1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Week 1 Power Rankings... Falcons ahead of boltz... Really?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Sep 11, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I know you can never take these very seriously but still, how do they figure the falcons, ravens and packers and cowgirls are better than the boltz?

NFL Power Rankings Week 1 - National Football League - ESPN

2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    No **** you east coast biased turd.

Based on NFL coverage this week you would think that the chargers were not even playing. The only clue is the "Jets and Ravens kick off Monday Night Football...(followed by lots of sucking sounds by the analyst) and ending with " and the chargers play the chiefs in the second game."

2 HRs of and NFL network season preview and not 1 mention of the chargers v chiefs game.

The NFL network is going down hill more and more. Now they have added another one of the worst analyst, Theisman, to go with the clowns Neon and Coke Head.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Not surprising. I'm not going to argue that we're a better team without VJack and McNeill.

I think we'll go 12-4 or 11-5 because of our insanely weak schedule, and near the end of the year we'll be in the 5-7 range in power rankings.....its all about getting hot in the playoffs for me.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Not Surprised

I'm not surprised at all that the media has no clue about this team. Sports journalism has become tabloid journalism, so they are only looking at juicy stories, like LT moving on and high profile holdouts. But I for one have no doubt that this team is going to be better than last year's team. Our running game will be vastly improved with Matthews. Our D-line is filled with gamers who suffered through a ton of injuries last year. As long as they aren't decimated by injuries this year, I expect the D-line to be one of the team's biggest and best surprises. Burnett is going to tear it up this year at ILB, now that his neck injury issues are behind him. And the secondary is certainly better with Cro starting in Cason's place.

The only real concern I have is our pass rush. We need Merriman to be 100%. He does not have to be the same player he was three years ago. He just needs to be solid. And English has got to step up. I think Rivera has proven that he can come up with schemes that mask some of our pass rush deficiencies, but those are only going to work to a point. At some point, our primary pass rushers are going to have to win their one on one matchups and get to the QB.

I would certainly feel better about this team with VJ and McNeill here, but even without them, I firmly believe that this team has a chance to be better than last year's team.

5. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    To be fair even I'm interested in the Jets/Ravens. Jet's are sort of question mark with a lot of upside and some swagger. Ravens were putting it together on offense and defense last year. I'm going to be watching.

Also, KC? Who the fack cares about KC?

You wonder how KC got the nod for the first Monday night of the year.

6. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I mean its not surprising but come on. Last year we were ranked like outside the top 10 and top 5 until after we had won at least like 8 and 6 and then 8 consec i think. At which point they started hyping us as if sd being good was something that new...

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I can beleive it. Holdouts and fact we have NOBODY DBrow fillin the missing gap at LT vs from what I can tell ATL is not missing any Ts.

Also when you start 3 seasons no better than 2-3 THAT will get noticed by ESPN idiots. Same can be said when you rattle of a 8-11 game winning streek. Chargers are progressivly getting more notice/beleivers each season that passes. Id deffinatly like to jus end it all and put a cap on it this year. Lets get in the club already. Were already late to the party Divisionwise...

8. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I've never read ESPN the Magazine, and now likely never will.

9. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    The Colts ahead of the Saints???

The Dolphins, and the Patriots ahead of the Bengals???? WTF ???

The Falcons ahead of the Chargers??? WTF???

I don't think the Colts are really all that good IMO. Or at least not as good as the media makes them out to be.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Ima do my own power rankings before week 1.

