1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Waters Has Something To Prove.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, May 22, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Nice read about Waters. Share your thoughts.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I for one am WAY ready to see Waters being an impact player in our defense. Coop & Wilhelm did a good job last year, but I believe that a healthy Waters is gonna push one of them out of a starting role by mid-season at the latest. There are gonna be some opposing offensive players who get lit up by him this year.

Prove it, big guy, prove it. :tup:

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Cooper and Wilhelm were one of the worst ILB tandems in the league. Bring on Waters but it will be interesting to see if his football IQ has developed and he will be able to sniff out plays before they happen.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    They were part of an overall under performance in the first half of the the season, but once the team coalesced I think Wilhelm and Cooper came up to a pretty high standard. Waters is a real prospect, so is Siler and so is Tucker, but Wilhelm and Cooper ain't chopped liver. I suspect Waters will do in Wilhelm, but it's all theoretical at this point. That being said, I have the feeling that Matt is destined for a back up role. One thing-special teams play a key role. I have caught my share of kicks, but at the moment, if I was doing that now, personally, I might wear Depends if the Chargers were doing the kicking. I said this last year, and, but for key injuries, I might have enjoyed a bit more satisfaction, but I don't think the league appreciates what we have at the present time. Sports journalism, like the rest of our Fourth Estate, is behind the curve. I don't know who of you have read Tom Clancy, but I think we have the Cardinal of the Kremlin on our side. AJ. We have guys who are going to push the starters who got us to the AFC Championship game. Is there any other playoff team that has young guys who will push starters like us? The Chargers are the most logically constructed team I have seen since the mid seventies Steelers, the Montana era Niners and the Nineties Cowboys. The time frames are similar and the Patsies have become the Barry Bonds's of he NFL, if for different reasons. The Lombardi is ours to lose this year.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sez the 'Niners' fan. :icon_tease:

Were they the best in the league? No. Did the entire defense get off to a rough start under Teddy? Yes. But Coop & Wilhelm did a pretty good job as 1st year starters under a new DC.

Waters, I hope, will bring a much more physical presence to the inside, a la Foley.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Why Wilhelm? Waters is practicing at SILB.

SILB = Mike (Cooper)
    WILB = Mo (Wilhelm)
    SOLB = Sam (Merriman)
    WOLB = Will (Phillips)

We all thought Waters was a WILB, but he's practicing at Cooper's SILB spot, the "Mike" ...

Waters healthy, happy and ready to compete - Chargers.com - 5/20/08

7. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I think more of Cooper than I do Wilhelm. I wouldn't think the positions would be all that different in our alignment. We'll have to see if they try him at more than one slot.

8. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Sorry but I warned AJ to promote a glass eater like Greg Manusky to head coach and nobody listened and what's worse is that San Francisco snatched him away right before the Morty ordeal and then we couldn't even promote him to DC. Manusky would have made LaDainian play against NE and if he hadn't he would have roasted him via press conference like he should have been. Manusky made outstanding calls for the 49ers defense last year the problem was that their defensive line was getting bulldozed on every play. He shows signs of being a defensive genius.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Aw ****, here we go with the LT bashing again. :tdown:

Like you have your mouth to AJ's ear. :lol:

How does it feel to carry all of that ego around 24/7? :icon_tease:

10. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm sure roasting LT in public would be really great for the team and their morale. :no:

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    LT stands for Lawrence Taylor.

12. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Great. Let's end LT's career playing somebody physically incapable of performing in a futile attempt at false bravado and risking him to truly catastrophic harm. As I have stated before, my master's thesis dealt in part with the consequences of forcing the injured to play. The whole idea is mind numbingly stupid.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Yeah, because a nickname can never, ever be used more than once. Just ask Sugar Ray Leonard.

14. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Yeah, and Stan the Man. Ask him, too. :icon_toast:

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

I can't. I don't exist to him any more. :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :tup: