1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Weddle

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Nov 9, 2009.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Anyone still think we gave up too much to get him? Weddle is quickly establishing him as one of the best young safeties in the league. He's extremely versatile. He can play close to the line or off the ball. And, even though I'm a big fan of his, I must admit that I never knew he could lay the wood like he has been doing this year. :tup:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think we gave up too much BUT Weddle has shown improvement and is becoming a good player.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, I have heard the 'gave up too much' talk on Weddle and Hester...

Could someone elaborate on who they would have picked up, and whom they would have cut from the team in order to make a spot for those extra picks that were 'wasted' on the players?

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    No complaints here. Weddle has been a solid contributor. He's throwing his body around like Merriman a couple years ago or Rodney back in his prime. I really like what I've seen from him this year. :tup:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I just think they could have drafted weddle in the first as opposed to Buster Davis and kept their three picks that they gave up. Heck they probably could have picked Davis in the second round. I don't know how many better players they could have gotten but I think AJ and most people would have preferred that.

6. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Weddle comes to play every week, and yesterday was no exception...even if Bob Sheppard (Giants PA announcer) can't pronounce his name right :yes:

I for one am pleased with his progress, he's turning into a very solid safety right before our eyes.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Hindsight is 20/20 of course. So we can look back now and someone might say "Well Weddle was worth the picks, but Hester hasn't really contributed anything to justify the investment." And I would call that a fair assessment.

Hester cost 2 2nd round picks and a 5th round pick... It occurs to me that one of those picks might have been spent on a RT, or a potential replacement for Jamal, for o-line or d-line depth. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20 and even if Hester was an over-investment, I think Weddle was worth it.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Weddle is already a VERY GOOD player. Academic arguments about whether we could have given up a fourth instead of a third rounder are purely speculative. AJ got us another playmaker in Weddle. And he deserves credit for it.

Look at the players Chicago drafted with the picks we gave up for Weddle:

Dan Bazuin DE
    Career Stats:
    None
    He was injured in his rookie season and his career is now over.

Michael Okwo ILB:
    Career Stats:
    None
    He is not currently on an NFL Roster

Corey Graham CB
    Career Stats:
    9 Career Starts
    116 tackles
    8 Passes Defensed
    1 INT

Earl Bennet WR
    Career Stats:
    7 starts
    32 catches
    427 yards
    0 TDs

Now look at Weddle's career stats:
    24 starts
    235 Tackles
    3 sacks
    15 Passes Defensed
    3 INTs
    1 TD

Weddle has more starts than all four of thos players combined. He as more tackles than the 3 defensive players drafted with the picks we traded for him. And he has more career TDs than the one offensive player drafted for him.

I bet the Chicago Bears wish they would have drafted Weddle instead of making the trade.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Agreed here, & to some degree with Ant. 20-20 hindsight is certainly in play regarding Buster. Tough to say with Hester, but I much prefer Tolbert at FB so, at this point in time, I have to say that I'm leaning towards the opinion that Hester was an over-reach as well.

Weddle comes to play, like BoltFanDC said. It was in evidence from our seats yesterday. This was his evaluation coming out of college - football smarts, always around the ball, over-achiever. That's what we're seeing from him. Has he been perfect? Of course not, but I like what he does at the position.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, jump in your way back machine with Profesor Peebody and go back to the year Hester was drafted.

Where would you place the three people you would draft with those picks, who would you cut to make room for those picks?

There is a strategy to drafting, you dont just draft someone because you have a pick. That is stupidity because then you are paying someone that may not even make your team, if you already have a solid roster, WHICH WE DID! Or you end up cutting a solid veteran, as you gamble the rookies you picked up will be able to make it at this level.

Remember, under AJ Smith, most years rookies have NOT had to contribute on the team right away. That is because we had solid players ahead of them that allowed the rookies to learn the craft at the pro level and improve. That was where we were in the year we took Hester.

So dont say well we coulda had a replacement for Jamal... WHO WOULD YOU HAVE CUT TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE PLAYER THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE REPLACED JAMAL?

Before anyone says we gave up too much for any one player, look beyond the picks to the status of the team. Think beyond the surface and try and see the strategy.

If you can identify 3 players we could have done without, that would work into the salary structure of the team and have a good chance at being better than who we had already wearing bolts, then you have an argument.

Until I see that argument, I will go with AJ, more often than not he has done well for the club.

Has Hester been an all pro player? No, he may get replaced, but here and there he has made superb heads up plays. He has had positive impacts on the team. So is hester worth 3 or 4 picks? Probably not, but did the team need those 3 or 4 picks, or the cost of them, I say NO!

Edit: As for Weddle, I have never got the Weddle hate. They guy has played at a high level since taking over and made more positive plays than negative plays for the Chargers. He was well worth the investment.

11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

In addition, the Bears got blown out at home yesterday by the Cards.

Graham, the CB the Bears got, had just two tackles.

Bennett caught 7 passes for 93 yards and 0 TD.

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Well first of all Hester would never have taken a roster spot... so that's 1 of the three people we could have done without. But I would hope that with a couple 2nd round picks we could find somebody that would allow us to cut a Jeromey Clary or Scott Mruczkowski or Ryon Bingham. I mean hell, I don't even remember if those guys were all on the roster the year we drafted Hester.

Sure it would be stupid to cut those guys without a quality replacement... but it's not like you have to cut a guy before you draft his potential replacement. Just because you draft someone doesn't mean they have to end of up on your final roster and I'd much rather have had an extra option at o-line and behind Jamal than an extra FB.
    :yes:

EDITED TO ADD: Add Carlos Polk to the list of guys we could totally have done without (without a replacement even).

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Word with sushi. :tup:

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

No but you have to pay them, and that impacts the salary cap. They still sign a contract, unless you are sugesting that we draft someone and cut them prior to training camp. Then how exactly is THAT not a true waste of a pick?:icon_huh:

Also, take a look at the average second round salaries from the season hester was drafted and then look at the salaries of the people you mentioned. Again, are you simply looking at the surface or the entire picture?

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    We sign draft picks and cut them every year... the point is to at least get them in the door to evaluate them.

Your argument is that we wouldn't have had the cap space to sign 1 extra 5th rounder last year and 1 extra 2nd rounder this year? Seriously? AJ drafted Hester because it fit conveniently into our economic plans? :no:

We couldn't do without Kevin Burnett or Michael Bennett's salaries on the books right now? Are we getting our monies worth from Tyronne Green, Dennis Norman, and Dante Hughes? I would totally rather have 2nd round beef on either line than ANY of those guys right now.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Fock it. I'm glad we got Weddle. You know the Bears would love to have him instead of the stiffs they got. As for Hester, jury is still out. I think he has potential and yes, probably gave up a lot to get him but then again we had the extra pick to give so it wasn't a huge gamble. Hester is a solid ballplayer and contributor on Special teams. Don't know if he'll ever be a starting RB or FB but dude is like a Utility guy. I wouldn't make my final decision on Hester until the next 2 seasons. Heck, I'm still pissed we passed on Polamalu and got Candyman Davis and "Coughsyrup" Kiel as well but that's over now. Weddle is the man and I'm glad he's a Charger! :tup:

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I agree, that is the shining example of hindsight being 20/20. I would love to see Polamalu in bolts... But say la veee...

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Who was the last second rounder we drafted then did not sign? I remember a fourth rounder... But most of the draft picks we do sign, then cut towards the end of TC... They still impact the salary cap.

That is PART of the argument, you usually are better at understanding what is being posted than this! :icon_tease:

My main argument is we did not need a lot of players. We had quality starters and did not have a lot of holes to fill on the roster. That I have made pretty clear IMO. You wanting to get rid of Polk after one of his best years doesnt make sense.

As for Clarry, he was on the team in 2006 when he was taken in the 6th round, one year before Hester was drafted, the team had him as a back up lineman. So using your hindsight, maybe he is not the star you want, did you or AJ know that after one season as a backup? He was kept on the team because he can play both tackle and guard, so he was a versitile fill in. Now you dont like his play so say you wanted him cut in 2007? That is not up to your nomal standards of logic bro...

