1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wayne Nunnely to Broncos?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Burley, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Burley

Burley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Is it confirmed that Nunnely, after 12 seasons, resigned to coach the Broncos Defensive Line? I wonder why he would turn down a a new contract offer from The Chargers and immediately afterwards accept on offer from the Broncos. This rivalry is really getting personal...

If the Broncos are going to learn how to play the 3-4 defense, they better get some coaches who can teach it.

Wayne Nunnely can not only coach the 3-4, he guided the vaunted defensive line of the rival San Diego Chargers for the past 12 years.

In what has to be considered an AFC West coaching coup, the Broncos signed Nunnely to a two-year contract Tuesday to become their new defensive line coach.

"It's a change that I felt I needed to do at this stage of my career," said Nunnely, 56. "I've had a great 12 years here with the Chargers through three or four different head coaches and a number of coordinators and I just felt like I needed a new challenge, a new environment."

After coaching such natural 3-4 linemen as noseguard Jamal Williams, tackle Luis Castillo and end Igor Olshansky with the Chargers in recent years, Nunnely's challenge with the Broncos will be to both find new D-line personal, and teach alternate techniques to existing players who are accustomed to playing in the 4-3 defense.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11500402

• Like Like x 1
  2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Where did you read he turned down a contract offer? I thought he left because the Chargers chose not to extend his contract in order to bring in more of Rivera's friends from Chitown?

3. Burley

Burley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm lookin...I can't find where I read it , but I did. I will keep looking.

4. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
  5. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Nunnely just turned traiter, he turned down our offer, its personal or its money, either way the quick signing with Denver gives it away. It might be that Ron Rivera guys coming in so quick they might of low balled him on the offer. but he knows our D so we better make some changes

6. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
  7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I say bollix. Looking for a change!?.... How is 4 different head coaches and many different coordinators not change?. Something fishy about this one methinks. He and Jamal were tight too. Strange move imho.

8. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Conspiracy theories aside, I think Norv figured Rivera is the man to run our D and is giving him carte blanche to do so. RR probably didn't want any holdovers from Teddy and wanted his own stamp on the defense. Same principle in businesses when there is a regime change at the top. I think the change will be good and Wayne might realize he had it good in SD. That will be to our benefit.

9. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Judging by last year's stats...lots of people knew our defense :tdown: