1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Week 2 Predictions from SI.com

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Critter, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
  2. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Now that is fuuny:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

Ravens run riot

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    It's also a backhanded slap in the face to the Chargers, IMO.

"The Chargers aren't really good, the Raiders really suck.".

I don't think the Raiders are as bad as all that. Yes, they're not a good team, but we made them look like the worst team in the history of the world. I think the Chargers have the ability to dominate on defense now, which is not something we've always had.

4. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23

People need to stop reading into every little thing.

The painful fact is the Chargers should have hung 40 on the Raiders in that game.

Talk to Marty about that one.

5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Peter King yet again shows why he is GAWD :icon_beerbang:

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You beat me to the punch. It's like saying, "If the Chargers can beat the Turds by 27, than a real team like the Ravens will beat them by 48."

The Ravens hype is getting seriously tired. I really hope we go in there and smack them in the mouth in a couple weeks. The madness needs to stop. The Ravens are the third best team in their own division.

7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It's really not every little thing as much as it is everything. Every single analysis of the Bolts/Turds game I have seen has spent 5X longer talking about how bad the Turds are than how good the Chargers are. Merriman was punked for Defensive Player of the Week by Ray "Don't make me get my friends to shank you" Lewis, when Merriman, Joey Porter and John Abraham all had better games.

I don't even think Merriman was our most dominant pass rusher the other night. Luis Castillo was. But instead of recognizing how good of a team we have, they just hype one guy, giving him all the credit. It's easier to dismiss their awful prognostications by saying they underestimated one player rather than 53.

8. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Seriously man, so freakin` what.

My God. The things people get in a twist about.

When the Chargers make it back to the playoffs and actually win we will get all the respect we can handle.

Until then it is all hyperbole and doesn't man a goddam thing.

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm just sick of the same teams getting all the hyperbole year after year. I know it doesn't mean anything in the long run, but it pizzes me off that these writers are paid for their misinformed and bias opinions. Even when they suck, the Turds are talked about more than we are. That pizzes me off.

Seriously, man, why do you care so much that I care so much? I don't tell you that you should feel the same way about it that I do. I just express my frustration.

10. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I actually don't think you have to "read into" anything to reach that conclusion. It's pretty obvious people think the Chargers benefitted from playing a horrific team. Seriously, bro...I don't hear people saying, "the Chargers took advantage of a disorganied Raider team," or "the Raiders struggled against a terrific defense." I hear "the Raiders may be the worst team in the history of the world."

Yes, I know it's probably tongue-in-cheek, but the only thing I've heard nationally about the MNF game, besides the fact that Merriman is a beast, is how pathetic the Raiders are. I don't hear anyone calling the Buccaneers the worst team in the history of the world after losing at home to the Ravens 27-0. They are giving all the credit to the Ravens and their defense. The fact that 20 of the Ravens 27 points were set up by turnovers that ended up with the ball in the Bucs' red-zone doesn't seem to be important to them. The Ravens won because the Ravens are back. The Chargers won because they're a pretty good team and the Raiders suck.

And I'm not in a twist about it. I'm just making an observation. I really couldn't care less what pundits have to say about us, but I do think it's interesting what the national perception of that game is.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    It's not that I care about you specifically.

It just gets old when SD fans consistently whine out the respect factor.

It's earned, not given.

Plain and simple, we need to be a force in the playoffs.

Until then we will never reach the level of respect or conversation of the Colts, Pats and Steelers of the league.

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I think it's a Pavlovian response. People have seen the Ravens have a dominant defense before. They forget that the Ravens have also had a dominant defense and been 6-10. They've seen Steve McNair guide a team to a Superbowl. They forget that McNair is one solid hit away from being injured yet again and that it's been quite awhile since either the Ravens or Steve McNair were contenders.

They haven't seen the Chargers win with dominant defense before, so they assume Monday Night must be the result of the Raiders being pathetic.

