1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

We need a really GREAT Punt/Kickoff Returner for 2011

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Sproles is done. He had his moment just like other punt/kickoff guys have had in a very small window with some success in their careers. Not everyone can be a Josh Cribbs, or Devin Hester, but we need someone like that who returns kicks, AND plays on special teams covering kicks. Not one of our starters, just a really good special teams guy. Sproles was good for 2007-2008, but has really tailed off, especially this season. Just sayin'

2. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    We need a LOT of things for 2011 if we want to be successful.

But I agree, a good returner is one of the thing we need.

3. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Clearly, Sproles has lost it, I hardly see the guy juke or cut any more he just runs full steam into the opposing players. Far too many other places to put that money and far too many guys that can do it as well as he now can. That cheddar would buy you a few linemen.

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Goody.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    ill settle for someone that can just catch the kickoff/punt and gain more than 2 or 3 yards.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He has been doing that for years. He just had better blocking in the past. Go back and look at his big returns, every single one he had a monster hole and was barely touched if at all

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Better get some manimals for this D first.

8. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    You know, I've seen some other teams play. Their return men sometimes cut to the outside and go down the sidelines for big gains. Maybe the little speedster ought to try that every once in a while.

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Hey, get off my little buddy's sack!

You all wait, he's going to win a game for us when we need it most!

All the way to the Super Bowl!!!

:D

:helm1:

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    It's a need but I'm not about to take a PR/KR over the more important needs at DE/OT/OLB/WR

Maybe we could consider using Curtis Brinkley, he did that a little in college

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Beef first then go with a special teams player.

12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    If he comes out, this is who we need!
    [​IMG]

Not only is he a great kick returner, but a very good WR who would fit in perfectly as our slot guy and would finally give us a real SPEED wide receiver, something Bust never did for us

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Every year about this time fans start to lose their minds.

Please - and I NEVER SAY PLEASE

PLEASE - THINK TRENCHES

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There are speed return type guys available late, just like Devin Hester who was a 7th rounder

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
  16. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    I seriously doubt anyone wants to use a HIGH pick on a KR/PR

BUT, we have all been screaming for beef for years, yet every year, your GAWD ignores it for Bling, so i think AJ would use a higher pick on a WR(CB)/KR before a great RT/DE

17. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    You sure about that?

18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    We need a WR or CB type to return kicks. Not a RB.

19. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    We will never get BEEF! AJ and his staff are Vegetarians.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'd just have one of the receivers do it namely Jackoffson.

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    So, sleeper picks (i.e. the late round/UDFA guys to watch for):
    CB Ryan Jones (Northwest Missouri; former Arkansas track sprinter), WR Edmund Gates (Abilene-Christian, aka the Returner School - see Bernard Scott, Johnny Knox), RB Derek Locke (Kentucky; a.k.a. Sproles the SEC version; though really he's ALOT like former SMU prospect Emmanuel Sanders who is currently returning kicks and punts for the Steelers)...

or we could just spend a late 2nd or 3rd on Rashad Carmichael (VA Tech) who has lethal potential as a returner and gunner (not to mention he's played on Tech's XP and FG blocking units as well... so all 5 ST squads) and also gives us a guy who could step in immediately as a dimeback, slot CB if something goes down with Strickland, and could be groomed behind Jammer for an edge CB spot. This would personally be my preference.

23. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Just say NO to VaTech DB's

24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Normally I'd agree, but comparably Carmichael has been the antithesis of 95% of the VaTech DB's who have been draft eligible over the past 5-7 years. Let's put it this way... he's far more Brandon Flowers or DeAngelo Hall (he's a headcase, but he's a really talented DB) than Macho Harris, Jimmy Williams, Aaron Rouse, or Pierson Prioleau. Really he reminds me a lot of Flowers because his work ethic is off the charts (something you couldn't say for Harris and Williams for sure).

25. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Um... aren't you the guy advocating Beef often and Beef early? Hankerson's going to cost a 2nd rounder when all is said and done (and he may not even stretch to one of our 2nd round picks depend on where our natural one is - I'm fairly safe in assuming right now that unless we meet the Jets in the playoffs ours will be before theirs)... and while he's kind of beefy for a WR, he's not going to play the trenches.

27. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    I wouldnt want Flowers either

28. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Yes, i want beef, but ive wanted that for a long time (although RB was been #1 need for the past 3 years), but i know AJ better than to believe he will use a 1st rounder on beef. In his 7 years here, hes draft 1 lineman in the 1st (glasstilo) and 1 in the 2nd (mcneill), and yet people think hes going to draft one this year?

AJ will not use a first on a RT no matter what he says (yeah im really sure he was really going to take Daune Brown over Cason a few years ago), and he is dead set on using scrub DEs that he picks up in late rounds. Im not a big fan of 3-4DEs in the 1st, but this year we might just have to do it since AJ cant seem to find mid-lower round guys (no more and Cam Thomas or Vaughn Martins ). I mean if it were up to me, i would of loved for us to have a real shot at Nick Fairley this year, but theres no way we have a shot at him anymore unless we go 0-4 the next 4 games, and even then i dont think AJ would draft a DE that high.

Hopefully AJ uses his head this year and uses our #1 on a DE (allen Bailey anyone??), our 1st #2 on a real RT, and then goes after his bling players.

I know its still early, but i would to see a draft that looked SOMETHING like this

1 - Allen Bailey - DE
    2 - Demarcus Love - OT
    2 - Greg Little/Hankerson - WR (obviously AJ would take hankerson over little)
    3 - DJ Williams - TE
    3 - Kai Forbath - **** YOU NATE! this is a REAL kicker!
    4 - Noel Devine - RB/KR
    7 - Best available player

29. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Bobby Bethard lives!! :p

30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Unfortunately AJ does not appreciate the "individual" talent from the "U". Hankerson will be the next NFL beast.

Next year this guy should be our main focus. Player Bio: Ray-Ray Armstrong - MIAMI OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

I would settle for this guy... http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/telemaque_vaughn00.html