1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Week 1 heart breaker, Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Sep 8, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Studs

Jeremiah Attaouch - Strip Sack, Blocked punt. Great start for the young career
    Jason Verrett - the most prepared rookie CB I've ever seen.
    Brandon Flowers - Locked down the WRs for a long time.
    Manti Te'o - Huge change from last year.
    Antonio Gates - What injuries?
    Special Teams - rookies and new chargers are showing off

Middle Ground

Philip Rivers - had some success but that fumbled snap will be in his dreams for a long while.
    Keenan Allen - Again good game but one play will live forever
    Rich Ohrnberger - Did alright but he's not a great center and the team is in trouble if Hardwick is out long term.

Duds

John Pagano - ran too many vanilla schemes for far too long
    Dwight Freeney - too many missed sacks
    Frank Reich - why the hell is Green not out there?
    Johnnie Troutman - he doesn't deserve to be on an NFL roster
    Mike McCoy - poor depth choices and poorer play calling
    MNF - the Chargers can't handle the bright lights on the first night. Again.

Opinion: If I have to take a positive its that this hurt alot less than the last two MNF losses. Bluntly the Chargers showed more positivity this time than the last two. But they're not ready for it and it won't get any better

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Good is Verrett, Attaouch, and Flowers. Everybody else sucked and this team has taken a massive step back on offense.
    Coachs should have simplified things due to the crowd noise. Instead they let Rivers do all that wannabe Manning stuff.

Running game stunk and Woodhead was misused all night long. Leaving him in to block really??????

We'll be 0-2 guaranteed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    I feel like not getting another WR was a major blunder by Telesco. Also, 0-2 with Troutman at RG. Clary isn't looking so bad.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Good:
    Verrett - Looks like he belongs in this league, and this was only his first start. Fantastic performance.
    Attaochu - WHOOWEE the kid is fun to watch. Blocked punt, sack/strip, tackles on special teams, solid against the run....I'll take 5 more just like him please.

Bad:
    Marcus Gilchrist - Is the impersonation of the AJ Smith era, just an unintelligent football player.
    Eddie Royal - Multiple drops, cost us a pick before halftime when we were driving.
    O-line - No push in the run game, did the best they could with the overwhelming rush but tht leads to by 4th bad....
    Reich - 1 screen to Woodhead aint going to do it when they're blitzing that much.
    Berman - Holy **** you fat **** learn the players names!

5. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Studs: Flowers, Verrett, Attaochu (all new guys)
    Duds: Weddle (dropped INT), Gilchrist (dropped INT), don't usually grade this rough but: Rivers (the snap was there, you took your eye off it for a split second, turning point of the game).
    Honorable Mention: Mathews (wouldn't be stopped for the 6).

That mishandle of the snap by Rivers was the beginning of the end. Cards played well, very tough defense. Good game gauge, Seahawks will get toasted next week at the Murph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    rivers absolutely should be a dud.. threw that 2nd int late but was bailed out by that bullshit penalty that shouldnt of been called and then didnt catch snap that knocked us out of fg range which would have been huge if we got 3 there.

another huge dud Reich. this whole woodhead brown matthews rotation is just too much going on and no back is getting enough time to get into the flow of the game. Also, ladarius green wasnt used much at all against a defense that was shutting down our wrs and running game but was the worst against te's in history of nfl last year .. hmmm, maybe we should get green involved?

7. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    YOU ******* win. We need another WR to help Keenan I keep saying it. to me, we secretly have poor wide recievers. Malc is a wash most of the time besides one god play if he isnt injured. Gates is slower and gives up on a lot of plays and Royal is a over achieving slot reciever....This is why i hoped and prayed we could get Jordan Mathews from Vandy

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It was a ridiculous game plan, and it worked out exactly how you'd expect.

9. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah, I still have high hopes for Reich and we don't know how much of the game plan was his, but he didn't call a great game.

10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Studs:
    Defense held a high powered offense to 18.
    The Rooks Verrett and Attouchou played really well.

Duds

Well pretty much everyone else.

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Studs - The rookies, Verrett and Attaochu. Verrett looks like a star already. Did not expect him to see so much gametime. Thought Flowers looked ok as did the special teams coverage unit....

Duds - Wow so many to mention. It was an horrific night for many. A real 'you said u were ready' question mark. Drops by so many... first it was tackling now it is drops (even Philip got in on the act). Inexcusable some of them. Points to guys heads not being in the game for me. The D line outside of Liuget is a joke. Where is Mr Reyes?, assume Lissemore is still banged up cos he sure wasn't out there as much as I would have expected. The whiffs by Freeney and Ingram (who was v poor for me). The playcalling... I've said it so many times and Pagano goes with it again, the 3 man rush when the Cards are inside the 5, F me but that guy, jeez. Having Ingram drop into pass coverage so much God help us with Pags. So much for Tourek Williams eh, does not even dress and the guy he gets in over makes a play for the other team, such a poor call keeping him over Keiser and Law (yes I know he is on the PS, but he did get cut).

Even Scifres had a god awful punt with zero pressure on him. Not sure what the running game was trying to do, also don't like the call the line at the scrimmage so much away from home. The chances of the opposition jumping offsides is removed as we are snapping the ball at the end of the clock all the time anyway.

Gilchrist, Gates, Royal, Allen and Weddle give me fifty...

Oh almost forgot, thought David Johnson blocking was v poor also, where was John Phillips was he inactive?

I got up at 5Am for this...

12. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    I was so optimistic that we wouldn't pull a typical Chargers early season terrible offensive gameplan game but boy was I as wrong as I have ever been. Perhaps the worst called game I've seen in a long time.

Verrett, Attaochu looked good. Special teams nice effort along with Mathews but how can you run when your offensive line has more holes then swiss cheese.

Royal to me has a very poor game effort wise and that can't be tolerated. I think when they watch the tape he will end up losing some reps. I can't stand that low effort **** it gets me more then anything .

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378

Te'o and Gates = STUDS ???? [​IMG]

Seriously, would love to hear your reasoning on those calls Ant.

14. newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    I have to agree with the Gates sentiment. He looked slow and he had too many dropped passes.
    I'm thinking Green should be used more often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Hey Damo, you watching the replay ?

Never seen Gatesy drop so many easy balls in a game before, not a good sign.

I'm guessing it's just us Aussies around these parts at this time of day.

The under utilisation of Green presently, is undeniably baffling ................[​IMG]

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'm here too but I agree on Gates also, looked slow and old. The long 3rd down conversion was more to do with Philip throwing it to the right place as he was getting creamed. But Gates did catch it, I'll give him that.

I'm also in the yet to be convinced by Te'o camp.

17. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Sorry Paddy, ofcourse you are, seen you post earlier, my bad !!! :tup:

Just watched that exact play .................yep, all Rivers that one, Gatesy just had to hold it, which considering how his day had gone mostly, wasn't a certainty. ;)

He still has value of course, no way any team can afford NOT to cover him or even double him at times, but has lost 3 steps in speed and his ability to shed opponents, isn't what it used to be, that's a fact.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Gates made some very nice catches including that huge bomb that bailed the Chargers out and put them in position for a FG, only to have Rivers mess it up. Te'o took his eyes of the QB for one second on that TD but the difference between last year and this year is the difference between a milk truck and a rocket ship.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    As soon as Philip went Peyton ala SuperBowl with that drone ball sail'n overhead....I had a sick feel'n we were gonna somehow F-up that 11 point lead. :( :tdown: :poop:

Un-frick'n-believable.

20. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Speaking of Berman, how about the babbling when the Chargers took a time out just before the half after the Cardinal's failed 3rd down. He went into why the Cards called the time out, maybe hoping for the refs to over turn the spot. The dudes an embarrassment outside of the studio.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. DanB 21

DanB 21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with pretty much all the sentiments made by everyone in some form or another.
    I actually thought it was a really exciting game the first half, more exciting than when the Chargers actually did something of note.
    Verrett and Attaochu, as already stated, both excellent, also Flowers, Luiget and Teo for me. I can see the Gates argument, but we expect better, likewise from Phillip.
    My biggest 2 Duds were certainly Royal and Freeney. I think there is some usefulness to someone who can rush the pass as well as Freeney, but either make those easy sacks or have someone on the opposite side who can clean up.
    I wouldn't even mention Reyes as a Dud because I didn't even noticed he existed.
    The run game is my major gripe. Either the Cardinals have a magnificent run defense, or we have no run game. Just rotate Mathews and Woodhead for goodness sake, they can do everything you need them to do. And try a run on 2nd down too, after a pass, so we aren't always passing 2nd and 3rd.
    Berman needs to get his **** sorted. Great guy, terrible commentary.
    Trent Dilfer gesticulates too much.

22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    AZ had the #1 run d last year, so not surprised the running game sucked.

Too many dropped balls, missed tackles and missed TO opportunities.

