1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Was it Whizzer, McCoy or Rivers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006
    Last season if the team got into 3rd and long we would run up the middle or throw short leading to a punt more often than not. This season we seem to be attacking more down the field especially on plays like yesterday when in a 2nd and 15 we went for the down the field pass allowing Floyd to move the chains.

So did they learn, gain confidence or just become more aggressive?
  2. tito

tito BoltTalker

Apr 24, 2014
    Probably Whiz. Losing Floyd last year stunk, he and Rivers are money deep.

You know McCoy is kind of hard to figure out. I mean he was a John Fox guy so he has some of the conservative Marty thing in him. But at the same time he creates a wide open offense for Rivers and pretty much gives him cart blanche. He's seems pretty innovative too. It's weird.

Or maybe he's just a smart guy and we've been so saddled with stubborn coaches for years and years.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Oct 2, 2011
    Malc sure isn't looking like a guy who "might never play again" is he? Playin' balls out!! :)

M-80 Floyd!!.png
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Aug 14, 2006
    I was very skeptical about McCoy coming in, I thought a lot of his success could be attributed to Peyton Manning or that he might be getting credit for Josh McDaniels making Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow viable....but I am ecstactic about what I've seen.

If I got one small complaint about how things are done, it's only that Green hasn't been a bigger part of the offense. Gates' resurgence is holding him back of course, but he should be target option 2 or 3 when we get into the redzone. According to PFF.com Green has played 111 snaps, he's been a blocker on 72 of them, I don't love that usage.

But other than that, I think we may have landed the next great head coach.
  5. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

May 7, 2011
    And Green has been very average as a blocker. To be quite fair, AG85 was never the greatest blocker either, but for LG89 to take over the TE reign, he must do much better in all facets of his time on the field.

Gates has definitely shown a great resurgence in motivation and achievements so far this season, which may very well have something to do with his personal grief.
    • Agree Agree x 2

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Jul 11, 2006
    I don't know what the answer is but I have really liked the way this team has played in all three phases of the game. The offense is really tough to figure as I believe it's the only think that McCoy has been truthful about and it is a mixture of things. When they get it rolling all the defensive units look absolutely stymied as to what in hell they should try next to slow it down.

Pag's defense has been a totally different beast this year. They are hitting with authority and making plays at very opportunistic times. The backfield is playing much faster than I can recall in many years if ever and flying to the ball, even their run support has been very effective. The front seven are about the only concern I have as they come off as a bit weak up the gut, don't know if Butler has hit a plateau but I believe he's better than what he's shown up to this point (dinged up). More takeaways would be first up on my order list but I'd settle for strength up the gut without complaint.

Special teams, it's a whole different ballgame. Kickoffs and punt returns don't conjure up anxiety levels not safe for humans any longer. There was a time I couldn't watch them as the disturbance of such inept play caused short circuit bringing on momentary amnesia and total blackout. This unit has brought back fun to the Bolts missing link of total team play and execution.
    • Winner Winner x 1