1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Weddle whines, basically calls Telesco a liar; hires chaincrusher for PR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    I do not know which side is telling the truth, but my instincts say that Weddle is. Here is my thinking on why that is so, but I am certainly open to reasons why a different conclusion on my part would be warranted.

There is no need for Weddle to have responded at all if Telesco had been truthful as there is no harm in two parties not (yet) being able to reach an agreement, even if one party perceives the other as being unreasonable with their demand/offer.

If an offer had been made, Telesco could throw a BS penalty flag and simply produce any document that evidences that an offer or offers had been made to discredit Weddle, so I seriously doubt that Weddle would make such a statement if it were not true (because it could be so easily discredited if the statement were false).

And if no offer has been made, that certainly does not sound like Telesco is making or has made a good faith effort to try to negotiate with Weddle. Weddle's agent is not going to bid against himself in the negotiation process. (Negotiators are trained not to do that.)

Unfortunately, this thought process takes me right back to my original position that Telesco is a buffoon for refusing to negotiate with Weddle.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Maybe Telesco just asked Weddle´s agent by phone (no evidence)

Telesco : hey, what are you guys looking for?
    Agent : X millions for Y years with Z guaranteed
    Telesco : Wow! we're not even close (and that thing they say about not offending you with a way lower offer), thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    That could be an explanation for what has happened.

It is still a mistake for Telesco not to negotiate at this time, though, if that is what happened. Telesco knows where he would like to end up, so he can come in below that to leave room to negotiate. He should go through that process formally with Weddle, assuming that he has not already done so.

And if Weddle's demand is an opening demand that he knows is a little high, he should not be offended by a lower first offer.

Parties don't always reach an agreement, but there is no harm in going through the process and sometimes there is enough movement to where the parties are close enough to where a deal can be hammered out. Weddle is not likely to reduce his demand at or near free agency where his negotiating leverage improves. It is better for Telesco to see what can be done now.

• Old Old x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Tommy Two-face. ;)

7. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    You do realize that this crowd is not a very jovial lot, don't Ya?

8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Telesco is Gawd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    How has this whole thing not been blamed on A.J. Smith yet?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
  11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    If I were Tom Telesco, and I knew the Chargers were going to leave, I'd deal everyone for 7th round picks and tell LA to "suck on that."

12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Doesn't matter where we go at this point. We can still ink 17, deal 32. If you already know he's not in the plans for 2016, and he said he won't negotiate in the year, deal him and get something for him now. I think we could get multiple mid rounders from a desperate team.

13. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I have a feeling that your sentence was left incomplete :D

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    So, it was't just me then. ;)

15. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Feels like the Word Association thread. Go for it :D

16. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Word Association? Okay I'll start out. This one's for chaincrusher.
    "Liuget extended!"

17. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Weddle is gonna be a Patriot by next year. Same ole dysfunctional organization. Archie was right, Spanos are clueless about football.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So just a quick poll...

How many people now hate Weddle because Chaingnasher loves him?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Over / under on Chaincrusher's response to be more than 7 phat paragraphs? ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Well I think ppl started hating Weddle way before Chain started defending him. From the time he said he wasnt coming to the Voluntary OTAs the hate was in the air... Its so quick that we turn against the 2nd best player on the team.

21. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I can't speak for anyone else but for myself! I never "hated" on Weddle, but I did question his (his agent's by extension) negotiation tactic by going public with this stuff. I generally do not approve of these matters seeking empathy and sympathy in the court of (uninformed) public opinion. If memory serves me correctly, Weddle and his camp were also a bit more vocal than the norm during his first contract extension under the AJ regime.

Look I get it, this Ownership Group is not a very endearing one to say the least, specially under these inauspicious stadium "negotiations", but honestly Weddle did not do himself many favors by NOT staying mum. That is just my opinion!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Remember when Vincent Jackson's agent called AJ Smith the Lord of No Rings?
    Haha good times.:roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    I can see how you may feel it that way, but I don't.

What Weddle really wanted to know was whether he was in the Chargers longterm plans or not. The guy does have a family, and he wanted to stay with the team. If he remained quiet about it, the FO would continue to string him along without giving him a real answer, like it's been trying to do. But making it public, he basically forced things out in the open, and made it clear that the Chargers don't plan on keeping him. Since that's the case, it's better for him to know that now.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So.... They hate Gates then?

25. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Indeed they forced the issue by going public. I like to play chess and I try to foresee, forecast the next couple of moves. This tactic just poisoned the well even further. Buy hey, in the grand scheme of things, perhaps the well is just poisoned well beyond any purification and redemption. If I were a betting man, I would wager on fans burning Chargers jerseys in hoards when even the most faithful and the most naive get the whiff that Spanos has bailed out. That said, an ex-Weddle Jersey may actually be the one to safe keep ;)

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    If the team was going to move on, then there was nothing to poison, which I believe was the case. Better to get off before all the lifeboats are filled. ;)

27. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Foreshadowing? Philip Rivers taking notes! ;)

28. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Tommy said in the "sinister" article that they looked at the materials and analysis offered by EW's agent and realized they weren't in the ball park so they decided to let him play the year and then test the market. Reasonable approach IMO.
    EW will look at their offer just like any other next off season. EW will swallow his pride and be a bolt if they offer comparable money.
    While I can understand why he feels disrespected he has to look at the situation and realize the team isn't being unreasonable. They're not in a business where they hand out millions 'cause someone's a good guy. They are in a business where people are paid for the future, not the past.
    Stop being a primadonna Eric, your still in the top 5 highest paid safeties this year (might even be top 3).

29. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    BTW I rock an EW for every game

30. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    So if he doesn't want hated, then SHOW THE F*CK UP TO OTA'S! If he doesn't show up, then at the very least he shouldn't act a pouty bookyak being denied candy. Fans HATE it when a player does that.

And if you think OTA's are truly "voluntary", or ANYTHING in the NFL is, then you're as naive as they come.