1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Week 1 PSeason Seahucks v CHARGERS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Maybe im impatient, but I cant find enuff info on the upcomping Exhibition games like matchups and roster spot battles/changes.

Well I found something. Still need more input.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-8938491

This Thursday, August 11, the NFL preseason begins with a spate of games from around the country. The season-that-almost-wasn't finds the Seattle Seahawks in Southern California to take on the San Diego Chargers.

Preseason games are always a bit of a mish-mash, with coaches trying different combinations and ideas to either support the path they are on or suggest changes that might be needed. This year, the uncertain nature of preseason matchups is even more obvious with the shortened preparation time. With less time to make early decisions, I think teams will be going for what they want early. If that's true, we should get games more closely resembling regular season clashes.

All eyes on the QB

Seattle fans will be looking at changes on offense and defense, new kicker Jeff Reed, and drawing the most focus - new 'Hawk quarterback Tarvaris Jackson(notes). Of all the free agent pickups Seattle made, his is the biggest open question. If Jackson can help Seattle grow an offensive attack predicated on a great running game and supported by a dangerous pass threat, they become the team to beat in the NFC West.

Fellow ex-Viking Sidney Rice(notes) will be there to help Jackson with pass completions, and new Seattle tight end Zach Miller, along with John Carlson(notes), add potency to the run game and can also catch. Jackson will be taking snaps behind a young offensive line that got a big addition to the cast in the person of Robert Gallery(notes).

It's hard to say just how much of Jackson and the other big-name new Seahawks we will see in the first preseason game, but I'll wager it'll be more than would happen in a normal year. I expect the preseason to attract more attention this year.

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    NFL Preseason Odds at YouWager: Seahawks at Chargers

August 8, 2011 – 3:46 am

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS at SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
    NFL Preseason Game
    Kickoff: Thursday, 8:00 p.m. EDT
    Line: San Diego -4.5, Total: 37
    The Seattle Seahawks kick off their 2011 NFL preseason schedule with plenty of new faces when they visit the San Diego Chargers on Thursday night.
    Seattle went 8-4 SU over the past three preseasons, but just 1-3 in Pete Carroll’s first preseason last year. However, they have a backup quarterback who’s been strong in preseason action, as Charlie Whitehurst coming off the bench gives them a major advantage in preseason games. According to YouWager the NFL pick is SEATTLE.
    The Seahawks have a brand a new starting quarterback in Tarvaris Jackson and a couple of new top receivers for him in former Vikings teammate Sidney Rice and former Oakland tight end Zach Miller. The team also has a new offensive coordinator in Darrell Bevell, who coached Jackson and Rice as Minnesota’s offensive coordinator from 2006-10. They don’t have a major transition to make.
    The Chargers kept the core of their 2010 roster pretty much the same, so they won’t have to play their starters for extended reps. San Diego is 6-6 SU in the preseason over the past three years, including 1-3 last year. Billy Volek and rookie Scott Tolzien are likely to see the majority of action at quarterback behind Philip Rivers.
    These NFL teams met at Seattle in Week 3 in 2010. The Seahawks won 27-20 despite being outgained 518-271, behind two Leon Washington kickoff return touchdowns in the second half.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Beat dat ***.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    As always, all I care about is that no one gets injured too badly.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No injuries? Actually, I'd kinda enjoy seeing Pete Carroll get run the flock over. :cool:

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Not much on Seahawks RRs either.

Aug. 08, 2011 9:26 p.m. - by John Boyle - Branch open to moving on defensive line
    Recently signed DL Alan Branch will likely start at DT but will also be a backup at DE, and moving around is fine with him. "I’m really comfortable all over the line, so if he wants me to play any technique, honestly it don’t matter," he said. "I’ll be on a wide receiver in a three-point stance if he wants.” Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 08, 2011 9:22 p.m. - by John Boyle - Shortened prep time not an excuse to RG Moffitt
    Rookie RG John Moffitt says the lack of preparation time isn’t an excuse he and the rest of the young O-line can use in Thursday’s game. “Blaming that is just not a luxury we have. The time is the time we have, and we’ve got to get things straight as soon as we can.” Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 08, 2011 9:07 p.m. - by John Boyle - Youthful mistakes of OL frustrating to C Unger
    C Max Unger admitted that there have been growing pains for Seattle’s young OL: “It’s slow. It’s just frustrating. You want to get off the ball and just start rocking, but we’re thinking a lot and it’s slowing us down.” Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 08, 2011 9:04 p.m. - by John Boyle - Limited prep time will impact performance
    It’s hard to imagine Seattle or any other team playing Thursday will look sharp in its first preseason game. With limited preparation time, particularly for free agents who started practicing last week, there have been numerous miscues, including a stretch of three straight plays with flags on Monday. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 08, 2011 9:00 p.m. - by John Boyle - Rookie LB in position for playing time
    Rookie LB Malcolm Smith, a seventh-round pick, won’t likely start, but his coverage skills could allow him to earn playing time right away on passing downs. Monday he nearly intercepted a pass after stepping in front of a running back, then later he broke up a pass after staying stride-for-stride with TE Zach Miller. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 06, 2011 5:25 p.m. - by John Boyle - Transformed DE Konz developing as pass rusher
    Jameson Konz, who moved from TE to DE earlier this week, continues to show promise as a pass rusher. Konz still has an uphill battle to make the roster, but the fact that he’s having an impact is a testament to the athleticism that made him attractive to Seattle in last year’s draft. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 06, 2011 5:19 p.m. - by John Boyle - Carroll has praise for rookie QB Portis
    Pete Carroll heaped a lot of praise on undrafted rookie QB Josh Portis, and noted that he’s seen Portis play since he was in high school in Los Angeles. Carroll said the rookie has a lot to learn, but thinks he could have a future in Seattle. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 06, 2011 5:11 p.m. - by John Boyle - False starts draw a lap around the field
    A new sight at training camp this season is an old-school form of punishment. When players were flagged for false starts Saturday, they had to go jog a lap around the field. Among those punished were C Max Unger, LT Russell Okung and TE Zach Miller. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 06, 2011 5:05 p.m. - by Craig Morgan - Safety Wilson injures elbow
    SS Adrian Wilson left practice with what appeared to be an elbow injury. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 06, 2011 5:03 p.m. - by John Boyle - 'Veteran' Chancellor leader in secondary
    Despite being in his second year, 23-year old Kam Chancellor is the oldest safety on Seattle’s roster. Chancellor, who is expected to take on a starting role this season, has emerged as a leader in a very young secondary, DC Gus Bradley said. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 06, 2011 4:56 p.m. - by John Boyle - NBA guard Robinson shows at Seahawks camp
    A few days after NBA guard Nate Robinson, a Seattle native, and Pete Carroll had a playful back and forth on Twitter about Robinson trying out, Robinson was at training camp. Robinson, who played CB for a season in college, was only there as a spectator, however, and not in uniform. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 06, 2011 4:53 p.m. - by John Boyle - WR Lockette steals spotlight from Rice
    For the first time in a few days, the most spectacular catch of the day didn’t belong to WR Sidney Rice. Instead, it was undrafted rookie Ricardo Lockette stealing the spotlight, making a leaping catch over the back of 6-4 CB Brandon Browner. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 06, 2011 4:51 p.m. - by John Boyle - FB Robinson's weight gain all about stamina
    Pete Carroll noted that FB Michael Robinson got his weight up to 240 pounds in the offseason to better handle the rigors of the position. Robinson played closer to 220 pounds last year, which was his first moving from RB to FB. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 06, 2011 4:47 p.m. - by John Boyle - DE Brock sees a Pro Bowl in his future
    DE Raheem Brock, after his first practice since re-signing with the Seahawks, said he plans on a big follow up to his nine-sack season in 2010. I need to make a Pro Bowl. I feel like I’ve done everything else. I’ve been to a couple of Super Bowls, I’ve won a Super Bowl.” Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 05, 2011 9:22 p.m. - by John Boyle - DE Bryant gets three-day rest
    DE Red Bryant, who is coming back from a knee injury that ended his 2010 season, has missed three straight days of practice. Pete Carroll said Bryant hasn't suffered a setback but that the team is just being cautious and giving him a break after he went hard in the first few days of camp. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 05, 2011 9:13 p.m. - by John Boyle - DT Cole and CB Lewis not yet close to returning
    Pete Carroll has not said which players -- if any -- will end up on the PUP list, but he did say Friday that DT Colin Cole (ankle) and CB Roy Lewis (knee) are both still a ways out. WR Deon Butler (broken leg) is also not expected back in the near future. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 05, 2011 9:05 p.m. - by John Boyle - Obomanu out of camp for personal reasons
    WR Ben Obomanu has missed the last two days of training camp. Pete Carroll said the absence is because of a death in the family. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 05, 2011 8:59 p.m. - by John Boyle - Undrafted rookies Portis and Lockette showing their stuff
    Two undrafted rookies who continue to impress are QB Josh Portis and speedy WR Ricardo Lockette. On Friday, they combined for a pair of touchdowns in a red-zone drill featuring the No. 3 offense and defense. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 05, 2011 8:58 p.m. - by John Boyle - Injured CB Thurmond should be back soon
    CB Walter Thurmond, who will compete for a starting spot, has missed most of training camp with an ankle sprain. Pete Carroll said Thurmond should be back in two or three days and that the injury is not a high ankle sprain. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 05, 2011 8:57 p.m. - by John Boyle - DT Mebane back at NT
    DT Brandon Mebane is moving back to nose tackle, where he played his first two seasons, from the three-technique DT where he spent the past two. Early in training camp, he appears comfortable in his old position, frequently getting good penetration into the backfield. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 05, 2011 8:56 p.m. - by John Boyle - WR Rice is creating camp highlights
    WR Sidney Rice has been impressive in his first two practices. On Friday, he made a leaping catch over the middle, holding onto the ball with one arm while being spun in the air by CB Marcus Trufant. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 05, 2011 8:54 p.m. - by John Boyle - Cool and cloudy at training camp is a good thing
    Friday’s practice was by far the most intense and physical of training camp. Pete Carroll said an unseasonably cool and cloudy day probably helped ramp up the energy level for tired players. “Today was a great day for the players.” Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 05, 2011 8:47 p.m. - by John Boyle - QB Jackson has his favorite target
    In his first two practices, QB Tarvaris Jackson is clearly more comfortable throwing the ball to WR Sidney Rice, his teammate in Minnesota, than anyone else. And based on the catches Rice has made, it’s easy to see why. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 05, 2011 8:42 p.m. - by John Boyle - Chancellor runs INT streak to three practices
    Second-year SS Kam Chancellor, who is expected to step into the starting lineup this season, is best known as a big hitter, but he’s also showing improved ball skills with an interception in each of the last three practices. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 05, 2011 8:01 p.m. - by John Boyle - LB Smith making the most of his shot at an NFL career
    Rookie LB Malcolm Smith, a seventh-round pick, continues to make a strong case for making the team. He spent time with the first-team offense before free agent Leroy Hill returned Thursday. Now with the backups, Smith had an impressive interception Friday. Seahawks RapidReports

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I like to think we have got our injuries for the start of the season over with already.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Why don't you like PC?

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think he's an arrogant little **** who high-tailed it out of USC when things started heating up & left his guys to reap the BS that he was a part of. If I were a Seahawk I wouldn't trust the little prick as far as I could throw him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    http://sportsnewssouthwest.com/inde...reseason-opener-on-espn&catid=12:pro&Itemid=3
    This will be the 11th time the Seahawks and Chargers have met in the preseason, with Seattle holding a 6-4 advantage. The preseason series began with three games played from 1976-78 with Seattle winning twice. Seattle also took two of three games when play resumed from 2002-04. Seattle has traveled to San Diego five of the last six preseasons and in its last matchup in the 2009 preseason opener, Seattle defeated San Diego, 20-14, in Jim Mora’s debut as head coach.
    In the regular season, these former AFC West rivals, have met 48 times and Seattle’s 26-22 record against San Diego is the best against any other AFC West team.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Aug. 10, 2011 3:42 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Rivers expected to get about 12 plays
    QB Philip Rivers is slotted to play about a dozen snaps in Thursday’s preseason game against Seattle. Coach Norv Turner said the number of snaps the other projected starting veterans will play will vary depending on how much playing time they need to get ready for the season. Chargers RapidReports

Aug. 10, 2011 3:35 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - RB Mathews expects to play Thursday
    RB Ryan Mathews, who missed practices earlier in the week, practiced for the second day in a row on Wednesday and he expects to play in Thursday’s preseason game. “Coach is going to tell me how many snaps I am going to get and I am going to play those snaps to my best,” Mathews said. Chargers RapidReports

Very intersting and I was callin about 2 series for PR.

12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Aug. 09, 2011 9:50 p.m. - by John Boyle - Carroll undecided on which FAs will play Thursday
    Other than QB Tarvaris Jackson, who will start, Pete Carroll said he is still making up his mind on which of the team’s newly signed free agents will play Thursday. Seattle’s preseason opener comes only a week after free agents were allowed to begin practicing. Seahawks RapidReports

ARE you serious?? Pete Failoll.

Few Things to watch out for from Seattle.

Aug. 09, 2011 9:59 p.m. - by John Boyle - FS Thomas still a headache for QBs
    FS Earl Thomas, who led the team in interceptions as a rookie last season, continues to show the coverage skills of a cornerback. In Tuesday’s practice, Thomas had a pair of interceptions, including one where he read a slant, jumped the route and picked off QB Tarvaris Jackson. Seahawks RapidReports
    Aug. 09, 2011 9:55 p.m. - by John Boyle - RB Washington appears to be all the way back from injury
    RB Leon Washington, who was still rehabbing a broken leg at this time last year, provided another reminder of just how far he has come. When LB Malcolm Smith came into the backfield on a blitz, Washington was there to meet him with a block that sent the rookie flying onto his back. Seahawks RapidReports

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It will be very plain Jane, at least vanilla has some flavor.