1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Waters hopes to make his mark this year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Anthony Waters article. Thought?

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Waters was a force in college. Hopefully he can return to form. I'd love to see him make the type of recovery & impact that Cro has made. :tup:

My prediction? Someone on the inside is going to lose their starting job to this kid by mid-season.

3. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I know that one says NCTimes, but I swear I recently read the same article with Casey's moniker on it... Quotes and all are virtually identical if memory serves... :icon_twisted:

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I love our depth at ILB, but Waters is the only one that has star potential. He plays nasty, he's a leader, and I can't wait until the preseason starts so that we get a look at where this guy is at in his development.

5. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Given Waters, we are pretty well as set at linebacker (period) - if one only considers starters there might be grounds for argument, but I can't think of another team with this kind of LB talent, across the board, that goes all the way down to the 3rd string.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    How many 'backers will we carry this year?

Merriman
    Phillips
    Cooper
    Wilhelm
    Waters
    Smith
    Siler
    Polk
    Dobbins
    Harris

Am I missing anyone? :icon_huh:

Seems like someone might be the odd man out.

7. BleedBLUE&GOLD

BleedBLUE&GOLD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Jyles Tucker

Yeah, I think Dobbins will be expendable, and possibly Smith (if Waters' proves to be ready and illustrates his start potential).

8. matt1187

matt1187 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Tucker too. I'm afraid Dobbins or Polk might be the odd man out.

9. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    ... Waters hopes to make his mark...

I have no doubts he'll leave a mark on someone... :foley53:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I agree. For several years now I have thought that Carlos Polk would be gone - but that guy is incredibly versatile, has played all LB positions and KNOWS this defense cold...

Good problem to have. :yes:

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Tucker was missing from the original post. Polk is an odd man out, but he is both savvy and smart. He simply can't stay healthy. Like Neal, Polk has future as a coach. Dobbins is a special teams stud and along with Tucker is a possible edge rusher. It's a tough decision, but I'm beginning to think that Harris is trade bait. Maybe as much as a fifth to some teams that start out thin at Linebacker and get thinner from injuries. Such a trade would give him a chance to play.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, my bad on missing Tucker. He makes the squad, IMO. Think Shaun in the making. Very quick.

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    If hes good enough to win a starting spot, this will be the best defense in football.
    Wilhem and Cooper are both very good starters, and would be hard to upgrade from, but if he can do it :icon_eek:

14. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    At the very least, we have some amazing depth. Harris, Siler, Waters and Tucker could start on a lot of teams. Smith has been a starter. If Tucker gets the start ahead of Smith, there will be hell to pay on the other side of the ball.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i have visions of a blitz against the Patriots where Brady somehow gets out of Merriman's grasp to have Waters run right over him.

Sigh.....almost as good as dreaming about kim kardashian :flag:

16. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    They dont even play the same position

17. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I guess you meant Waters? Tuck is an OLB...

18. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Tim Dobbins will be the one who is out. Out of all the LBs he is the least talented on that list. Polk is old, but he knows the defense and can play multiple positions.

We don't keep players on just for Special teams. Osgood stays on because he is a pro-bowler and goes well with the community and locker room. Dobbins is above average at special teams and below average at LB. He can hit hard but doesn't have the ability to shift, no hips, bad hands, poor vision, and does have the head for the games as our other LBs.

Waters will be in and out with Cooper. Matt will be in more for passing plays. I see the Chargers using more than one start on each depending on the game and having some fill in when they get tired.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Asside from Waters....thats debatible. SOME teams ill agree, but a lot?

Nobody picked up Tucker from our PS

20. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I thought Tucker was tried at both inside and outside. I seem running a blitz or two from the outside. Then again it could be old timer's disease.

21. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    That was before we got a good look at him on the field a few times. He saw limited action, but he looked awesome when he was out there. Nobody will make that mistake a second time, but I doubt they'll get the chance. He'll be on the regular roster.

22. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Better....You have a chance of seeing Brady eat it.

23. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    He played one game ...and did well but to assume he could start on a lot of other teams is a bit of a homer comment at this stage. You have to remember he went undrafted and then didnt get picked off our PS. Not to say he cant be a gem... he can but he has to show more still.

I like him too but what he brings remains to be seen. And i believe he was playing only as a OLB last season and should continue that this season.

24. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Must be old timer's disease. Either that or the Vodka tonics and Cognac.

Yes, I am proud to be a homer since I went to their first game. :flag:

25. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    What struck me about this article was Waters' character. It seems like he's a good, quality character type guy who will work hard and do what's asked of him. Another fine pick by AJ..... adding to an already fine cast of chemistry among players.

I just hope Teddy boy lets the horses loose. There's too much talent here to sit back and just wait for the offense to come to them.

26. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Waters for NFL Defensive MVP!!!

• Like Like x 1
  27. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    it speaks volumes that his teamates at Clemson selected him team captain during his injury season...

...semi-related, here's an interesting piece...

http://sdg.scout.com/2/763096.html

43.) Anthony Waters (6'3", 238 pounds) enters his second season in the NFL, although last year amounted to a red-shirt season. He sat for the majority of his senior year at Clemson after suffering a potentially career-ending knee injury. He was part-way through his rehabilitation when the Chargers decided to take a chance on him in the third round. The move could pay immediate dividends, as Waters has a chance to start at the beginning of the season while Stephen Cooper serves a four-game suspension....

come on training camp... I think he will be starting... in place of Wilhelm....

28. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    It is going to be SO nice having a big nasty thumper in the middle. If Jamal stays healthy, look out...

29. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    and a FAST big nasty thumper at that... he looked great at mini in the passing drills.... I expect we'll see a few "Jacked Up" auditions from him.... :lol:

30. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

Polk is smart. He'll either be in TV/radio, or a coach. As Dave said, it has looked like Polk was borderline for many years, but he's stayed around, and even improved his game. He also can play all four LB spots in this defense. He is on every ST's unit, just not the "flashy" punt gunner.

Like any player who is primarily a ST's guy, he's replaceable. Every year Polk looks to be the odd man out in the LB corps. Is this finally the year?

Oh ... I doubt we'll see Neal as a coach. He's got enough business interests to make money that he doesn't need those hours. I could see him doing some TV though.