1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Weather worsening....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Electric Chair, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Things are starting to look real nice for tomorrow. More wind, please...

Weather worsening for Sunday's game

By TOMMY HINE
    The Hartford Courant
    16 hours, 35 minutes ago

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The deeper Bill Belichick gets in his preparations for Sunday's AFC Championship Game, the more he turns an eye to the weather.

And each day, the forecast gets progressively worse.

Saturday night's calls for the arrival of a cold front that will lead to partly cloudy skies Sunday. The front is expected to bring strong winds and temperatures in the mid-20s. Wind-chill factors could bring those temperatures down about 10 degrees.

Link

2. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Easy for you to say. I've got to out with the dog... (and it is frosty enough already).

3. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    You have a nice toque to keep you warm. :)

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Were gonna have 0 degrees tonight here in montana.

[​IMG]

glendale in febuary has a nice ring to it with the chargers playing in the super bowl. Anyone else going down for the partys.

5. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Don't suppose you seen any of the full face bank robber versions in Chargers colors.

6. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    You do realize the Patriots live and practice in cold, wet, windy, snowy New England weather, and the Chargers live and practice in nice warm weather.

7. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    In SoCal, those actually get used for bank robberies, so they don't make them. :lol:

Stay warm, Sandy.

8. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Unless it's sub zero, once the game starts, it's football. I would take the cold and wind if it means that we are going to decide the game by running the ball and stopping the run. Two things I know we do better than just about anyone, including your beloved Pats.

If this game comes down to a bloody knuckle brawl, I LOVE the Chargers chances.

9. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Also, FWIW, the Chargers are 3-0 in their last three games below freezing. This includes a -10 game against the mighty Browns where they won 21-0.

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I love their chances regardless, but I'm hoping they just kick their ***...

LEAVE NO DOUBT...

11. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Thing is Brady has a stronger arm so while a 20 MPH wind might shut down Rivers or Billy V. Tom will still be able to throw the ball maybe not as far but still far enough to spread the defense.

Plus the Razor has a very unique design with the opening at one end. That creates weird wind patterns. Patterns that our QB, WRs, corners and safeties are familiar with and the Bolts players are not.

And more so than most games Bolts need to alternate the passing and running game. LT is not 100% one solid tackle (not dirty just solid) and good chance he is out of the game. Turner can't run the ball every play.

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Please examine what the weather conditions were like when the Patriots struggled at home and only beat the Jets 20-10 a month ago.

I think the Chargers are a little better than the Jets.

How many yards did Brady pass for in that game?

13. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    GH, you are a good guy and I hope you stick around after the game regardless of the outcome. But you can't honestly tell me that wind doesn't concern you BIG TIME.

I actually would love to see a steady dose of Turner wearing out you aging LBs. The guy is a battering ram that is going to be a star in this league for whichever team is lucky enough to sign him this offseason.

Bloody knuckle brawl = Chargers win. Period. IMHO, of course.

14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Really? Didn't Tom Brady have a really suck-assed time playing versus the Jets, at home, on Dec 16?

Brady threw 27 passes, completed only 52% of them, and only had 140 yards, and 0 TD versus 1 INT.

The Pats needed an overturned TD call and a missed Mike Nugent FG to get past the Jets 20-10 that day.

I think the Chargers are slightly better than the Jets, even all banged up.

15. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    If there's ever a guy built for this kind of game, it's Michael Turner. :yes:

16. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    The other thing is that people are putting too much stock into the loss of Gates (who if he plays will be a shell of himself). With the rise of Jackson and the acquisition of Chambers, Gates effect on our offense is not as important as it was in years past.

We are deep. We are young. We are hungry. We are focused.

Bring it.

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Why not?

Such weather is made for a RB that can pound the rock and bruise people straight up. I actually like Michael Turner, all 237 lbs of him, to do that all game, instead of 220 lb L.T.

Throw some 250 lb Andrew Pinnock or Lo Neal in there for good measure.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    YOu don't have to tell us the pats will cheat. The world is awaiting the chargers win against the ashwipe pats so the world can rejoice.:yes:

19. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    And you have to love the way Turner FINISHES runs. Much like Dielman and Clary finish blocks.

Gonna be a long night.

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    YOu don't have to tell us the pats cheat. The world is awaiting the chargers win against the ashwipe pats so the world can rejoice.:yes:

21. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Jets play in cold weather too. But the play of Brady was not dictated by the weather. The Jets placed more emphasis on defending Moss than stopping the run. Not unlike Jax game plan last week. Still Brady threw a few deep balls to Moss.

And the Patriots can run the ball. Granted we don't have anyone as good as LT when LT is healthy, but I will take a healthy Maroney over an 80% LT. People often over look NE running game b/c the passing game is so good. NE y/c 4.1; SD 4.2, SD is slightly better. Bolts gave up 107 yards/game; NE 98. Edge to NE.

I will concede season long stats might not be all that meaningful, b/c the Bolts sucked at the beginning of the season. But the Bolts stats were earned with a healthy LT, Rivers, and Gates.

22. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Practicing on your home field is now cheating????

23. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    a) Who ran on the Pats being down three scores the first half the season?

b) Take away our game against Minny and what are the stats? Call that one our mulligan.

I love the Cromartie factor vs. Moss. That is worth the price of admission right there.

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The stats do not tell the whole story. The success of NE's running game was predicated on teams playing the pass first. If conditions worsen to the point that the Pats deep passing game is ineffective, then their running game and rhythm passing games will suffer.

25. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    as for a) don't know, did anybody? as for b) i am sure it improves; take away our worse game (probably ravens) are stats would go up too. not relevant.

Cromartie vs. Moss will be an interesting battle. A very good defensive player vs. a very good offensive player.

Here why stats don't matter though, they don't play the game. If LT, Rivers, and Gates were 100%, and Brady, Welker and Moss were game time decisions I would very very worried about the game.

26. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    You are right. But it is not going to be that windy.

27. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Don't be so sure. It was that windy on Dec 16.

Similar conditions for tomorrow, with the exception that it might not rain like it did a month ago.

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed. Turner is built for snow or as a mudder and do it the whole game and not lose steam.

The way Sproles hit the corner on that screen last week left me thinking there is no way LT hits the hole that fast. That was probably the first time where I said "whoa Sproles looked faster than LT"

29. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    And wind is suppose to be 14 MPH tomorrow and steady no gusts, Jets gusts were up to almost 30 MPH.

And FYI Patriots won that game.

30. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    sounds like the pats fans are a bit worried about thier passing game. They know without the pats o-line holding brady won't have any time to throw anyway. But if there is wind then he'll stink big time. :yes: The pats are totally built around an o-line that holds and bradys passing. WIthout it the pats are worthless.