1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Waters eager to get into the flow

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, May 12, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Waters eager to get into the flow - NC Times

2. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think it's more about him getting fully healthy and gaining complete confidence back in his knee. Maybe we'll see flashes in '07, but in '08 - WATCH OUT !!!

3. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I saw his one of highlight vids, it appears he hits a little too high, but each collision was violent. He certainly has the size to mash at the point of attack, but how is he in coverage? Who should be looking over their shoulder Wilhelm or Cooper? Both are armed with new extensions. With Waters, Dobbins and Siler in the fold shouldn't we expect someone to be headed to OLB?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    IMO, Cooper is the one who needs to be watching over his shoulder.

Physically, Waters looks like a Foley clone. He also has pass rush abilities. While I think he will be a huge force at ILB for SD, it seems he also has the makeup to play OLB in this defense.

Quality depth is important, as we saw when Foley went down and Phillips stepped up. We also saw that the Chargers were treading thin on LB depth when Merriman had his suspension, and when both 56 and 95 got knicked up in the playoff game.

The next couple of years are going to be VERY competitve at the LB spots.

5. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    AJ said the same thing after drafting Dobbins last year, another guy who has a say in what goes on at ILB.

6. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Fortunately, that is coachable and a technique issue. With Ron Rivera, he should help them out tremendously to get squared up and use his legs to drive through the player's sweet spot.

8. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Fortunate indeed. The guy definitely looks the part, and his clips certainly showed a nasty disposition. I would love for the Chargers to have a D that strikes fear in opponents.

9. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

I totally agree.

I think Wilhelm not playing much had more to do with Marty than with Wilhelm's talents. We'll find out for sure in a couple months.

10. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    leisure and I have watched this guy for hours because we gamble on Clemson a lot. Normally you think of only those 225 pound Tampa 2 cover linebackers to be "sideline to sideline players" but Waters has that incredible range and what makes him a rare athlete is the size at which he can play with that agility (240-245). He is an elite athlete and has great instincts and can cover. He is basically a buffed up cover 2 linebacker, hanest.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The guy was dumb enough to get arrested for a dui and the worst part is his chick following him stopped as well and was popped for dui. 2 fer 1. I am not sold seeing Wilhelm in pass coverage - yet.

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Besides his range and agility, he reminds me of Merriman in the sense that people tend to recoil when he hits them. That seems to be a talent that can't be taught...violence.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    the chargers defensive staff weren't the only ones yelling when AJ picked him...

Whitehurst said it best:
    "He is a heck of a football player and a man in the middle,'' Whitehurst said. "He has a physical presence, and I think he will add something. He plays with a ton of emotion and intensity -- guys like to play with him.''

he'll be the starter next year, maybe sooner...

14. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I love LB's that play with bad intentions, and Waters is exactly that type of a player. This guy needs to get back to 100% physically, then there is going to be some serious competition going on at ILB.

15. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    waters and siler will be starters in a year or so i think

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Dobbins isn't exactly a physical slouch...

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The Chargers have what is most likely the best and the deepest linebacking corps in the entire league. Williams and Castillo are the best members of a prime front three and Olshansky is becoming another menace. Cromartie's sophomore presence and Weddle will improve the secondary, provided McCree is smart enough to do what he's told about his knee. Cotrell apparently has the player's confidence. The Blue Meanies are here. Be afraid. I'd like to see them throw the 52 together once in a while.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed and I was just thinking that as I was reading this thread. The dude is a short **** but he is an animal. He concussed his silly *** last year and is not a Donnie Edwards type of a puuusssy.

19. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Wilhelm has done great whenever he's played. Trumpie just has Donna-Envy or somethin' .....

20. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Agree. He has looked alright in pass coverage to me. Behind hin is a 2nd year player and rookies so i am sold with Wilhelm over those guys.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm guessing the chargers are figuring on it taking a year for waters and or siler to aclimate to the nfl. This draft was pretty much about the future unless a rookie steps up and really shows he's something. Which I have a feeling one or two might.