This team still does not know how to close out a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Yeah....Berman babbling on and on about that F'n Ray Rice during game was F'n annoying as hell....as if we didn't hear enough about it all freak'n day.......
    Hey Berman.....we gotta game going here.....focus on the game at hand.....:mad:

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Some guys that played like studs turned around and showed up duds. Yes, the screwed up snap hurt the Bolts but all the dropped balls that happen prior to that both offensively and defensively magnified it to overblown proportions, never even should have come down to that.

I don't know what Gates value is right now, he sure didn't help it out much last night but if a deal can be had for a legit NT or a mauler at ILB then I'd be all for it. There is no true backbone on the defense, they gave up 300 plus I believe in the passing game and some folks think they played well???

This new Ray-Gun addition to the offense backfired, I was painfully reminded of the old Chinese Fire Drill waiting for these guys to get the damn play off on time. The Cards Defense would be set and ready to go well before the snap like they knew what was coming, strange.

Way to much gone wrong to name just a few Studs and Duds but the two that stick out the most are Gates and Royal. I just hate having to type that.

25. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    I feel this rusty looking O could have shaken off the dust if they played in the preseason
    More than 10 snaps over 4 games
    The D look good overall and held the cards to 18 pts
    The O looked bad rusty and slow
    We should have scored 28 easy
    Hope we can get over it and beat the hawks

26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Verrett was a Stud, For his first game he did a solid job squaring himself up in front of the WR, made the greatest play on the ball to break it up that was voided by Gilchrist holding Housler.

Te'o was a Stud, he was all over the ball, showed a lot of hustle to stop the big gains, we need a true NT to help him out.

Attaochu was a Stud, blocked punt and a strip sack in his first big game, I see a lot of big games in his future.

Gates was a Stud, keep in mind this guy was a game time decision, seeing him live, you could clearly see he was in a ton of pain during warm ups and still hustled and got separation.

Floyd was a Stud, after his injury last year, he showed no signs of fear getting tackled, and did took what was given to him, Happy Birthday M80.

The defense as a whole looked a lot better than last year as a whole, the secondary held their own with no pass rush so I would put them in the Stud column.

The pressure up front needs some serious help. There is a ton of football left to be played, plenty of things to mix up and players to be brought in. Good things to come.

27. Weddle512

Weddle512 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    The rooks looked great. Gates, while looking slower, still looked good.

Royal screwed the pooch and so did Allen on that 4th down. I don't care if the ball was tipped, you gotta catch that if you have it in your arms.

I think the offense will be fine, but you could tell it was rusty. Maybe they should have played more in the pre-season, coach. Gotta beat Seattle this week. Defend home field.

28. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Looking at our schedule this game was one we needed to win. Am I ready to call for everyone's head 1st game of the season? No.

However. Same old Chargers. Double digit lead, failed to put the opponent away. Weddle and Gilchrist should of had INT's, Freeney should of had 2 sacks that would of lead to a 4th a long, Ingram couldn't finish a play that would of lead to a three and out. Our defense could of single handily won this game.

Frank Reich needs to figure it out on offense. Our strengths last year weren't even utilized. Woodhead, Green, Allen all used sparingly. Our offense created so many mismatches last year it was scary to play against us when we were rolling. Why were Eddie Royal and Antonio Gates targeted so much last night? Not like they created a mismatch. Johnnie Troutman needs to be benched. Enter Chris Watt please. Also, A-gap blitzes killed us once Hardwick left the game and especially on that last drive.

John Pagano still needs to figure it out on defense. Vanilla 3 man rushes on 3rd and f***ing 3! Jason Verrett will be the starting CB over Shareece Wright against Seattle. Kid balled out. Richard Marshall sucks, I'm baffled how he is on the field more than Darrell Stuckey. Praying for Jahleel Addae to come back.

Special teams was immaculate. Have nothing but good things to say there.

Studs - ST's unit. J Feeva (Jason Verrett), Jerry Attaochu, Manti Te'o, Brandon Flowers, Corey Liuget.
    Duds - Too many. Seriously. Frank Reich and John Pagano come to mind though.

Just because the Chargers are the Chargers they'll probably beat Seattle at home. By the way WHERE IS LADARIUS GREEN? RETURN HIM TO 9449 Friars Rd, San Diego, CA 92108 FOR US ON SUNDAY PLEASE.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Chargers fans were @ 60-40 or 50-50 minimum, We were loud, louder than the Cardinal fans. But dammit they would not shut up when Chargers were on offense

30. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Most annoying thing man. Fans need to get a grip to hush it when on offense.

• Like Like x 1