1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

We need our draft to pan out like the 2007 NY Giants draft...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Basically, I'm just saying that we are in similar situations except that we were 13-3 last year and the Giants were 8-8 in 2006.

After the 2006 season, Tiki Barber retired from the Giants after a very productive season (1600 yards). That was also the year that Jeremy Shockey left. They also already had Plaxico Burress on the roster. They had a number of holes to fill and they did it primarily through a solid but unspectacular draft that year.....and the roster really clicked allowing them to get on a hot streak going into the playoffs to eventually upset the Pats in the SB. A quick look at their draft that year:

Aaron Ross DB- Starting CB, but I think he was hurt for quite a bit of that year.
    Steve Smith WR- Very solid WR who is now a pro-bowler as "the other" Steve Smith.
    Jay Alford DT- Key rotational guy in that line which helped keep their unit fresh.
    Zak DeOssie LB- Made the team, but was more of a ST contributor.
    Kevin Boss-Filled the shoes of Shockey nicely.
    Adam Koets T- Made the team as a reserve
    Michael Johnson DB- Started 5 games at FS and contributed
    Ahmad Bradshaw RB-- Valuable reserve RB who would become part of a 3 headed monster.

My point is that we don't have to have an epic draft with multiple superstars to make a push for the SB.....If most of our picks contribute as either starters or role players, it could really boost this already established roster to another level.

• Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Its alright, not great, nice steal in Bradshaw.

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    That's exactly right...we don't need "great"....we just need to not have a chiddy draft like WE did in 2007....which I seriously doubt will happen. Our draft class has the potential to be extremely good...especially if Ryan Mathews performs as we expect.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    What I kinda expect...

Mathews - Legit feature RB, capable of around 300 carries every year.
    Butler - By 2011 he'll start at one of our ILB positions.
    Stuckey - Solid reserve saftey/special teams stud.
    Thomas - Rotational NT, hopefully steps it up and plays with a chip on his shoulder, but I can see going after a better one next year.
    Crompton - #2 QB when Volek retires, maybe we can flip him for picks like Whitey.
    Epps - Cut, at best a PS guy.

5. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Shockey didn't leave the Giants that year, he broke his leg a few games before the end of the regular season, and was traded to New Orleans the following year - he has 2 SB rings, although he only played in 1 of the games.

The Giants weren't that hot down the stretch either, they lost 2 of their final 3 games and backed into the playoffs, before pulling off their "fluke"....

6. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    True about Shockey...I forgot about that...and I guess I should have said that the Giants got hot during the playoffs that year....specifically Eli Manning who was mediocre during the regular season and very good in the postseason.

Regardless, the Giants wouldn't have been in that position without a solid draft with several players who had an impact....Their draft definitely wasn't "great" but it was deep in terms of contributors....all the way down to their 7th rounder.

I'm hoping we get solid contributions out of at least our first 4 picks....Mathews is the obvious one...but we have a real chance to have solid players coming in at ILB, S and NT as well.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm not in favor of comparing us to the Gnats of 2007.

They surprised, they got lucky, they got it right at the right time.

One & done.

I like building something that's going to last like the Pitt, Dal, and to a lesser extent NE.

I think we're close

:tup:

8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Not comparing us to the Gnats of 2007...Just saying that they had a solid draft that helped them win the SB....and that we just need a solid enough draft to do the same. Some of you guys are missing the point. Some people on here feel like we NEED to have a spectactular draft with 4 dominant pro-bowl players to win in the playoffs....I don't see it that way.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I get what Boltergeist is saying and he's right.

And wrbanwal, the difference between the Giants and us is Eli and Rivers. :lol:

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Who are these impostors!! Ban them!!

:flag:

Ahh, Got it :lol:

11. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Let's not incourage banning, LOL...I'll be one of the first to go.

12. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I agree with all your takes for the most part...I'm thinking Stuckey may even have a chance to start....he's that good...trust me on that one. Sounds like Mathews will be getting around 220 or so carries...We're not going to load him up like we did LT in the early years.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Especially if we start banning for misspelling words like "encourage". :icon_tease:

[​IMG]

14. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Nice.....I'll chalk that one up to my less than stellar typing skills.