1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 3 Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
    An ugly loss with head-scratchingly poor 4th quarter play calling.

Pros:
    Weddle - one of thee few play makers on this pitiful D. 8 tackles.
    Woodhead - possibly thee best offseason pickup.

Cons:
    Whisenhunt - lets run it 3 times in the 4th and give the ball back to the Titans. Went ultra conservative in the 4th. Norval Turner possessed him.
    Defense - Can we get one please. Leave most of them in Nashville.
    Rivers - Know your roll and shut your mouth! Stop yelling at the Referees!

Game balls: Locker, you won the game for your team.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    time to call Cleveland and offer a 2nd for Josh Gordon

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Pros:
    Woodhead - showing some real good skills
    Brown - First rushing TD in over 350 plays
    Harris - All things being equal had a pretty solid day

Cons:
    Defense: I know it's paper thin but you give up a 92yd drive to Jake bleepin Locker? Really?
    Liuget/Reyes: They were hyped all off-season and they've done exactly JACK
    The Secondary: Their starters aren't good, their depth isn't good, they're not good period

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I'm not in much of a mood for "Pro" comments, when a loss still stings...

but Rivers has taken much better care of the ball this year...
    (partially because coaches have him playing within himself, but also because he isn't
    getting tackled as much, which had led to a lot of fumbles the last two or three seasons)

and the overall reduction of turnovers has kept this team in every game into the final seconds.

Right now, PR's passer rating is 116.2, second only to Manning's (temporarily) ridiculous 131.0
    Matt Ryan is 3rd @ 107.9, and Rodgers is 4th @ 105.1.

I'm not the kind to take much comfort in stats when the team is not winning...
    but for those of us who genuinely wondered if Rivers had permanently lost his edge,
    these numbers kind of quantify the argument that he's still a pretty damned good QB.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  5. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100
    I'm over Whisenhunt. Has some sick series 2-3 times a game and then goes into the tank. Did the same **** in Arizona. It's like a thing that half the coaches in the league do.. up 4 points? run the ball and punt.

Pros:
    Rushing Touchdown
    Woodhead

Cons:
    Defense
    Front Office for lack of depth and not getting Butler inactivated on time
    Coaching
    River's being a baby at a bad time
    Maybe one day a DB will look back for the ball

I'm ******* pissed

• Like Like x 1
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,722
    Just pretend I copy/pasted last weeks pros and cons.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +100
    What Conc said.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Pros: The Bolts could be 3-0.

Cons: They aren't.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Cons: The above mentioned. I will add the running game. They do not have the personnel to run out the clock. There is no back that they can count on to extend drives.

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Cons:
    Tackling
    Coverage
    Yet another bitch fest from Rivers followed by yet another 4th quarter choke job
    Pagano's response to the opponent's 2 min. offense
    Inability to gameplan for a QB that can run
    Whizzer ******** his pants when the injury gods handed him last year's OL

Pros:
    Mathews taking and giving punishment
    Woodhead being Woodhead
    Ladarius Green looking like a WR

11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,500
    Pros: Good teams don't beat themselves

Cons: The Chargers aren't one of those teams

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Con: Defense.

What defense?

13. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Pros:
    --El Green starting to show something
    --Woodhead (should be the starter)
    --Royal, just a stud.
    --Me, being able to release some bitterness here.

Cons:
    --Pussyfoot last offensive drive. Could have put the game away. Didn't try to throw the ball when we've
    got Gates, Royal, Brown, Green, Brown, etc. Effing annoying.
    --Rivers acting like a prima donna. You STAY and watch your team. Running into the tunnel before
    halftime made me drop him down a notch on the respect ladder. The constant whining to the refs doesn't help.
    --Worst defense in the league (or pretty damn near it)
    --Calls going against the Titans and they still managed to win.
    --Not being able to hold a lead. (this team needs an exorcism).

14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Well the fact we lost our whole left side of the offensive line, without our starting RT, and made Tennessee use up all their timeouts, I had no problem with what we did.

