1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

We signed Burnett....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Someone else can post the link...saw it was official on SDUT.

At least we did something...I've been skimming a few of the Cowboys boards and aside from what appears to be the more casual fans commenting, he's pretty well regarded as an up and coming player who has the athleticism to have star potential if given the opportunity....The guy obviously has proven nothing substantial yet, but he has to be an upgrade over Wiffhelm, right?

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://chargers.com/news/headlines/lb-burnett-agrees.htm

With one move, the Chargers strengthened their defense and special teams Tuesday as linebacker Kevin Burnett, who spent the first four seasons of his NFL career with the Dallas Cowboys, agreed to terms on a two-year contract with San Diego.

“We’re excited to have the opportunity to add an outstanding football player to our team,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “Kevin has excelled in the kicking game throughout his career and has experience in a defensive system that is very similar to ours. We’re glad to have him aboard.”

Burnett (6-3, 242) met with Chargers officials last Wednesday and Thursday after visiting the Oakland Raiders earlier in the week. He also spent time in Houston over the weekend and was reportedly courted by the Green Bay Packers before he decided to come to San Diego. His conversations with Head Coach Norv Turner and Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera helped convince him to don the Lightning Bolts.

“(Norv and I) sat down and talked about football and talked about how he runs things,” Burnett said. “I felt like we had a great conversation and San Diego was the best fit for me. Coach Rivera is a great coach as well. He took the time to explain things to me. We had great chemistry as far as a feel for what he was calling and why he was calling it. I can’t ask for a better situation.”

The past two seasons he’s played under former San Diego Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, and the Chargers run a 3-4 defense similar to the one Phillips installed during his time with the Bolts and currently directs with the Cowboys.

“It’s very, very similar,” Burnett said. “It’s a lot of the same calls. Obviously people do things different from team to team, but it should be a pretty easy transition.”

Burnett tallied 38 tackles and two sacks in 2008, and his 19 special teams tackles were the second most on the squad. He also finished second on the team in special teams tackles in 2006 and tied for third in 2007. While Burnett hopes his move to San Diego gives him a chance to get more involved on defense, he’s also open to a role in the kicking game.

“If that’s what I’m called to do, that’s what I’ll go out there and do,” Burnett said.

Burnett grew up in the Los Angeles area and attended high school in Compton. He was a two-time All-Southeastern Conference performer at the University of Tennessee before the Cowboys drafted him in the second round in 2005. The opportunity to get within driving distance of his family was also a key factor in his signing with the Chargers.

“I’m close to my mother and my grandparents, everybody that I grew up around gets a chance to see me play in person,” Burnett said. “It’s a great situation and I’m happy to be a Charger.”

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Mat Wilhelm, your services are no longer needed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Well, the common thought is we needed an upgrade to our LB corp

So, good signing

I guess

:tup:

6. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Does this mean we kick Wilhelm and his contract out the door?

Good move. I was surprised when we cut Waters... but Burnett makes up for it.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I am curious if this means we might not grab Rey Malauga in the draft if he's available

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    If he's there at 16..hmm...

9. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Solid, we now have a LB that can actually cover a TE!

10. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    AMEN!!!!

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Now the fanbois can sleep tonight.

:lol:

Like the signing, though I am not too familiar with the player. We needed some new linebackers, and we got one with some potential. I think he'll fit in nicely.

Welcome Kevin Burnett.

12. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    It's kinda like we traded Igor Olshansky to Dallas for Kevin Burnett and gained considerably more tackles as a result!

• Like Like x 3
  13. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    ahah there u go! yah i like Burnett maybe he can be a up and coming LB, we werent the only one trying to get him too

14. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I think this might mean we draft Jackson....

Man to bad May's didn't come in this years draft, it would of been ideal.

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Give him some pom poms. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    lol NICE!

17. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    I would love for Mays to be a Charger but IMO; he likely would have been gone by 16.

18. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Willhelm = Trade bait, let's get something for him. (...although I realize some members of this forum would happily trade him for a box of oily rags, I'd prefer to get a draft pick for him)

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Getting Burnett makes getting something for Willhelm less of a problem, but there a few teams he would upgrade, except for the likes of Detroit. The competition might light a fire under him though. Maybe this will screw his head on a little tighter.

20. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Burnett upgraded Wilhelm....Wilhelm now mans Waters spot...If Maualuga is there at #16 which i doubt he is......But if he is we wont let him pass us by IMO. Would be foolish to pass up on a spitting image of SD greatest LB in Seau.

21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    If Mals is there at 16 you get that guy. Can't have enough crazy Samoans on your team!!! Dude can bring it. You know those USC Samoans can hit. (Seau, Polamalu....)

Oh, btw, Burnett has his own website!

http://www.kevinburnett2.com/

22. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    good hire :tup:

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm one of the few that wanted Igor to stay but I like this signing!!! :yes: :bolt:

24. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I would actually prefer us drafting the LSU DE to fill Igor's spot right now.....depending on if we do anything further in FA.....I could live with Burnett as an upgrade to Wilhelm.

25. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    IMO, it's between Jackson and Maualuga. If Maualuga's there AJ picks him, if not he goes with Jackson. I really want Rey but either way I'd be happier than a pig in ****.

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    Imagine if Malcolm Jenkins is there at #16 along with Jackson (LSU DE). The talk is all about Jenkins becoming a stud FS after his poor combine speed.

I could see this board melt down if we pick another DB at 16.

But it could happen.. he could fall to there. The only team really wanting a DB ahead of us is Houston.

I wanted Cushing before we signed Burnett. Now?....

I say Jackson or Jerry the DT from Ole Miss.

27. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Burnett will be a stud for us, can't wait for some Donnie like pass coverage again!!!! Its makes is not so pertinent to get Rey-Rey at #16.

Dline or Oline.....lets get some Grade A beef at #16. Way to go AJ!!!!

28. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree 100%. I want one of college's best linemen for that spot. I like Rey M. but we DO have Shawne, Sean, Stephen, Anthony, and now Kevin so it's not like there is a pressing NEED for a linebacker. Rather we released Goffer, Olshansky, and some others which means there IS a pressing need for their positions. I am confident that the staff is going to make the right call on draft day. Cause I mean, it's the San Diego Chargers and we make that call right way more often than we screw up under AJ Smith and Co.

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    With Burnett I think the worst case scenario is he becomes a better more consistent Matt Wilhelm now (he rotates in on third downs and is available to cover well). Even if we get Malauga who is decent in coverage, you can rotate him, Cooper and Burnett to give us three pretty solid LBs who can cover and tackle. No loss there.

I think Burnett's acquisition pushes Malauga a little lower on the draft board behind someone like Oher or Jackson, but if he's there it will be tough to pass him by.

And Jenkins won't be the pick. The Chargers need a SS (of which there's very few) not a FS (they have a decent one in Weddle).

• Like Like x 1
  30. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

link

Ex-Cowboy Burnett now a Charger

March 11, 2009 9:59 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Even though they drafted him in the second round, the Dallas Cowboys never saw Kevin Burnett as a starter. And that's why he's in San Diego today. Burnett signed a two-year deal worth $5.5 million. Roughly $4 million of the contract is guaranteed.

Burnett was a valuable part of the Cowboys' special teams and nickel units. But in the end, he was too much of a luxury player for the club to keep. The Cowboys wouldn't have brought in veteran Keith Brooking if they thought Burnett had a chance to be the starter. In San Diego, he'll have a much better chance to start.

Burnett grew up in the Los Angeles area, so it's a move he's very comfortable with. He was a T.O. disciple from early on, but he was also an independent thinker. He authored an entertaining blog for the Dallas Morning News in which he took readers inside the game. Will this come back to haunt the Cowboys?

Well, I think that Burnett will eventually go to a Pro Bowl with the Chargers. That ought to tell you something. :icon_huh: