1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Weddle has some wheels...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Electric Chair, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    As predicted, Weddle is going to stroll past Hart right into the starting lineup. I can't wait to see what this kid brings to the secondary.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070803-9999-1s3chnotes.html

Strong safety Eric Weddle worked with the first team yesterday and continued to impress by how often he is in the right spot.

“Eric has shown great range,” head coach Norv Turner said. “He has very good short-range quickness and break on the ball. He just finds a way to get to the ball. The quickness, the reaction, and some guys have a sense of what the offense is trying to do.”

Said Weddle: “I know the defense. I know all the calls, all the checks. It felt comfortable.”

Preseason games will tell a lot, but it already no longer seems unfathomable that Weddle would push Clinton Hart for the starting job.

Weddle, drafted in the second round, has always said he is fine with whatever his role is. He started camp as a situational player, in the No. 1 dime package but slotted behind Hart in base defense.

“I'm trying to go in and start and beat Hart out,” Weddle said. “But that's up to coaches. It all comes down, in my eyes, to whoever outplays whoever. He has experience. But I'm going to do whatever it takes to play. I want to start. But if I don't, it's not the end of the world. It's about winning, but of course I want to start.”

2. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Hart's in for a tough battle. You can't teach instincts, and that's what Weddle has in spades. The instincts make everything easier for Weddle. It's the thing that makes a guy like Lofa Tutupu such a great player and why some guys just play at an advanced level as soon as they step on the field in the NFL.

3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Couldn't agree more. I have a feeling that Eric Weddle will make us thankful that AJ traded those draft picks to move up and make him a San Diego Charger. :yes:

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Weddle (and the Bolts as well) benefits greatly from his experience in college with virtually the same type of secondary that the Bolts are using on the field. That means, even though he's technically a rookie, his experience with how things are supposed to go in the secondary makes him somewhat of a 3rd year veteran.

5. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Bingo, and on top of that the kid has a sixth sense on the field.

Anyone that watched any Utah games last year knows that this kid a playmaking fool. It was almost like there were two of him on the field.

Hart is going to get beat like a drum for the starting spot.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Weddle is one of those unique Safeties

He's not that big, not that fast, not that strong

He just makes plays and is where he is supposed to be all the time

I don't know, I said on the podcast its 50-50 as to who wins the battle but keep your eyes on it at training camp and pre-season.

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    That's the thing; you don't have to be as big, as fast, or as strong when you have the sixth sense for where the play is going.

I remember Marty talking last year about how players don't get the full benefit of their physical tools until they're able to react without thinking. I believe it was Cromartie he was discussing at that time.

Weddle's the kind of player who knows where to be--not just the general vicinity, but exactly the spot.

Oh, and don't make it sound like he's not a good athlete. He's a very solid athlete, quick and smooth. He's not ripped-up yet like the guys who've been in the league for 5 years, but he's got solid measureables.

Weddle is suffering some reverse racism. He's white, so he can't be that fast--even though he tested out within .1 seconds of all the other top safeties in the draft. We need to get the ACLU involved STAT!

8. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I don't know if that is it so much as some team where still thinking of him as a CB. Some Cover 2 teams where really excited about putting him in their cover 2 CB, since he played so well there as well. if you compare him to the top CB, he is a bit behind their best speeds. He is also a bit small (height and weight) for the top S. But he is the kind of guy, who if you can get by those things, and just watch the kid play, he will grow on you.

9. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    So you really went out on limb on the podcast then and said we'll have to "wait and see". :lol:

Saying it's 50-50 is merely your opinion. My opinion is that AJ gave up what he did because he saw an opportunity to draft an IMPACT player THIS YEAR.

I know that the coaches have alluded to Eric being tremendous depth (and other rather bland assessments that I can't remember), but it was probably not to put too much pressure on the kid and just let him find his own way.

Barring an unforeseen setback or injury, Weddle is going to be the starter. Not only will he be the starter, he will be making plays right off the bat. Bank on it. :yes:

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Ant said it on a podcast though, so his opinion carries more weight.

11. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Maybe he got some inside info from one of his sources. :icon_shrug:

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Nope.

Hart is playing out of his mind right now and is shining head and heels above the rest of the secondary in camp.

Acee hit it on the head. Hart has the best instincts and is our ball hawk in the secondary.

I have said it a million times, "good things happen when Hart is in the game".

Now my boy is going to make you say "wow effing T-man was right again".

AND

Why do I doubt his wisdom ? :yes:

The prophet strikes again .......

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I think Hart's going to make us say, "dang, that was another good special-teams tackle!"

14. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Keep talking out your *** Tony, time will prove you wrong yet again.

"Prophet"... :icon_rofl:

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Book mark it.

Carve it in stone.

Hart is going to go to the ProBowl and fans are going to be left with their mouths wide open wishing they were on the bandwagon sooner.

Just like Babe Ruth - right there.

That is where it is going - - yard. :yes:

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That is Osgood. You are confused.

17. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    The kid sounds like he's got lots of heart. Besides obvious talent, that's what you really need.

He plays to win.

Oldie Out

18. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Kinda like the endless posts that you made about Marty taking us to the promised land last year, how he was going to show everyone that had ever bad mouthed him how dumb we all were? Weren't we supposed to carve that one is stone as well? How did that work out, "prophet"?

Your predictions on all things future are terrific reminders for the kids about that old expression about blind squirrels.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    You're right, of course. Hart will be making us say, "is Clinton Hart still on the roster?"

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I did not say carve that one in stone.

As a matter of fact, I posted a POLL right before the Patriots game that if the Chargers lost, do we FIRE Marty?

I think you wimped out and did not vote. Way to take a stand. That was very underwhelming as well. :yes:

Oh and I voted to can his *** but how the memory fades.....to suit ones own purposes....

21. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Hart/Weddle. Both are an upgrade over Kiel.

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Watch them end up both starting which means McCree sits. :icon_eek: That's some bananas right there.

23. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    This is from 2003. My wife and I carried this around the main concourse of the stadium. Unlike you I recognized dogshit years before the debacle last season.

[​IMG]

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20031123024

"In the third quarter, two fans carried a banner around the main stadium walkway that read: ``Marty Must Go, Fire Schottenheimer.'' Some fans booed when security guards grabbed the banner."

ps: :eek:wned:

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    So you carried a banner in a 4-12 year? Big deal. :tdown:

Carry that banner in a 14-2 year and then you have some balls so that was weak. :eek:wned:

When it came right down to the playoffs, you were on Marty's bandwagon riding his schlong for the Lombardi right along with the rest of the crowd. To deny it, well, puts your internet credibility at stake.

25. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    HAHAHA Great post man. That was pretty funny but it's true.

I haven't seen Weddle play yet but boy are you guys really making me anxious for the pre season to start so I can get a chance to check out this clown.

26. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    They won't take the case- there's no taxpayer money involved and Weddle is not a christian.

27. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Lol, whatever blows your hair back. I have always hated Marty, I have never said ANYTHING positive about the guy, and I have wanted him fired almost since the day he got here. Unlike you, I saw that this guy didn't have what it took to take this team to the promised land. I told everyone such at the breakfast with Shamrock, I was the only one that proposed the question "What if we lose" in the parking lot the day of the Pats Game (I remember being to not even bring it up by RTL and boltssbbound).

I don't give a **** about internet cred as I haven't flip flopped on the subject like you.

I like you style though. Throw a bunch of **** against the wall and see what sticks. Then call yourself a "prophet" for hitting on about 15% of what you say. You are like a tout that speaks out of both sides of their mouth. It's not hard to be right when you picked both sides of an argument to be your own.

• Like Like x 1
  28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

29. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I agree with Trumpie

Didn't Dielman recently say (on the scott & BR show) that the PLAYERS were the ones that weren't mature enough to win last years playoff game? Marty helped this team get the respect they have now and somehow he was a bad coach? Give me a facking break. I've said before on this board that the players were overwhelmed last year. They were nervous and went into the game with too much pressure on themselves. It was obvious that they were scared especially in the first half of the game and that's why they made all of those stupid mistakes that cost them the game.

If you remember the Chargers outplayed the Pats throughout the game but like I mentioned shot themselves in the foot every time they had a chance to put the nail in the coffin. That is why we lost not because of Marty.

Here is the Deilman interview

http://www.xxsportsradio.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,56/func,download/id,364/chk,23df3ef2d72671b22c89b96994ce3962/

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    As I said, carry that poster last year and you are making a statement, otherwise, that was WEAK. Way weak.

Flip flopping. :lol:

Yeah right.

Dude you got owned. Accept it.

Rivers being called out by me has beared fruit and what started the Prophet craze at a time when most of the posters, you included, had nothing good to say about Rivers. Nada.

Learn to take the stand and stick with it instead of cowering behind thinly veiled excuses.

Carrying a banner in a 4-12 season as some sort of holy grail of statements is ridiculous. :lol:

You run it up ANT's *** about going out on a limb on Weddle and Hart and boy oh boy did you go out on a limb on that one as well in a 4-12 season - ya think?

What goes around comes around. :lol:

Pendejo.