1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Was McCree's hit a CHEAP SHOT ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Nov 13, 2006.

?

Was the hit McCree put on TJ a cheap shot - YES or NO

Poll closed Feb 11, 2007.
  1. YES

10.3%
  2. NO

71.8%
  3. I hate stupid polls

17.9%
  1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Was the hit McCree put on T.J. Whoisyourmama a cheap shot ?

Yes or No.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    really, it depends on your definition of "cheap shot"

I'm going to vote no simply because I don't think he was trying to take TJ out...he just horribly mistimed his hit.

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I voted no because of the same reason.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I don't think we need another thread on this, but I respect your posts and so I'll chime in.

No, I don't think it was a cheap shot and here's why.

1. McCree isn't that type of player.
    2. To take a penalty at that critical time would be stupid and I don't think he's a stupid player.
    3. If he's timing his hit to arrive when the ball gets there, it's possible that from his angle he either couldn't see the ball clearly or misjudged the timing because it was coming directly at him. I have this same 'trouble' judging distances from my seats at the Q which are right in the endzone. Any golfer knows that to accurately judge a distance, you should move to the side a bit and see the actual distance, etc.
    4. It was shoulder to shoulder. He was just trying to put the big hit on him.
    5. It wasn't McCree's hit that hurt TJ. It was after the hit when he bent his head and neck on Godfrey's knee.

Basically, it was a mis-timed hit.

I don't like hearing Dickdork railing on TV about what a "cheap shot" it was. And I didn't like Tom Jackson on ESPN saying that he thinks he may get fined for the hit for being "too early". The NFL Gods are idiots and when they hear this, it affects their decision making because they're too dumb to just look at the tape and see the facts.

You look at the tape and it's clear that he got hurt from the hit on Godfrey's knee. Shall we fine Godfrey for having his knee in the wrong place at the wrong time?

If the NFL wants to go after "cheap shots", then start with the denver donkeys. That ought to keep them busy for a while. But, no.... denver is one of the "precious". They can out right cheat and buy themselves a super bowl and the NFL just gives them a slap on the wrist. It is pathetic how the NFL sucks up to some owners and some players. (Denver, Giants, Mannings, etc.)

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I think everybody has a loose interpretation of what is considered to be a "cheap shot". I do not want to impose what I consider parameters for this question.

To me a "cheap shot" is an action outside the rules of the game which is blatant and is intended to do harm but everyone will see it a bit different.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    I don't know if anyone posted this in one of the other threads, and I didn't want to start yet another McCree/TJ thread, so i'll put it here.

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have been reading the Bengals boards are they are calling for suspensions and have their own polls going so I thought I would see what you all thought.

The announcers blew a lot of the replays out of proportion. The Godfrey knee to TJ's melon and neck did the real damage.

I just saw it as McCree being in the "blind spot" (as he reported) and McCree mistiming his hit.

**** happens and it is a PI and not worthy of a suspension.

I have seen "cheap shots" in this league over the decades but I just did not feel this qualified as one.

Oh well.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    I agree with your main arguments and I don't think it was a cheap shot either.

That being said, I don't think this is a valid argument to back up our case. It was McCree's hit that sent TJ's head flying into Godfrey's knee.

9. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    He should have hit him harder.

• Like Like x 2
  10. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    This will just be another thing for the bungles bandwagon to whine about, just like last year with palmer going down. "We would have won if we had TJ in at the end but they cheated blah blah blah." They will be crying about this for the rest of the season and a good part of next year. Hell, they may even write a song about it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Who Dey? :icon_shrug:

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I didn't think I would be this busy.

Look at my sig!

You see that hit he put on the Turd? TOTALLY FUKn LEGAL. Shoulder pad de-cap.

He came in the same way on TJ. He lead with his SHOULDER PADS, not with his HELMET like that spear master Lynch.

He got there early. That is all. PI. Peroid.

It was pointed out he got his freaking bell rung when he Head met Godfrey's knee. So his hit did not do the damage. **** happens on a football field, it was just bad timing. He hits the turf, he prolly gets up and only misses a play.