The problem was defense not being able to close out the game. I really hope we get Butler and Te'o back next week. And what the heck is going on with Brandon Taylor? I want him active on game days, and please move back Marcus Gilchrist to CB.

15. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    Did anybody think that Justin Hunter pushed off on Crezdon Butler, I did. Does anybody think that Marcus Ghilchrist is an idiot, I do. Should of won

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Hunter definitely pushed off...you could see it from every single angle.

But:
    A) It was a light push
    B) Offensive PI is rarely called
    C) Officials generally prefer not to make high-profile, game-changing calls in situations like that
    D) All the PI calls on the Titans, already, probably made them a little less likely to call a big penalty there, for a slight infraction.
    E) I think a few guys in here saw it, but felt it was too minor to complain about...some might call them "Homers"

17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,175
    That's got to be the most frustrating thing, being on the team for a week and because of injuries you get put out to defend on one of the most critical plays of the game. Not a lot of prep time. Maybe they should have put Gates out there to defend against that tower.

18. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    1275843_591943224185703_507875556_o.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Ok. We lost our OL. So what exactly were we trying to run behind when our OL is betterat pass blocking than run blocking when at their best?

20. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Pros:

Rivers looks great in this offense (He looks like and idiot bitching at the refs though)
    Mathews didn't fumble!
    Ladarius Green making a spectacular catch down the seem
    Woodhead running, catching, moving chains, just what we thought we got when we signed him
    Harris playing a damn solid game at RT
    Novack just keeps making everything
    At least were not the 49ers. If we had the quality of talent and looked that bad after 3 games i'd be ready to open a vein, at least we know we have ****** depth and we're a year or two away from being there

Cons:

Play calling at the end was stupid, Rivers is your stud, put it in his hands to win the game
    What the **** is Crezdon Butler doing on the field during the most important drive by the Titans? Oh yah, our depth in the secondary is just terrible
    What happened to Scifres?? One of the best punters in football and all of a sudden he's good for 1 or 2 shanks a game?
    Blocked 38 yard field goal??? I understand them getting a hand on a 53 yarder, but letting Pollard free at your kicker???
    Cox wasn't terrible, but the rest of the secondary should be ashamed
    What happened to our up and coming D-Line? They have looked like **** 3 games straight.
    Injuries... I mean we have had the ********* luck over the past few years. Not sure anyone thinks we lose this game with Wright, Butler, Fluker, and Floyd in the game

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Do you not remember last year all the turnovers that were caused because of weak OL play? You lost 2 starters, and had to shuffle the entire OL in the later stages of the 4th quarter.. Clary, I repeat Clary was playing RT. You want Rivers throwing the ball? Strip sack or interception could easily occur due to pressure, and it puts Tennessee in position to win the game.

You run the ball, make Tennessee use up all their timeouts, chew up the clock, punt it deep int their end, and get a stop and the game is over. Tennessee has no timeouts, need a TD to win and is 94 yards away, 2 minutes on the clock to getting a W.

Bottom line is defense didn't get it done, and the offense/special teams didn't do their job when they were inside the 5 and had a 38 yard field goal to make before half.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    It was a light push off. Could of been called but the arm wasn't extended. Either way, we had no business putting Tennessee in a position to even attempt that play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Yes. Yes I want Rivers throwing it. We have no running game. Running the ball 3 times is the equivalent of taking a knee 3 times especially behind a patchwork line. Are you telling me that a two step drop, and quick pass down the LOS would get Rivers strip sacked? Not bloody likely.

24. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +185
    Games like these are BIG reason we have Rolaids and Tums and why some people get ulcers.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    Pro: Opening drive
    Half pro/half con: Most of the rest of the game
    Con: Last offensive drive when one 3rd down conversion would have sealed the deal, but Whizenhunt decides to channel Marty Schottenheimer hand the ball over to San Diego's famous "Bend and Break" defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    With what receivers? Because Vincent Brown and Keenan Allen were shut down my Jason McCourty and Alterraun Verner. They combined for 3 receptions and 7 yards. What was working for us in the pass game, was taking more than a 2 step drop.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    We have no tight ends? No receiver wearing #11? Woodhead cant catch the ball? No Brown on a swing route?Running 3 times in a row was attempted multiple times prior to that drive and worked exactly ... never. The offenses strength is the pass. The 2 step drop and throw along the LOS is a pass play that kills blitzes, no we haven't used it this season (that I saw), my point is we could, and should use it in situations like that drive.

If you disagree so be it, I respect your opinion though I strongly disagree with it. Relying on this D to have a game winning stop is far more idiotic than throwing the ball. The Coaches made the wrong call, perhaps it is hindsight 20/20 but I was saying the same thing yesterday on that drive, the posts are a mater of record now.

Let me illustrate some stats to highlight my opinion.

We threw the ball 24 times yesterday. We ran the ball 27 times.
    Of those attempts we got 10 first downs by the pass, 5 by the run. We ran the ball more than pass but still have a 2 to 1 first down ratio for the passing game.
    Our average run was 3.8 yards, the average pass was 6.7.
    Browns rushing TD yesterday was their first in almost a year. We are not a running team, and I am sure that the Chargers organization has no faith that RM24 is their long term answer at RB. They (the Coaches) have no faith in the run, I am convinced of that, so why run it 3 downs on such a critical series?
    The D has one turnover so far this season I believe. I know we could have had one yesterday, but didn't. Story of our D, so why rely on the unit to win the game?

To only run (6 times out of 6 plays on the drive in question) at the end, behind the patchwork OL you point out was giving up in my honest opinion. Nothing mixed up the D can just stack the LOS and stop them, which they did assisted by the holding call against Ohrnberger.

As I have said before, to rely on this D to make the game winning stop was idiotic, what I consider to be a foolish decision by the coaches. We have the worst D in the league, there is no reason to put your faith in this unit. They have lost key players and frankly I think (just my gut feel) McCoy is probably losing faith in the defensive scheme all together.

The Chargers need everything to go their way to win. Be it depth, the curse of AJ, injuries, scheme, talent, karma, or some ethereal negative Chargers energy who knows, but in all likelihood we will be the worst team in the AFC West this season. Everything going their way to me also means the Coaches have to be aggressive. They cant sit back and rely on lucky breaks, they have to help the team make the breaks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    On that futile 3rd-down snap before the final punt (in the Charger's playbook, called "punt of doom") if they absolutely, positively had to run the ball, and they were bound and determined to take the game out PR's hands, why not have Ronnie Brown line up behind center and run the wildcat? If they never practiced the wildcat, shame shame shame on them! Anything is better than the punt of doom.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    I am not sure, but if you review the play by play RM24 was not running poorly on the last real drive (the one that did not end in a follys highlight real).
    1st play: RM24 8 yards
    2nd play: RM24 1 yard
    3rd play: RM24 4 yards (first down)
    4th play: RM 24 4 yards
    5th play: Holding -10 yards
    6th play: LM33 7 yards
    7th play: RM 24 4 yards.

RM24 had a 4.2 yard per rush average on the last series of import.

My only real beef with this drive is there was absolutely nothing to make the Titans D honest. We never even really lined up in a passing formation. I see what folks like SuperCharger92 say about the OL being torn up etc. But our strength is the pass, I wish they would have at least attempted something to keep the Titans honest.

Water under the bridge, lets see if we can find a way to beat the Cowboys...

30. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    I agree with everything above Conc. I'll even go so far as to say RM had one of his better games, that I've seen, although I'm not sure if it shows in the stat line. If the Boltz had gone to the wildcat, he still could have got the ball or at least still been a threat. In all reality, a gadget play probably wasn't called for, but as you say they needed to do something in that series to keep the defense honest. Bottom line, shame on Whiz for passively dumping the game on the defense.

• Agree Agree x 1