1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Watch this video

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    For those of you who thinks Norv just makes excuses.

Videos

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    what. Norv told his players they didn't come to play? WTF? Isn't it his job to get these pampered overpaid premadona's ready to play??

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ahhh who said he did not? Coaches prepare the players to play, what you and a bunch of other dopes are forgetting is THE PLAYERS HAVE TO PLAY!

The Coach does not go out and make the passes on target, which they were not today.
    The Coach does not go and block the rushers, which did not happen a lot today.
    The Coach does not go out and tackle the runners, which did not happen a lot today.

The Coach coaches, the players play.

If you are expecting anything differently, you need to get your head checked.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Further, the Coaches did their job. They made second half adjustments, and those worked for the most part.

What failed, was the players on the field did not make the plays.

5. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Sorry, the only common thread through all these slow starts is Norv. He is not the only cause of all these pathetic starts, but he is a major contributor. The coaches have a hand in preparing players and getting them mentally ready to compete in the NFL. You can't say that the coach doesn't contribute to a teams preparation and mental toughness. Norv is not doing a good enough job.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I fail to see where anyone has said any of the things you are talking about Skuzz....

The fans are acting like the coaches sit around and play canasta all day long.

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Great! So, the entire team decided to not show up for the first half. Allowing the Rams to put up a 17-3 lead. The coaches are beyond reproach! I love Norv and his coaching style. Not to mention our offensive coordinator. What's his name again?

great game plan. Spot the other team a big lead then try and come back.

yeah, that's all on the players. Maybe they just suck. In that case, fire AJ for drafting them

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    so what is the coach's job? this team WAS NOT prepared to deal with the pressure on Rivers or the short passes from Bradford, hence, they where not ready to play and fell behind 17-0, it is on the players to play, but it's also on the coaches to prepare them, Norv failed miserably

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Who said anything about a free f'in pass? Get real. The Coaches do share the blame. NOTICE THE WORD SHARE?! Everyone here seems to thing, in and ignorant fashion I will add, that if we fire the Coaches the team is suddenly fixed. That may work in video games but does not work in real life.

Further in typical forum fashion you are all 'building fantasies' about what the coaches are not doing rather than looking at the facts.

Why not come back down to earth and stop looking to follow the group think for a while?

10. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    the fans?, what the he11 are you?

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    MOP, how was the coaches supposed to get the OL ready to block? By Practice? So are you insisting that the OL did not practice, that the Coaches told them 'you guys are the cat's meow, you dont need to practice!' Is that what you think? What more should have been done to get the team ready?

The Coaches can only Coach. They did that. There was a loss of continuity on the line because McNeil held out, I guess the Coaches didnt have that hold out ready to play huh?

So enlighten me, what should the Coaches have done differently. Dont give me your generic 'shoulda ahhh got them ready to ball' or any bull crap like that. Come on you educated fans. Tell me in detail what the Coaches failed to do. Who did they not work with, who did they hold out of practice...

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not trying to say the Coaches did nothing all week.

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Once again Curtis, you lost me

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    A one-off bad performance can be blamed on the players...continued bad performances are no longer a player issue...they are a coaching issue.

Either the players are not coached properly. not motivated properly or just don't believe in their head coach!

15. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    the coaches draw up the game plan, how many times have we seen the opponents come out with a game plan the confuses the Chargers for at least a half? how many time have we seen the other team be confused by what the Chargers are doing?

I'm not gonna say it's all on the coaches, but I do see talent on this team, a want to believe that with better coaches they could win it all, if not, the roster would have to be gutted and then start from scratch again

16. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I suppose its the players fault that the Chargers threw the ball late against the Raiders and didn't try to run it out and kick the field goal to win it?

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, as I said. Convince me, what are the detailed keys that the Coaches are failing to cover.

I also ask you to remember the age old military adage of 'No plan survives contact with the enemy'.

18. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    then say "some fans think/say..." not "the fans think/say..." like you where somehow higher than just a fan

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Jim Harbaugh can save us.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Congrats MOP, you just made a case of firing 99% of the coaches in the league. Every coach game plans, and not a single phuquing game plan is played as expected by the competition. What you are asking for are teams to lay down for the Chargers. That is not going to happen.

