and good special teams performer, I think he even caused or recovered a fumble on an opponent’s kick return last season. As mentioned before, the surprising Tolbert definitely cuts into Hester’s playing time but Jacob’s a smart player, a good blocker and I have the utmost amount of confidence of his clutch ability to come through in any “tough yardage” situation, even if everyone in the stadium & watching on TV knew that he was getting the ball.

7. obviousman03

obviousman03 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    While I'm the first to mention that Hester needs to put on some pounds to become a FB of Neal's talents, I think the main reason Tolbert started ahead of him was experience. Although Hester was called a FB in college, he played HB and had very little experience being the lead blocker for somebody else. Once he learned, and got a shot due to Tolbert's injury, I think he proved he's a better option than Tolbert at FB.

I did an in-depth analysis of Hester's first year as a blocker here.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Your reasoning for saying it's not too early to judge Hester is a tad ridiculous, because any RB you draft that lasts only 2.6 years is pretty much a bust by definition. The 2.6 year number is also flawed because it includes all RBs, not just draft picks. I'm sure that number is pulled down greatly by UDFAs who don't last minicamp or only spend a year on the practice squad. The number is also greatly affected by HBs who have shorter careers than FBs. Hester is first and foremost a FB.

Personally, I remain skeptical about whether Hester has the athletic ability to ever develop into the kind of contributor that would justify paying what we did to get him. But it's way too early to call him a bust.

9. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

I don’t think it’s ridiculous at all. Running backs need to produce fairly quickly in this league. The average career number might be skewed a little bit by UDFA’s, but that would apply to all positions. RB’s clearly have the shortest shelf life, thus the need to see a return on investment sooner than other positions.

I also think that you can call a player a bust whenever you want. I personally don’t need to wait another year to believe that Hester will never be worth what we gave up to draft him. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I’m just calling my shot now, that’s all. If everybody waited until after the fact to weigh in with their opinions, the discussion on these boards would be pretty boring.

10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Hindsight is 20-20 but so far we've had just as much production from Tolbert if not more.

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Hester mad the dog house when he put the ball on the turf the first time he touched the ball if I am not mistaken. It is hard for rookies to get out of there when they do.

He had the entire off season to prep himself for this year. I am sure he learned a valuable lesson that day. To say he is a waste of picks is way too premature. Why don’t you wait to till the end of this season to start making a judgment on him.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    ITT: people who love to label a guy with 1 year NFL exp. a bust, and the people who loathe those people

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    If LT had played like a pro bowler for his first 2.5 years in the league and then retired due to injuries he would have not been worth the #5 overall pick.

You can predict that he will be a bust. But to say he already is a bust based on his first season in the league? That's an overstatement. I have doubts about Hester's athletic ability and how that will limit him in the NFL, but I think it's far too early to call him a bust.

14. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    if his pro career is anything like his college one was, it will be a long time before he loses another fumble.

at LSU, he lost one early in his Freshman year.
    and then played the next 3.5+ years without ever losing another one.

15. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I agree Hester needs the extra lbs. Problem here is there is no quality fuggin boudin in this town and that sir is a problem. Just sayin but I have 35 pounds of the worlds very best so Jake, call homie, 'I'll hook a brotha up!

A very accurate statement which I noticed right off the cuff in pre-season. Hester developed very well considering playing time and having an dinged LT and Sproles in play. I saw Tolbert and Hester as about the very same at the beginning of the season. They both have pretty much the same running style but Tolbert had a bit more cut to him. Season wears on and the obvious took over. Had Tolbert not been injured we all may very well call Hester a bust and so far all but 1 or 2 in this thread think so.

Guess what I am saying is Hester excels best through the test of fire. Baring injury, getting more playing time is only going to strengthen his abilities. What is certain is he has already proven just that.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    The thread B4L built is still going strong.

I like the converstaions that are occuring, especially since this began as B4L wanting to have Hester handed a starting role, and myself saying he needed to earn the starting role...

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yup. I wanted LT benched and have Hester out there for every down. :rolleyes:

As I keep saying... "you don't work with the Chargers, so you don't know that he didn't earn it. Sure as I don't know if he did."
    No need to impress your goons. You already have them on a leash!

18. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

In College it is one thing, in Pro it is entirely different.

I hope he does end up proving everyone wrong.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    No, no you are right. He earned every minute of waiting behind two other FBs and several RBs.

I realize you have a hard time seperating Madden games from the NFL, but players who earn the opportunity to play do.

The Chargers are one of very few teams that does not have to rush ANY player into a strating role. Hester is no different. No one is saying that he is not a good player, just that he needs to show the coaches that he is ready to step up and be the starter.

He has the luxury of being able to take a little time to do that. I know your position on Norv and AJ, but your conspiracy theories about them keeping hester on the pine behind lesser players is nonsense to say the least.

You keep saying that 'no one knows'. Well I will tell you this, coaches in this league have to put their best players on the field, Norv is no exception to the rule. If Hester was the best choice, he would have been on the grass much earlier. I do not think it was a slight to him that he did not break the rookie rushing record. He is developing, and having the time to do it without stressing about it.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173

You know, your smack would be rockin if I was still in the 4th grade. But seeings how I am not it only shows you as incapable of discussing the topic at hand when you cant adress the post without trying to make it out to be something about 'goons" or "lap dogs" or what ever weak assed crap you try and deflect with.

When you are capable of carrying on a converstaion without that stuff, let me know.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

And all coaches always make the right decisions. huh?
    If that were true, no coach would get fired.

The ONLY conspiracy theory here is your "Norv can do no wrong" fantasy.

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And what does this have to do with Hester, Chargers, NFL, or football?

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm sentencing this aborted thread to death. It was not fun while it lasted and I hope that we cut Hester so it never happens again. :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.