1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Weddle already a leader in Baltimore

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/01/eric-weddle-already-a-leader-in-baltimore/

Eric Weddle has been a Raven for less than three months, but he’s already a team leader.

That’s the word from one of Weddle’s fellow defensive backs, Lardarius Webb, who says the first thing he told Weddle is that just because he’s new in Baltimore, that doesn’t mean he should be any less vocal than he was during his years in San Diego.

“I told him, ‘We want Eric Weddle. Don’t hold back. Don’t be quiet. We want you,’” Webb told the team’s website. “‘If you yelled when you were with the Chargers, I want you coming out here yelling. Just be yourself. Grow the beard back, because we want the beard, if that’s who you were.’”

Ravens coach John Harbaugh likes what Weddle is doing at Organized Team Activities.

“For whatever reason, he fits in with the Ravens,” Harbaugh said. “He fits in with how we do things around here just perfectly. . . . I give [General Manager] Ozzie [Newsome] all the credit in the world. That was a great signing.”

Weddle, who has acknowledged that he wasn’t happy with the way things ended in San Diego, feels great in Baltimore.

“In all honesty, it feels like I’ve been here my whole career,” Weddle said. “It’s been a natural, seamless transition. I’ve been able to fit in, but also imprint what I’m all about and what I bring to the team.”

It sounds like a good fit.

AAAAAND GO!

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Meh

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Weddle can have the greatest year of his career, as tough of a pill that would be to swallow it wouldn't change the dynamics that existed at the time when decisions were made.

4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Thanks for posting that ChairCrusher click bait :poop:

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Weddle had a beard?

6. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Didn't we have a beard that had a Wattle attached to it?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I think that the beard created more weight plus wind resistance, and as a result it made him slow, he has lost a step or two...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Run Weddle Run!!!!

9. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    forrest-gump-hippie-running.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Kinda surprised it took this long for that article to be posted. ;)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Was that a reference to the Flash tv show? It made me laugh either way.

Glad to hear my former favorite active Chargers defensive player is doing what is expected from him already. Fxxx the Ravens! That is all.

12. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Honestly I really like the Ravens. It's a solid consolation that he go to a team I like rather than New England, Denver, or Oakland or something

13. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    In terms of not being the Patriots, Colts, Broncos or Raiders, I like the Ravens too. (The Colts were not on that list until Telesco got to the Chargers, but now they will forever be hated for infecting our franchise with the Telesco.)

Yay! We are so much better at safety now because our GM was smart enough to do everything in his power not to keep Weddle. Awesome accomplishment!

14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    The dynamics were that Telesco decided long ago that he didn't want Weddle and stonewalled him in attempted contract negotiations during the 2014 season and again in 2015 and then publicly announced for all to hear that it would be best for all concerned if Weddle moved on.

You mean those dynamics?

It was a classic example of how to blow a negotiation process. Even though it was a mistake to refuse to negotiate at all with Weddle, had Telesco simply said at the end of 2015 that Weddle is a great player and that the team would love to have him back if the parties could work out a contract, he would have at least kept himself in the game when the market for Weddle was maybe just a bit softer than Weddle had believed it was going to be and when the team had an extra $12M in salary cap.

In that case, it could have been us swooping in at the last minute and offering 4 years at $26M with a limited signing bonus and guaranteed money that would have been exhausted in two years. That way the cost of cutting Weddle before the deal ended (in case Weddle's play diminished due to the aging process) would not have amounted to a harsh penalty. That is, we could have done a smart deal with Weddle kind of like the Ravens did.

It is a basic rule of negotiations that you always keep your options open during the process. Telesco violated that rule because he failed to understand that there is no harm in at least trying to participate in a negotiation process in a positive fashion because you can always say "no" if you do not like what you are hearing. And that is so notwithstanding his preconceived desire to move on from Weddle.

The result is Weddle, who I think we can all agree was one of our best 53 players and one of our best 4-5 safeties, is now gone, making the team worse. And in case anyone does not get it, making the team worse is the opposite of what the GM should be trying to accomplish.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'm not here to get into a never-ending debate with you about why Telesco is to blame for all of our woes. I'm simply saying that anything that happens in the future doesn't change the dynamics that existed at the time the decision was made, whether or not those dynamics were good or bad.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Wow Leo, that's deep...

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Couldn't give a crap if I tried and I do not care to try

Hope he likes the crab cakes

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Ignorance is not an excuse. You shouldn't absolve Telesco of all responsibility.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I was neither making excuses nor was I absolving Telesco of all responsibility.

Contrary to popular belief, especially on the internet, issues of debate aren't either one extreme or the other. In fact, they're almost always neither.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't think many NFL QB's and WR's every worried about Weddle that much as he was never that great of a player. He was ok but nothing to write home about. I do know he liked pointing fingers in the backfield after TD's were scored over the top on him. I'm surprised no one on the team drilled him in practice and who knows maybe it happened and was just swept under the rug.

21. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Weddle was good here for about 3 seasons...the last one being about 3 seasons ago. Good job TT Boy for
    dumping the has-been.
    Not a Charger anymore...so not a fan (said in my best Trump voice).
    So yes...I root for clothing. :bolt:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    So Weddle's still gone and Chaincracker is still whining? Two constants in an ever changing universe.

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Your post (#3) made it sound like the dynamics were somehow an excuse for not working out a deal with Weddle and because of that it really isn't Telesco's fault if Weddle kicks a$$ in Baltimore.

And the problem with that notion is that it is bullsh!t.

Telesco is 100% to blame for not doing his f*cking job of getting the quality FS we had on the roster re-signed with the team. He created those (bad) dynamics which caused it not to happen, so he is to blame.

Telesco decided that he didn't want Weddle back. Now he, and the rest us, get to live with that decision.

Does anyone have a realistic argument to make that we are actually better off at FS? That seems like a tough position to advance to me.

So, Telesco's bad actions made us worse off at FS. It is as simple as that.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    If only his daughter hadn't performed at halftime, this could all have been averted. :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 2
  26. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Bullsh!t. Weddle wanted a new contract BEFORE the season started. That didn't happen.

Get over it.

27. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
  28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    What if I told you it takes two people to agree to a contract?

Extending Weddle isn't as simple as going to the checkout counter and swiping a credit card.

Sometimes people don't get extended because of how they handled the situation....sometimes there's blame to share on both sides.

It's not as simple as "player didn't get signed/extended, therefore the GM didn't do what he should have done".

29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Exactly. But then again, you're trying to apply reason and logic to Chaincracker.

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Any GM that's not AJ Smith, you mean. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1