1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Waters Plans to Pull a Cromartie

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    By Michael Lombardo
    SDBoltReport.com

Anthony Waters plans to take the Antonio Cromartie path to stardom. Cromartie had an unspectacular rookie season as he fought through the lingering effects of an ACL injury, only to bounce back in his second year and intercept 12 passes in his final 14 games. Waters was forced to redshirt his rookie season in San Diego, but hopes to make a Cromartie-like impact in 2008.

Anthony Waters would have been a first-round pick if not for the ACL injury that wiped out his final season at Clemson. As a junior, he was an honorable mention All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection after leading his team with 109 tackles and pacing the ACC with 74 solo stops.

The Chargers tabbed Waters in the third round with the No. 96 selection in the 2007 draft. Waters never escaped the inactive list as a rookie, although he could have played if needed. He was healthy enough to log heavy minutes in the preseason finale, when he led the team with eight tackles.

Norv Turner & Co. decided to take the cautious route with Waters, a luxury the team could afford because of the solid depth provided by Tim Dobbins and Brandon Siler. Rather than sulk about not playing, Waters was grateful for the coaching staff’s foresight.

“I’m just thankful that my coaches here with the Chargers think more of me than to just throw me out there,” Waters said. “They want to make sure that everything is OK with my knee before they do anything with me. I’m just thankful for that.”

Waters has the skills to make that patience pay off in 2008. He is blessed with incredible athleticism that has drawn comparisons to Shawne Merriman. As a run stopper, Waters has the size (6-foot-3, 238 pounds) and aggressive demeanor to be an enforcer. Against the pass, he has the instincts to drop into zone coverage and the burst to net multiple sacks.

It will help that Waters has a friend in the locker room who is preparing to make a similar move up the depth chart, as Charlie Whitehurst and Waters were teammates at Clemson. Whitehurst will take over as the No. 2 quarterback once Billy Volek leaves in free agency. In fact, Whitehurst will run first-string for most of the offseason as Philip Rivers recovers from knee surgery.

“Charlie and I had a good relationship at Clemson and that just continued when I got (to San Diego),” Waters said. “We get together and hang out every now and then. We have a friendship that will last for a lifetime.”

Waters is used to overcoming long odds. In December 2006, he became the first member of his family to graduate college. In April 2007, he achieved his goal of being taken on the first day of the draft despite being only eight months removed from ACL surgery.

In 2008, he hopes to overcome long odds once again. He hopes to become an impact player on defense and special teams. He hopes to become the next Antonio Cromartie.

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    thanx Thumper.... can't wait for "my boy" to laid the wood next year...

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Another potential under-the-radar star we can unveil next year, and everyone around the league will be like, "where the hell did that guy come from?" It will be like having a second first-round pick in the draft this year.

Also... I think it was a very wise decision not to play Waters much this year. It would've been nice for him to enter next year with some more experience, but having a 100% healthy knee will be much more important in the long-run.

I love the way this organization does things now. The front-office shows patience and discipline in a business where the paying customers have neither.

I'm also happy that Waters has the right attitude about it. The dude's a beast, but also seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders.

4. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    That's good news. I like this kid. He's got high expectations if he wants to emulate what Cro did, but if he does, his jersey will find it's way into the collection and he'll find himself on a plain to hawaii:yes:

After winning the superbowl that is.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    hard to say what to make of this guy til we really see him out there
    he has the right attitude at least and wants to do the best he can

6. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...You gotta love his attitude for sure. I hope Siler pans out too!

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

You called this one SDR

I think we're going to see a defense unlike any other in 2008

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

8. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    AWatt can do it for sure, I was hoping to see more of him this year, I see him and Coop in the middle, that's what I'd like to see anyhow.

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I agree I would love to have him and Coop to eventually become our ILBs. Unless Wilhelm steps up his game he could get passed up by Waters next season. Kind of like what we were saying in regards to Florence and Cromartie.

10. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Couldnt believe we drafted Waters last year. The guy is such a baller that i didnt think that he would fall to the that far even with the injury

The only "Problem" is that we dont have any openings for him to take. I know people dont have as high of an opinion of Wilhelm as I do, but the guy is a baller and our defense really improved when he came in and is still very young and is signed long term

11. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Hate to use the cliche', but it's a great problem to have. I also think Wilhelm is a very solid player who will only get better. Cooper is all over the place and he will continue to improve. But we've seen injuries and I'd much rather have a young stud like Waters to bring in who can wreak some havoc than some guy who's just serviceable. And we do need depth at MLB, so to me it's not a problem at all. And if Waters is that good that he can outplay Wilhelm for a starting spot, so be it.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The competition between the two will make both better ball players and strengthen the team. He might make Polk the odd man out here, or maybe Dobbins if he doesn't come up a level. I would prefer to keep Dobbins over Polk because of his youth and upside.

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    There is a reason i used quotes for "problem", its not a bad problem to have at all

Personally i love our LB core all around and think we are set for the next 5 years (AT LEAST), at both OLB and ILB

14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Think of how it might improve our special-teams too. Dude's perfectly built to be a special-teams demon.

15. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Waters has the Team Attitude all for one and one for all!! Remember his name.:yes:

16. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    ... they gave him the appropriate number... :yes:

... he'll be better...

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

shiit, seems like soooo long ago.

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

I hope you're right. One thing for sure, our special teams should continue to be dominate.

:icon_toast::tup::tup::tup:

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    he's been your boy since the beginning :yes:

19. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    him and Siler will be fighting it out over Matts spot in camp i think! woot woot

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Waters was a beast at Clemson, sure hope that he can step it up next season when he's fully recovered. Some mocks have us taking Dan Conner with our first, but I just don't see that need.

Fat is where it's at!!! :lol:

21. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    hell ya!!! So much love for MY boy. He will be SD's version of Ray Lewis, but w/out da murder charges. He will be a leader on this D' in a few years. Once Ray-Ray and Zack Thomas are gone for good, Coop and Waters will be Bowlin' in Hawaii for years to come.

Even if none of that happens, I suspect he'll be a solid contributor and an injury away from starting this coming year, while taking the reins the year after. He is a great character guy who was the leader of Clemson's D in college, and fierce as hell.

But the article says he's under 240? I thought he was over 250, or at least he looks like he is. He really does look like Steve Foley reincarnated, and that fool was 260+. Either way, with Dobbins, Siler, and Waters, along with Wilhelm and Cooper, why da hell would we draft a 1st day ILB? And with Merriman, Shaun Phillips, Jyles Tucker, and maybe Marques Harris at OLB, why would we draft a LB at all? Plus, there's Carlos Polk and Antwan Applewhite if we needed more depth.

Anyway 2008 is Waters' year.