And who knows? They might be right.

• Like Like x 1
  13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It's given more freely to some teams than others. If the Turds had won 27-0 on monday night, we would have heard nothing but "the Silver and Black are back," despite their last two and a half decades of ineptitude.

We have earned more respect than we receive. When we do receive praise, it's given grudgingly and retracted at the first sign of trouble.

I just get sick of how historical conceptions shape current opinions. History is just that.

Since they won the SB in 2000, the Ravens have won an average of 1 more game than us per year. Yet every offseason they are touted as a legit SB contender, and the Bolts are dismissed as an also-ran.

14. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    The whole "No respect" routine has always seemed to me like whining.

You put it about as succinctly as it could be put. Post season success is the watermark of respect in this league.

Post Season is where it's at.

15. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    You hit the nail on the head yourself.

Since they won the SB.

We haven't even won a playoff game.

The trend will continue until that changes.

16. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Note to Chiefs:
    Starting the season 0-2 in the AFC West sucks...
    Signed,
    ~2005 Chargers

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Waaaaaaaaaah!!
    Signed The IwoWHINEian

18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sorry, but I think perceptions of a team should be based on current players, not past success. This is the same mentality that causes people to predict a Turd victory on MNF because the Turds have a "tremendous MNF record." Their historical record on MNF had **** to do with the game on monday. Not to mention, in the last 20 years, the Turds record on MNF is 7-15.

I guess what annoys me isn't so much that a pundit touts one team and not another. It's that they are completely misinformed and don't even take the time to learn the facts about our team. I think it's tremendously disrespectful. And as silly as it sounds, I take that personally.

19. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    They're giving them 3 points against Bal. That's 3 more than they put up against us:icon_shrug:

:unsure:

20. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    We will have to agree to disagree.

I could care less how our team looks on paper.

Win in the playoffs and you will impress everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Some of you guys are overreacting. King put up that 51 as a joke. Besides, Oakland will be on the road. Besides that, Billick isn’t going to sit on a 13-point lead like Marty did. Oh, and the Ravens shut out a much better Tampa Bay team in week 1 too.

This is not a slap in the face against us at all.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    That's awesome. Peter King is one of my favorite sports writers.

You know the funniest part about his prediction, that the Raiders will score, at all.

:lol:

23. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    We are just 2 seasons removed from a 4-12 season earning us the #1 pick in the draft (which we had the dubious honor of having TWICE in 4 years) and a 10 year playoff drought (not to mention being the laughing stock of the League)...
    Since then, we had ONE GREAT SEASON (12-4) with a last place schedule which we chocked in the playoffs and one mediocre season (9-7) where we were the best team not to make the playoffs...
    It takes a while to earn respect...

• Like Like x 1
  24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I know. I get that. But the Dallas Cowboys have been to the playoffs once in eight years. They have not won a playoff game since 1996. But the pundits could not jump on their bandwagon fast enough this offseason.:icon_shrug:

25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
  26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Dallas has Super Bowl trophies, they earned the nation respect years ago. When we finally get our this year the world will take notice, and when we keep winning them, then we'll truly be 1334.

27. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I just don't buy that argument. History is history.

The Turds have not won a Lombardi in 25 years, and yet "the Raider mystique" still influences how people perceive them. To me, this is a lazy and illogical approach to analyzing football.

It's just like the way people see the Raider nation as a passionate bunch of dedicated fans, when in reality, they've barely been able to sell out a game a year since returning to oakland, and "the nation" is comprised of drunk hooligans who beat up cops, women and anyone else who gets in their way when their team gets dominated.

• Like Like x 1
  28. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    I think the "Parcells factor is a big part of it too...dude has won 2 Super Bowls and taken another to the Bowl (New England)...
    Until Marty does something similar, we get little respect...

• Like Like x 2
  29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Classic, thanks bro.

• Like Like x 1
  30. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    From the Charlotte Observer: