1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Weddle says NO to the Vikings, re-signs with Bolts!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,618
    ftfy

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +628
    Good correction

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +628
  4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    I was jus seeing the 19 guarunteed and 13 sign bonus and thinking ok the 13 is for being paitent and that would mean a 5 year deal worth 27 mil or 5.20 mil a year based on play obviously by the only 19 guarunteed. And yea look at the rest of the leauge news... Teams are PAYING Vetran players. Not that all Vets are gettin paid equally.

IMO Hasselbeck for 7 mil a year sounds like the new avg for a vetran QB that actualy could still be a winner/leader for a faltering team. Tennesee hasnt been a slouch and only have been QB consistency away from playoff contention year to year.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,618
    IS it possible that we are already seeing the shift in salaries toward paying more for vets and less for unproven players?

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    I kno we are treading on some real FRESH soil now.

7. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    And it is about time...

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,405
    Funny that nobody in the media even bothered to check that claim until now....... and it's Florio. :D

9. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    first, you cant produce a tape where troy misses a tackle to lose a game. second, the total number and average number of misses is much less than weddles. look at those stats and come back to this

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,405

11. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    yea you let me know when pitt lost to baltimore in a meaningful game or even in the playoffs. this is a regular season game, where he isnt the last person to touch the guy. sorry guy the jets game will own you every time

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,405
    Lighten up, I was merely pointing out that everybody gets trucked once in awhile...... even Troy.

Weddle isn't perfect, but he's going to be a Charger for some time..... get used to the idea. ;)

13. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    people were saying that about eric parker after he signed a 5 year deal in 2006. he hurt his toe in training camp of 07 and became even more useless after that (if thats possible)

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,405
    Eric Parker made many clutch catches as a Charger........ your memory seems to be selective.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,405
    Fans downgrade Weddle because he isn't a big hitter, and he hasn't forced any fumbles, or gotten many interceptions. While he'll never be a big hitter, he's had his hands on quite a few balls that could've been INTs. He certainly got his share in college, so he has the ability.

If you look at his tackles though, you'll see his one of the most productive safeties in the NFL. In the last four years, he's amassed 295 solo tackles. That's 129 more than Troy Polamalu, and 160 more than Ed Reed in the same time span.

What that tells me is that Weddle has been making up for the mistakes of his teammates...... mainly, the linebacking corps. Weddle is a very good fundamental tackler, and he's needed to be. If we can improve the ILBs in particular, Weddle can concentrate more on getting some game changing picks. If Sanders can stay healthy, the secondary should be in fine shape this season.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Highest paid in history! That's damned intense.

17. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Weddle's lead the team in tackles two years running right? And last year, that means he lead the NFL's no. 1 team in tackles. Still overpaid, but he did need a payday. Whatever, I think the defense is going to be solid and Weddle's a big reason why. Might as well pay the man for it.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    This is the side of football that I don't really care for. As far as I am concerned none of these guys are worth what gets heaped on them, it's just the way everything has progressed. I hate 3.64 per gallon gasoline also but it is what it is.

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Yup. Football is a business. He may be expensive today, next season he might just be a bargain.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +628
    Exactly

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    That is why they call them safeties, go figure...................justdafacts*

22. Mobius

Mobius BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm glad he will be back myself. Nothing wrong with keeping a good stable player like Weddle. I'm much more concerned with our plan at receiver at this time.

Sent from my Epic Android using Tapatalk

23. dizzle498

dizzle498 Bolts lover 4 life

Ratings:
    +10
  24. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    I believe Weddle is a mistake to pay more than top 10 paid in his position. Frustrating being a fan and seeing bad decision made like this. No other team even wanted to sign him as far as i know unless he was cheap, yet again we overpay 1 player who does not lock a WR down or led the league in sacks or interceptions or even tackles??? He is solid, but not dominating in any aspect right?

We all think we could do better, yet some of could/would.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,405
    The price goes up every year.... and this year, with the rookie cap, there was more money available for signing veterans. And in Weddle's case, their were few quality safeties available, so the bidding went high for his services..... that's life.

26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
  27. dizzle498

Ratings:
    +10
    How is Weddle a mistake? He makes 140 tackles a year, picks a couple of passes, defends more. He is the leader of our defense, and the glue in our secondary. Name 5 safeties you would take over Weddle?

I can name 2 - Eric Berry, and Troy Palomalu...At 26 years old, Weddle will be around for a long time. I love Ed Reed, but he is injured all the time and is old. Even Troy P is old and injured all the time. Berry is young and money, hurts to say cause he is from KC, but it's true.

Weddle is elite in this league, he deserves what he got, I am happy he is back. Don't make me bring up the marlon McCree and Clinton Hart days...Need I say more?

28. dizzle498

Ratings:
    +10
    Love this, Weddle has really only been starting for 2 years too. Last year was a great year, he will only get better.

29. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    He was offered the same contract by another team.. So, that argument is flawed right off the bat.

30. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    My perspective is one on his position. I would want a safety that was at least tall to get picks as last line of resort and or force fumbles via hard hits. I don't see him as any more than just a solid player which in my view makes our D worse being out there in my type of D scheme. I would use him more as a x factor, but we already have that with Sanders being shorter, TOUGHER AND PROVEN mvp. How many short tough guys can a D use? To be shorter u have to at least be amazing hitter, speed player like Sanders. I would have only resigned him if he at least had this attribute. I don't see him making our D better than with-out him. We could have signed the Saints safety and then we would be a legitimate #1 possible D.

I'M GLAD WE MAKING EFFORTS ON THE d SIDE SO IT'S STILL POSITIVE IN THAT ASPECT.