Mruczkowski is now a fifth year player, who was a seventh round pick, so again he was cost effective backup. remember, the O line enjoyed one of its best seasons in '06, so expecting sweeping changes along the O line just wasnt in the books for the '07 draft.

Is that making things any clearer? We can play the I wanted him all day long, hell lets go back and get Polamalu! But look at where the team was when the draft happened, not where it is now, and what you want now... This doesnt make sesne?

Ok, again, your hindsight is astounding. LETS TALK APRIL 2007!!!

WHAT WERE THE NEEDS IN APRIL 2007 THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN FILLED WITH THE 'WASTED' PICKS?

That is the issue. We can second guess all day long based on what we see today... The point is drafts are not made off of knowledge from two years in the future.

So at the time, what did we need and how were the picks wasted in making the trade to move up?

19. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    2008 technically... but I did the same thing at first :icon_tease: :lol:

There are a lot of people here that have been begging to draft BEEF year after year after year. Like I remember wanting Gallery over Rivers even. :lol:

Really you can go back as far as you want... this team has been THIN in the trenches for over a decade now. :yes: So that's what we needed in '07, that's what we needed in '08, and that's where we're weakest right now in 2009. :yes:

I would rather have seen two second round and one fifth round lineman come through camp than one pasty ineffective fullback.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I wanted beef. I could live without Hester. My point is when people throw around the term 'wasted picks' they very rarely put the effor into seeing where the team was the season before.

Yes now, we need line help. Agree 100%, it is not the end all scenario if we dont get stars on the line, but I am wondering if we wont move to a 4-3 in the off season based on line needs and free agent positioning... (read linebackers walking soon)...

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Weddle is the ****.

It is hard to judge a secondary when the front 7 is not doing their job unless the player really really sucksass. We have not had that type of player since Jerry Wilson a few years ago. If the front 7 does their job, average secondary players look like superstars.

Every fan who wants this team to really succeed better start praying to whatever diety you suck up to for mas BEEF. :bolt:

22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    But we more than likely wouldn't have drafted any of those guys.

I think it'd be more accurate to look at who was available for those picks that we might have drafted had we still been on the board at the time.

23. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    100% agree. Weddle has had a direct hand in 3 of our wins this season. Game at Oakland, versus Miami, and yesterday versus the G-Men.

Now we play the Eagles, and our secondary is vastly better than when we last played them in 2005.

2005: Sammy Davis and Jerry Wilson.

2009: Cromartie and Eric Weddle.

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    What I don't want to see is our safeties leading the team in tackles and btw fans thinking that is a cool stat.

The Eagles are a Cybil type of a team in that they are psychotic....you never know what to expect. They are good and can look like ****...sort of like the Chargers :lol:

25. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    The reason I say that it's not in Hindsight Conc is because I was sitting in front of the TV at one of our Draft Parties and when our pick came up, I think it was pick 15 back in 2003. I was yelling at the screen, "Troy Polamalu, USC, Troy Polamalu, USC (I have witnesses that remember that) and what do they do? AJ trades down and Pitt gets him at 16. I think AJ was thinking TP wasn't big enough. Man, was he wrong. Oh well. AJ has hit the jackpot on guys that I didn't know like the Burner, Floyd, Dielman, etc so he's done more right than wrong. Most GM's don't get 2/3's of the picks right. Look at the Lions.....

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I say hindsight only because at the time, when we draft people it is always a crap shoot as to if they will really turn out to be a good player.

Look a Busted Davis...

27. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    don't try to spell in french, you have problems with english as it is :icon_tease:

EDIT : Weddle was worth it, Hester (up to now) wasn't

28. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Take off the "er" Conc, just "Bust". Not giving up totally on him. Maybe with Chambers gone he will at least suit up. Btw, I was yelling out "Anthony Gonzales" when he was picked but we picked BD. AG is hurt though but he's a great slot guy for Indy when he's healthy. Oh well. You're right about it being a crap shoot since most of these picks turn out to be "crap". :lol:

29. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The Hester trade is a joke. Espescially when you see the Broncos got Peyton Hillis in the same draft with a 7th round pick. A guy who had better numbers both rushing and recieving in college.

30. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Weddle! Weddle! Weddle!

There's a reason I adopted him this season.