The best coach in the league can only do so much. I am talking the Walsh's, the Parcell's, the Johnsons the Lombardis etc... They all can only coach, once the whistle blows they need the players to play.

What I saw today was our players playing in a p!ss poor manner. Starting with Rivers. Is he arrogant enought to think he can throw the ball in the air at 8' or in the dirt and the receivers will make him look good game in and game out; the man needs to put the passes on target.

His receivers need to come back to him on blitzes. The Coaches do need short, blitz beating plays to call when the opposition comes balls out after Rivers.

The OL has to block. The D has to stop.

The Coaches go over all of this in detail throughout the week. The Rams came to play and they pushed us around. The Chargers looked like they were sleep walking.

Maybe they think they are all that and a bag of chips. You say it is coaching, fine, I disagree. Bottom line is, if the players cant get up to play in the NFL then we need to ship their azzes to the USFL.

21. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    In that case Norv did call for a run, then Gates had a holding penalty which forced the Chargers to pass, I have no problem asking Rivers to move the ball 10-15 yards in a crucial situation

22. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I like that quote Conc!

I havn't been to a practice session so I can't say exactly what the Coaches are not doing right, but I have several observations...

(1) Norv does not get fired up on the sidelines. He doesn't get emotional at all. If the coach can't get fired up, how can he expect the players to? The majority of players look towards the senior players for guidence and motivation on the field and the senior players look towards the Head Coach. What excatly do Rivers and Co see when they look towards the sideline for inspiration? A F"ing Statue.

Norv is a glorified OC, he doesn't understand what a head coach is about. A head coach needs to be a manager and motivator of men. That aint Norv.

(2) Professional players that can't tackle, catch, hold-onto-the-ball etc... consistently over several games are obviously not well coached!

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well you dont know, perhaps I smoked a bowl and am higher than you.

Otherwise suck it up buttercup. If you dont like my wording too damn bad, I am not writing for approval I am writing how I feel. A bunch of the 'FANS' here need to wake up, if that fits you, then so be it.

24. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    What's the history of the best coaches in the league starting out like **** year in and year out? It wasn't long ago we were 8-8 and the way we're playing that's optimistic right now.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    1) Norv does get fired up on the side line and at practice. I saw him chew the azz off M80 his first year here. I have seen Norv chew azz on the sidelines. If you have not seen it, then you need to watch more. But to judge something never happens when you have soo little contact with the subject is asinine in my honest opinion.

2) So Tiki Barber was ill coached when he fumbled, even though his coach taught him how to stop, and he turned into (the loast 3 years of his career) one of the least fumbling RBs.... Gotcha... Dont agree.

26. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    truth

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Focus on the facts not group think. Thanks MOP.

28. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    When this season is over...you'll be asking for Norvs head...mark my words.

Its just a few of us are a head of the curve...thats all. lol

P.S Thanks for calling me Asinine BTW

29. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    does calling me "buttercup" constitute an unprovoked personal attack on a fellow poster? :icon_tease:

30. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    sorry to disagree but Vince Lombardi got his players prepared to play and win. Standing around on the sidelines ;looking uninvolved like Norv does is JUST WHAT HIS PLAYERS DO DURING THE GAMES. They stand around and actually appear bored to death on the sidelines. His players are a direct reflection of his attitude and philosophy.

A WINNING coach must do more than prepare his team with X's and O's. Any nerd dofus can stand up and draw fancy plays on the drawing board.... that's what an offensive coordinator does. A HEAD COACH runs the show and leads his team as the field general. He motivates them and fires them up. Norv can't/won't do this for his players and it shows on the field every fricking Sunday.

Sorry to the Norv lovers out there- but Norv is not my idea of an NFL coach. Other than his keen Offensive mind he brings no other qualities to the job. He will never be in the Parcells, Dungy, Lombardi, Madden category... he falls way short. I was in the Navy for 21 years and am basing my observations on that. All the pencil pushing "yes-men" I've worked for never motivated me or anyone else and they were terrible leaders... they were just like little Norv's. They didn't get good results and they weren't respected by anyone. ... just like Norv.

Until Norv actually wins some championship hardware I'll stick to my opinion. He was handed the keys to a Ferrari and he drove the damned car into the ditch.