1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Weddle gets some love.....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    If Weddle had a halfway decent SS to play with he'd look much better in the backfield, intead of with that scrub Hart.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I think Wed's is getting the old baptism by fire routine. Next year we shall see the proof of the pudding and I feel the guy will turn out to be darn good.:bolt:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I was hoping that Weddle might make Hart look better back there. Instead it seems to have gone the other way. I still think that Weddle will turn out to be a solid player.

5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Seems like a pretty good assesment to me. He is a solid starter right now, he might get better and an upgrade for Hart might help him a lot. We will see, but he is not the worst problem we have by far.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That may well be the understatement of the year. :unsure:

7. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...If you ask me the negatives in this article seem to outweigh the positives. He may be in position to make plays but to me a safety, being the last line of defense, should be physical, something he lacks. I like the last line of the positives..."PLAYS WITH CONFIDENCE". This entire joke of a defense plays with an undeserved OVERCONFIDENCE!

I gotta throw this in...hey A.J, you coulda had Troy but you traded down for Sammy Davis!!

Positives: Plays under control with good balance and body control and tackles well in the open field. Takes good angles to the ball and plays disciplined, understanding cutback lanes. Footwork is clean — good plant and drive on the ball. Is instinctive and always around the ball. Good route recognition. Plays smart and knows where to fit. Can line up a defense. Plays with confidence.

Negatives: Backside tackler. Does not play physical or strike with authority. Can be knocked around inside the box and is not going to drive big backs backward. Looked timid tiptoeing up to take down Michael Turner and often is looking for side angles instead of facing up ballcarriers. Lacks great top-end speed, range and downfield ball skills. Can be held up by bigger receivers and be late to get off blocks.

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Weddle is an integral part of the 31st ranked pass defense on the San Deigo Chargers therefore he sucks. It is as simple as that. Jammer is the only guy back there that can't be lumped into the group.

9. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    We were told that he was a "football player" and always around the ball. These were the intangibles to make up for his lack of physical tools.
    The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of coverage support he has given - always arriving after the completion.

With hindsight, we may have been expecting too much of a first year starter playing the "QB of the defense" position.
    As a result, can we expect much more of him next year?

I hope so. And a veteran, hard-hitting SS alongside him would help.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I like Weddle, I think he just gets tossed out with the rest of the 'trash' but the guy makes alot of tackles, he's rarely out of position and plays hard (something seriously lacking on this team). Minus that one case of him jumping around like a fracking hyena in London, he's been steady and solid.

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    That's true. Weddle has lead the the team in tackles a few times this year I believe. He's doing some work but the sad truth is it is not enough.

12. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Weddle tackles in the back because he makes up for blown coverage by CRO, are LBS, and Hart.

If Weddle just goes for the hit and misses those are TDs. Who else will stop them.

If we had an average safety with Weddle he would be better.

BTW this is Weddle's first year starting.