1. Colts - Peyton Manning is a machine.
    2. Saints - Excellent on offense, and I believe a top 10 defense as well.
    3. Packers - Will outscore everyone, defense is above average.
    4. Ravens - Love the offense, love the front 7, but I think their secondary is a huge problem.
    5. Falcons - Lots of weapons including a healthy MT. Average D.
    6. Chargers - Mathews will open up the offense taking pressure off Rivers. I think the defense is way underrated.
    7. Cowboys - I think they could be a top 3 defense this year. Offense needs O-line help badly.
    8. Steelers - Will rise to #1 in defense again this year. Big Ben will return and move the chains enough to win 10-11 games.
    9. Bengals - Solid offense. Solid defense. Not much more to say.
    10. Patriots - Could be top 3 in scoring offense. But one of the worst defenses I've ever seen....ever.
    11. Jets - Lots of talent everywhere but QB. I think losing Faneca, Richardson, and Thomas Jones could blow up in their face.
    12. Texans - High powered offense can score with the best. Defense is average or below.
    13. Vikings - Boom or Bust...its up to Favre. Could see them as high as 5 or as low as 20.
    14. Giants - Being healthy on defense could get them into the playoffs this year.
    15. 49ers - Love their defense, love their run game, hate their QB.
    16. Dolphins - Not a believer in Henne, but they are a gritty tough team that could win 10 games or 5 and I wouldn't be surprised.
    17. Eagles - Jury is out on Kolb. Defense is solid. O-line looks sketch.
    18. Titans - Great run game, great O-line, average QB, subpar defense.
    19. Panthers - I like this team a lot if Matt Moore can be better than average.
    20. Redskins - I don't know what to think. New QB, new coaches, new schemes.
    21. Bears - Cutler could actually throw 30 picks this year. But they have some star power on defense.
    22. Lions - I like this team to take a big step forward into 6-8 win range.
    23. Jaguars - Blah...boring.
    24. Broncos - Surprisingly solid on defense. But they don't have the weapons or the talent to score more than 17ppg.
    25. Chiefs - Defense is awful, offense has weapons but no O-line and ?s at QB.
    26. Raiders - Rancid O-line, no WRs, terrible coaching, average QB....but a solid defense. They'll win 5 games.
    27. Seahawks - Something tells me this could be a trap team. But on paper they arn't good.
    28. Cardinals - Lost Kurt Warner, lost all respect.
    29. Browns - Snoooze.
    30. Rams - Bradford will be lucky if he has all his limbs by week 10.
    31. Bucanneers - Terrible defense, young INT prone QB, no running game.
    32. Bills - Worst team I've ever seen on paper. Only positive thing to say is CJ Spiller looks like he could be great one.

Tougher than it looks, and open to criticism I'm sure.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Power rankings mean nothing, "On any Sunday baby". The Bolts have done nothing to earn respect in the NFL, that's something they need to take. Pound teams when they're down and never look back. Acquire a mean and nasty streak, become known as a team to fear then they'll be onto something. This nazy-panzy be nice guys isn't going to cut it. Folks love mean, nasty and brutal take the respect by force and no one can dispute it. Cheat, lie, steal, I don't care how they win the Lombardi as long as there are maimed and broken teams in their wake.

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Falcons have a more stable line, up and coming QB, a running game, a top TE, and a #1 WR. Enough said. We have too many questions right now to deserve a higher ranking.

13. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    COlts get run all over by texans....

BUt looks like pats were beter than bengals at least today.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

Pats defense is not good at all, they have ZERO passrush, and nobody worth a damn in the secondary. The Bengals offense just took too long to get adjusted to the pace of the regular season, but by the 2nd half they really started to expose the Pats weak secondary.

15. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Falcons looked awful against Pittsburgh. Their Head Coach should be fired for giving up with 38 seconds left in regulation, hoping to try his chances at OT. Look what happened... Pittsburgh scored a TD on their first play after Atlanta punted. :icon_rofl:

16. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I think we’ll be better as well, we’ll be far more balanced on offense and that will give opponents alot to prepare for, and to worry about.

Merriman’s health is a concern, but with Larry English a year more experienced and the various corner blitzes that Rivera calls for, I think we’ll do fine in pressuring opposing QBs and forcing quicker throws & more turnovers this year.

I believe it was us that got the nod, not KC. (much like last season) We had to play somebody, and divisional rivalries are usually more interesting.

They also have a loss at the hands of the Steelers, without their starting QB.

I prefer our QB, TE & entire WR corps to what the Falcons can offer, and with Ryno in the mix & Tolbert getting more carries, our running game may be as good or even better than the "dirty birds" when all is said & done.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    That game annoyed me. I was counting on Pitt going 2-2 without Big Ben, but it seems their defense is going to be #1 in the NFL again.......pretty much proving why Philip Rivers is the better QB.

18. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    The Chargers will continue to get no respect as long as they keep choking in the playoffs, and I am OK with that.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    1. Colts

LOST

LMFAO

Power rankings blow

20. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Wouldn't surprise me if the Chiefs did win the AFC WEST.