1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

We have $33 million to spend next season!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mandude, Dec 10, 2007.

1. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    2. San Diego 44 $33.03 million

Seems like a lot of space to get some great players in the offseason, and sign our man Merriemen, no?

saw this on SI, in Peter King's Monday Morning QB.

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Another reason why AJ is the man!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/09/week14/4.html

Stat of the Week

So you want to know how active your team will be with a good free-agency market coming up in three months? Here's a chart of how much cap space each team was due to have next spring as of Saturday, along with how many players each team has under contract:
    Team Signed Players 2008 cap room
    1. Tennessee 39 $40.85 million
    2. San Diego 44 $33.03 million
    3. Jacksonville 43 $32.69 million
    4. Buffalo 49 $32.05 million
    5. New Orleans 39 $31.69 million
    6. Cincinnati 48 $31.45 million
    7. San Francisco 48 $30.91 million
    8. Cleveland 42 $30.31 million
    9. Arizona 34 $30.27 million
    10.N.Y. Jets 45 $27.72 million
    11.Oakland 40 $25.98 million
    12.Tampa Bay 48 $25.90 million
    13.Miami 48 $25.56 million
    14.N.Y. Giants 49 $24.47 million
    15.Detroit 42 $23.50 million
    16.Houston 43 $22.91 million
    17.Dallas 40 $20.61 million
    18.Kansas City 44 $20.27 million
    19.Chicago 52 $19.80 million
    20.Pittsburgh 43 $18.61 million
    21.Green Bay 48 $18.37 million
    22.Philadelphia 49 $17.17 million
    23.Denver 49 $16.77 million
    24.Minnesota 49 $14.88 million
    25.New England 41 $10.93 million
    26.St. Louis 45 $9.61 million
    27.Seattle 44 $9.55 million
    28.Indianapolis 48 $8.49 million
    29.Carolina 35 $6.05 million
    30.Atlanta 52 $5.79 million*
    31.Baltimore 42 $5.00 million
    32.Washington 45 -$20.72 million
    * Not including unspecified potential rebate from contested return of Michael Vick's pro-rated signing bonus.

And yes, you read it right. The Washington Redskins are $20 million over the projected '08 cap, a number that will be reduced once the 'Skins convert some bonuses assigned to the '08 cap (including a hefty one paid to tight end Chris Cooley) to signing bonuses, which can be pro-rated over the life of the contract.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Wow that's good. With all the backloaded extensions we've been handing out over the last couple seasons we're going to need as much of that $$ as possible for the next 4 years or so. I'm expecting us to do what we usually do and not make any big waves in free agency. We'll pick up a couple under the radar guys that will play above expectation, and that's probably about it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    time to lock up as many of our good players with contracts coming up. Mcneil and merriman ,Igor, castillo, ect.

I wonder what they're gonna do with olivea now. I hope they at least try and see what he can do at guard. Were gonna need another good o-tackle next year.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The biggest piece of the salary cap pie was left out.

RIVERS.

He signed a 6 year contract.

AJ should get Rivers to sign an extension NOW so that we can get him cheap since his play can not command top dollar yet. I would sign his asss before he wins a Super Bowl because after that, Rivers will get greedy and so will his agent.

6. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

Agree, also who are the players who are not signed, that will hit FA

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

DFlo comes to mind.

Then after next year, we have an Option in Voleks contract to exercise but we own him next year as well.

After that, I can not think of anyone worthy or pressing.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bdave/id24.html

This is a link I use for reference. You may want to go through this if you have the patience and sift out who is coming up for contractural renewals.

9. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Then that's not bad, I mean Rivers and I assume we will try to reup Merriman. What about Shaun Phillips and Castillo when are they due up. Also I'd try McNeil get him cheap and hope this was just a slump:yes: We maybe able to go to FA and get a Safety to help Weddle.

I'm not a Sanders fan, the guy can ball but is hurt to much for my liking

10. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Thanks....

11. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Looks like those two teams at the top could be dangerous next season:tup:!

12. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Yeah, if one of them will trade their head coach to the other one :yes:

:lol:

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Yep, and Rivers. MIght be a good idea to sign cromartie to a long term deal now as well. Gonna cost alot to keep all those guys. But i think they can do it. The salary cap will keep going up thankgod. I hope they can get most of those guys signed to long term contracts this year. CAuse every year the price tag goes up.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Heard you on the podcast :tup:

Your team schooled my team for 3 1/2 quarters. I had the surround sound system going as I always do and I had never heard that amount of thumping coming out of the bass unit - ever.

Fat Albert is a god damnnn nightmare and I am not sure if there is a lineman alive that could have stopped that dude. Jesus christ.

Your defense was gassed at the end but they put a thorough assswhoopin on our line all day long. That was humbling and I did not need to be humbled about our lines as I know we suck and know we get by because of what LT brings.

You guys were not really on my radar as a team that could bring that amount of heat and holy crap that was a game you dudes could have won very easily.

A WR and maybe a TE and you guys are close to dominating.

15. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    If Rivers and McNeil have decent agents, they will probably not sign until next year when hopefully they are over their slumps and command more money. I'd say do Merriman and Olshansky this year - they've earned it. I don't know if Castillo is worth it unless he upgrades those porcelain ankles. AJ needs to load up the front end of this year's new contracts so we have $33 million in 2009, too.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes: :yes:

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You're pretty spot-on there, Trumpie, but could you take your nose out of TF24's butt? :icon_tease: :icon_banana:

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The truth hurts doesn't it? :lol:

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Michael Turner. Cro. Chambers. Merriman. All these guys should be locked up ASAP. With that much under the cap, then Turner becomes an excellent option for a long term deal. Norval might actually use both LT and MT in the same backfield then.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Turner's gone especially considering how little he's been used, he's ready to be a full time player and play where a coach doesn't forget about him like Norv Turner has.

We do have alot of cap space but still gotta resign Merriman, Igor's coming up, McNeil has two more years left on his, Rivers and whatnot. But by the same token I think there's enough room for an impact player left (and I keep pushing for Bob Sanders)

21. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Even with that cap room, i dont expect any major FA, most of that will go to re-signing our own

22. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

Which is what we should do! I believe we should do what we normally do and not make any big splashes in FA build through the draft and draft Brandon Flowers if he makes himself available Junior (S) Virginia Tech!

23. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Great news that we have that much money, I think we should first and foremost get the talent we have locked in a little longer, having the ends to go after Bob Sanders is sweet and I would love to see us make a run at him... All in all we are good and the money we have will be icing on the cake.

The TITans on the other hand have icing and no cake, lol, good luck it will take that squad way more than 40.85 million to get them even close to passing up JAX or IND, Young is talented but not going to amount to much, he is lucky Merriman pulled back and didn't put him to sleep, a little touch of class...

Same can't be said for the filthy play, going after Rivers after he threw the ball... Screw the TITans, use your money to put some more faggity little houses around your stadium, lol almost as bad as the hayseed hillbilly band KC has playing at their home games...

Merriman is out but will be back for the playoffs have fun booing, and have ol' blockhead White, keep mocking us, we'll take the win, fatass was second tier in college, and will never be more than that in the NFL.

:bolt:

24. ESD Bolts

ESD Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    It probably wont happen but Id love to see AJ pick up Ed Reed since his contract will be over

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd love to get Flowers. But, again, he's a CB right now at Tech, not a safety. Safety would be a switch for him.

Here's the VT roster link:

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/

26. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Oooookkkkk!

Someone skipped the Hooked on Phonics cliff notes version. I'm Southern, and from the 'hood, and it even took me eight reads to somewhat comprehend that.

Number one, we basically own Jacksonville like a cheap suit. We split with them this year, primarily due to the Haynesworth injury, but as long as Jack The River is coaching them, I'll never take them that seriously. Garrard is having a career year, Freddy T is staying healthy, and their secondary has come together, yet, I promise you Indy would rather play them than us.

By the way, why would you really want Bob Sanders. He's a great player...................THE EIGHT GAMES THE SHRIMP PLAYS!! This season is the exception, not the norm for his durability. He's a sucker bet in this year's free agent market.

27. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Why wouldn't it take you a couple reads? Everything is hard to comprehend when you're face-deep in your sister hayseed.

You're on our site, I'm not on yours. Your old news man, I can't earn any stripes here, not interested: Enjoy your failed season.

As for Sanders; I'm all for making a run at him, but he will demand way too much money on the open market. Probably stay a Colt or become a Cowboy. We do need a safety upgrade.

Peace.

:wave:

28. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Let Castillo walk. On a dollar per games played basis he won't be worth it.

Besides Phillips probably wants him out of his damn house by now so he can start hookin up with the sistas.

29. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Isnt Flowers like 190lbs?
    Even if he could switch to S, i wouldnt want him

I want an enforcer back there to team with Weddle for the future.