GET OFF MY BOY'S BACK. NOW!! :devil: :icon_evil:

He woke those fukers up. Then blasted Rudi. When the D needed someone to step up he did. You should all be kissing his ***.

• Like Like x 1
  13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Trent Green send his regards to TJ Houchmanilla

14. VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN

VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I think it was psycological, TJ was doin good and subconciously he wanted TJ out of the game. BUT im not sure it was intentional,

Kwak, u should get a clip of that hit on TJ and add it to you sig w/ that 1

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Illegal - yes
    Painful - yes
    Dangerous - yes
    Cheap - no

• Like Like x 1
  16. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    That was a normal hit in the 70's a bit early yes but unintention as a killer shot. I'd liked to see our secondary lay the wood more often just like that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Early, yes, illegal, no, cheap, no, I have to see it again in slow motion but I dont think he used his helmet. The comentator said it was bush but he didnt see that his head hit godfreys knee. I dont think he should get fined much cuz his hit was clean, just early.

19. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I wanna see more like that too. The secondary needs to give people reasons not to cross the middle..

Speaking of being scared, how about p*ssy Chris Henry pulling up short on that pass in the endzone? AHAHHAHAHAH he felt the presence. What a p*ssy.

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It was a football play. Marlon admitted he misjudged the ball and went for the hit. He also admitted he got there early. He also went as far as saying he would try to contact Housh'ya'mouth'up and apologize to him for it.

Marlon's a man. TJ is a man. Now it's time for every other man who loves football to just drop this nonsense.

That play will resonate for weeks to come. It will stick in the mind of Javon Walker. You already know the Raiders receivers are thinking "OH no... we're gettin' more of the same from that dude in SD"... And Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Peerless Price... you think they're gonna sell out for JP Losman?

We've now got an intimidator in the secondary. How long has it been since a #20 from the Chargers laid a decent lick on somebody? (Natrone Means?).

I loved it. Lead with shoulder and perform a squeaky clean on-field labotomy to one of the game's best receivers. :tup: I only wish it could have been Chad on that play. Then I wouldn't have had to drink so much alcohol during the last two minutes.:icon_party:

21. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Nicely put. :icon_toast:

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Here is the Video of McCree and Godfreys shot on TJ yesterday

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    If you watch the replay that starts at 1:10 you'll see that McCree actually timed his hit pretty well. Maybe he was a split second too soon, but I don't think that ball was catchable.:icon_shrug:

24. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    It was not cheap; all he did was get there early.

So why did Carson Palmer leave his friend out to dry like that in the first place, he did throw into double coverage over the middle didn’t he?

And things do happen when you go over the middle.

And it was the second hit that took TJ out, so what is wrong with that?

Besides, wasnt it Ocho Stinko doing a cheap imitation of the lights out dance in the end zone? So it is okay to do that, and then you have a QB throwing into double coverage over the middle, then they get their panties all wadded up when their guy gets the brunt of the hit by the second guy. Let’s just put flags on these guys, let QB's wear dresses, and let the lineman wear nail polish!

25. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Yesterday I couldn't see the "helmet to helmet" but today I do...about 34 seconds in...definitely helmet to helmet...accidental or a misjudgement? Who knows? I can only really see it at that one camera angle.

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    He led with his shoulder and upon impact his helmet may have grazed at best TJ's helmet but McCree led with his shoulder.

27. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I've watched it a bunch of times. He led with his shoulder.

28. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

In my eyes, and I love the Bolts, it was more than a graze...TJ got clocked in the first split-second, perhaps unintentionally...jmo. He may have intended to lead with his shoulder, and it may have went awry.

29. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    McCree led with his shoulder square.

The whiplash affect from TJ himself was the thing that led to the helmet to helmet hit. TJ's head going back hitting McCree's helmet is what initiated the helmet to helmet contact.

The Godfreys part of the hit was just inclusive but residual at best.

That is what I saw in the replay footage of the play.

That is also my opinion.

30. eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +695

Was his ... um .... 'bubble' hurt? :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 3