1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

we dont live in a society where we have to give cart-blanch that they can do no wrong

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargerslondon2008, Apr 28, 2008.

1. chargerslondon2008

chargerslondon2008 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    IMHO We should have traded next years 2nd round pick and this years 5th round pick to trade up in the first round to get a starting right tackle for 2008 instead of for a role player (Jacob Hester).

Not everything Aj touches turns to gold. Do you honestly think Aj would have spent a fourth round pick on Paul Oliver last year if he knew he would end up being buried on the depth chart at safety? Aj thought he was drafting Drayton Florence's replacement.

Flame away @ the newb.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    we dont live in a society where we have to give cart-blanch that they can do no w

Obviously AJ didn't see an OL out there worth drafting until round seven.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    we dont live in a society where we have to give cart-blanch that they can do no w

YUP!

AJ is building a team that he EXPECTS to get low (as in lower round draft picks like 25th or greater, because his team does well consistently) draft picks. That is why he pulls the trigger to get the players he wants when he wants them.

Wait and see on Oliver, I am sure AJ has found another diamond in the rough, the way he did with Cromartie. AJ has earned the benifit of the doubt IMO. Wait and see Bolt faitful, wait and see!:yes:

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579

I'll sit and wait for AJ to make all of you Chicken Little's look silly. Again.

Business as usual at Chargers Park.

Welcome to the forum.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746

carte blanche

learn to french :lol:

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976

San Diego chicken wings all around!:lol:

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976

Dont be a franch notci!

8. chargerslondon2008

Ratings:
    +5

If Jacob Hester has a Kevin Faulk type impact on the Chargers I will gladly eat my crow. At the moment i'm scratching my head why the Chargers gave up a late second round and late fifth round draft pick for a role player.

9. chargerslondon2008

Ratings:
    +5

Reading between the lines if Aj loved Oliver he wouldn't have spent a first round pick on a CB.

IMHO Oliver will be JUST A GUY in the NFL.

10. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

They traded the 60th-ish pick next year and the 160th pick this year for the 69th pick this year. Not like that wasn't an equitable trade.

Believe it or not, role players was all we were getting in this draft. Maybe down the road they evolve into starters but if you thought that any draft pick this season was going to crack the starting line up than you must have been hitting hornblower's pipe.

To give up a pick in the bottom of the 2009 2nd round to pick up a pick in the top of the 3rd round of the 2008 draft when there is a player still on the board that you covet is a smart move.

Just because you don't like Hester because he didn't make the All Shorts team at the combine this year doesn't make this a bad move. The fact is that this kid is a WARRIOR and I would wager that he will be one of the most popular players with Bolt fans by the end of the season.

11. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579

Norv stated that AT MOST we have 6 roster spots available. That's not alot of wiggle room. "Role players" are the spots that are available. AJ is looking to provide Norv with dynamic weapons, and he succeeded this weekend with Hester.

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

Last time I checked we lost two DB's this off season and picked up two in the draft. Oliver even though he didn't play, was on the active roster all season long, so it sounds like a wash as far as headcount is concerned.

Using your logic, if AJ believed in Rivers he would never have burned a first day pick on Whitehurst.

Afterall, you can have as many a 4 CB's on the field at once but you only have 1 QB.

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467

[​IMG]

14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467

[​IMG]

15. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86

welcome to bolttalk where newbs opinions like yours mean nothing LOL, jk come on man besides Long and Albert any other OL could have gone anywhere from 2nd to 7th round and when LT leads the NFL IN RUSHING behind that line with Clary at RT who is already comfortable you dont make a switch, one thing you must never do my son is DOUBT AJ SMITH

16. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494

I didn't even pay attention to the draft this year :icon_eek:

17. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

I love this pick, and I’ve never been afraid of bagging on AJ’s moves if I don’t like them (see my many posts disparaging Paul Oliver). :lol:

We had a gaping hole in our RB corps. Pinnock’s microfracture procedure could be career-threatening, MT is gone, and LT is rehabbing his knee.

Hester is the only guy in this entire draft who could replace all three of those guys if called upon. He gives us roster flexibility, for now and in the future. Great move by AJ Smith.

18. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86

exactly, and he fills the hole of Neal and Turner at the same time, just watch this kid play and everyone is goign to fall in love with him, he is a football player and will contribute right away

19. chargerslondon2008

Ratings:
    +5

I thought the Chargers would get a replacement in round one for either RT (Clary) or CB (Florence). I consider the dime to be a HUGE role in todays NFL with the Pats and Colts. check. I liked the pick.

I expected the Chargers to get role players in the later rounds (fifth onwards). ie a backup RB and FB.

I didn't expect the Chargers to trade next years two to get a role player. Next years two could have been a starter at a need position. ie OT or G.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

I see Hester as the kind of kid who will work his *** off, get better quickly through the benefits of being coached & surrounded by professionals, be a quality guy in the locker room & community, & play selfless football. I can see him being a Charger for a long, long time. :tup:

When you look at the value charts (which I discount to a large degree - if you want a particular guy, go & get him), we didn't give up much at all. Some folks are more butt-hurt that we dealt with the Pats than anything else, IMO. Screw that. You need to build your team to defeat anyone in the way, regardless of what they do with their lineup.

21. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635

Maybe Hester doesn't pan out, but with AJ's track record on drafts I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this and every other draft pick.

BTW the Chargers lost two DB in the offseason, they picked up two in the draft, also, they lost two back field players and they picked up two in the draft, if you look at it that way it wasn't that surprising

22. chargerslondon2008

Ratings:
    +5

IMHO Whitehurst was a burnt pick. I don't mind taking a flier on a QB in the sixth or seventh round if you already have a franchise QB, but i don't like taking one in round three.

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

I saw AJ checkin out yer resume jes yestiddy...y'all should be gettin that call anytime now, jes in timeta axt yer opinion on UDFAs :rolleyes2: :icon_rofl:

24. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219

It's not that I think that AJ can "do no wrong". It's that he's got an awful lot of "wrongs" to do before I stop trusting his judgement.

These are the AJ Chargers. Years, even decades from now, we'll remember this as the "AJ Era". Not the Marty Era. Not even the LT or Philip Rivers Era, except when in context. We'll remember this time as those years when AJ took a last place team and turned it into a Superbowl (hopefully multi-Superbowl) Champion.

For this to happen every year - EVERY FREAKING YEAR - is hilarious. The man has proven himself more than anyone I've seen in any front office save perhaps Bill Polian and Scott Pioli. He turned ridicule into stunned silence when he made the Mannings eat dirt, then turned a crybaby into a franchise-saving trade.

Then this year, he turns what looks to be an unexciting draft for us into a potential shutdown nickel corner (basically a starter on defense) and a versatile RB/FB (who is basically a starter on offense). Let me say that again. In a draft where we had all of five draft picks, where we picked late in the round, and with a basically stacked roster, AJ found two guys who will essentially START, THIS COMING YEAR. What kind of ridiculous **** is that, you may ask?

AJ, I'll reply.

He's the ****.

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

Good ****, Wabbit!! :tup: :icon_toast: :icon_rofl: :flag: :bolt:

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I think AJ did good with what drafts we had.
    Though I do think offensive line was our biggest need but at least he covered all the areas we needed. Wasn't Hardwick a fourth rounder?

27. chargerslondon2008

Ratings:
    +5

I like Aj's drafting, I just hated this pick. AJ traded a late second round pick and a late fifth round pick for a player with a fourth round grade. Every GM misses on draft picks. Cough SAMMY DAVIS.

28. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219

So you think AJ missed on Jacob Hester.

I'll tell you this - I think Jacob Hester will wind up being one of the gems of this draft. His pick completes Norv's offensive arsenal.

Wait and see.

29. chargerslondon2008

Ratings:
    +5

I don't think he was worth what we gave up for him.

He has to have a Kevin Faulk impact on the chargers by converting third and fourth downs running and catching the football in key spots for years to come to live up to the trade for me.

30. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I like my Wings Buffalo style

:lol: