1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 4 balls and birds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 30, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Balls - Donald Butler! To this point our DMVP
    Corey Liuget - playing like a beast the last 4 weeks.
    Ryan Mathews - Needs to get 20 carries a game.
    Atari Bigby - A nice pickup in the offseason.

Birds - Antoine Cason - You know a player played bad, when he gets a bird despite getting a pick in the game. Cason is by far the worst player on our defense.
    Norv Turner - A hair brianed game plan topped with the stupidity of trying to send Mathes a message by only giving him 2 carries in the 1st half. This game should have been a blowout by halftime, to the tune of 35 or 42 to nothing.
    Robert Meachem - Did not catch a single pass for the 2nd game this season, dude needs to GET OPEN!

I would give one to Rivers too, but I feel like Norv and the receivers were a bigger part of the problem today. Rivers needs to learn the intentional grounding rule, and stop throwing to blanketed receivers.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Balls
    Corey Liuget - man among small children against the Chiefs - he's becoming something special
    Vaughn Martin - another man among boys
    Donald Butler - this guy should be in the pro bowl
    Jackie Battle - You know he loved every moment of this
    Eric Weddle - fantastic game and play

Middle Ground
    Ryan Mathews - he played well after his time out, now don't fumble
    Jared Gaither - Great to see him back, but going from can't be on the field to starting in one week is questionable
    Rest of the OL - Played much better with Gaither, but that's a big complaint
    Antonine Cason/Quentin Jammer - some real good, some real bad too
    Philip Rivers - did very well today but you HAVE TO STOP throwing those poor balls

Busts
    Chargers in the third quarter - Please stop turtling when you are in the lead
    Robert Meachem - Another poor game, though the first incomplete to him should've been thrown deeper
    Jarrett Johnson - is he doing much out there? I don't see him accomplishing much

3. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Balls..
    Norv for giving way to Battle.
    Norv for using Mathews late in a lopsided game.
    Defense.. for becoming a dominate force.
    Novak,, Making 3 kicks after not being with the team for a few weeks.
    Keading for pulling his groin

Busts
    Norv for taking a knee on KCs 30 yrd line wit :30 seconds left.
    Norv for just having a name like Norv

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Balls -
    Persons on D who don't play CB
    Gaither for playing

Birds -
    Our offense for being up a mere 2 TDs inspite of a 6 to 1 Turnover differential at one point in the game.
    Our Corners for not being able to cover anyone. If Cassel were a real QB we'd have gotten carved up.

Our interior line and CBs continue to be garbage this year.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    People need to give the Gaither crap a rest. First, they were screaming that he was faking and would never play another down. Now, they say his "recovery" is suspicious. Bottom line, Gaither played and played well. The fact that few details were disclosed on the injury does not necessarily mean he was faking it. Teams are notoriously mysterious about injuries.

Jammer was also terrific today. Tough and physical. Set the tone. He got beat on a few plays, but every corner does.

6. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Ball for Jammer because no one else will give him one. He laid the wood and forced the fumble that sealed the game.

7. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Balls
    Refs!!!!!!! The real NFL is back...

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,762
    Balls
    Battle, hangs on to the ball and pounds.
    Gates, is he the only guy that gets open??
    Butler, just plays damn good ball
    Jammer, the dude can still hit and still outplays Cason

Birds
    River's, just to damn unpredictable anymore.
    Cason, is he the best they have to offer. Dude couldn't even cover his own arse with both hands.
    Offense, this game should've been way out of hand with 6 TO's
    Rygina, dude just scares the hell out of me whenever he touches the ball not to mention totally whiffed on the lateral.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Balls - Chargers
    Birds - Chiefs

Honorable ball to Matt Cassel for gifting this game to the Chargers over and over and over and over and over....

I think he just threw another INT as I typed this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Also a ball for Charles for the two fumbles. I was cracking up by the 4th quarter, as the announcers continually extolled the greatness of Charles without mentioning the fumbles, while constantly discussing Mathew's fumbling.

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Balls - Front 7 for getting in Cassels face all game.

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm revisiting this, and just wanted to say that Donald Butler has been playing like an elite ILB, and by elite I mean top 5.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    Balls: Me, for still having Cason as my sigpic.

Birds: All the Cason-haters. Go lick a tire.

14. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    all terrain or seasonal?

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I'm too much of a gentleman to do it, but I could see some truth in an editor's re-working a
    sentence that includes terms like "balls" and "in Cassels face all game"..I mean, hypothetically...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,762
    It was a good win today despite the offense not scoring more with all the TO's. I'm glad Gaither played as well as he did and there was a noticeable difference in protection. Norv gave Rygina just enough action to help build him back up and he can move the chains, just needs to prove he'll hang onto the rock.

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    If we give an "Honorable ball" to Cassel, don't you have to honor the Chief coaching
    staff, as well? Six turnovers (really, 7 or maybe 8, with better officiating) doesn't just happen.

Now, yes, that would appear to point to terrible coaching, but since I always say that coaches
    can only be blamed for so much of the players' screw-ups, and lack of execution,
    I'll offer a specific bad coach move:

It's the Chargers' very first drive. We're just a hair over three minutes into the game:
    Floyd makes a great catch. Romeo challenges. WTF?
    Was the catch in doubt? No. Was it the difference re. a crucial first down? No, it was a first down either way.

No, Crennel spent one of only two vital coach's challenges, not on some big game-changing play,
    or crucial turnover...but in hopes of moving a Charger first down back by 6 yards.
    Of course, because his team was never in the game, there was no dramatic
    "The Chiefs must challenge this play...but they have no challenges" moment late in the game...
    but that doesn't excuse wasting a challenge on an early trivial play...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Birds
    Norv Turners play calling to have ronnie brown and jackie battle more involved in the pass game then our wr additions... i know norv likes to throw to the rb out of the backfield but am i the only one that gets a little concerned with the direction of our offense when ronnie brown and jackie battle consistently have more receiving yards then guys like eddie royal and robert meachem? the lack of wr involvement on this team is likely to be frustrating rivers as well as we been seeing him force the ball more then usual as of late

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Balls:
    Butler - He's just a flat-out baller, was all over the field today.
    Liuget - Got great push on the pocket, nice strip on the ball. Too bad he's only a fit for the 4-3, right matilack? :rolleyes:
    Martin - Possibly the best game he's played to date.
    Ingram - Good things happen when he's in the game. Whoda thunk he could bat down a pass with such short arms? :laugh:
    Phillips - Good pressure on Cassell, nice strip.
    Mathews/Battle - Got it done when needed, secured the ball, put points on the board.
    Novak - Nice job of coming in at the last minute & performing well.
    Norv - Tied Coryell for wins.
    All 3 Eric's - Weddle for the early int. Winston for playing worse than Clary. Berry for getting worked by Gates.
    Cassell - He sucks. Period. Pioli isn't the magician he thinks he is.

Birds:
    Cason - Do I even need to elaborate? A better QB would have torched his *** even more. After what? 4 different DC's? It's not the scheme, it's you. Wright needs to get healthy ASAP.
    Rivers - Sorry, PR, but I gotta do it. The int was a poor decision, you're lucky that you weren't picked in the end zone, & you flat out missed a TD to Meachem.
    Norv-haters & preemptive Chicken Littles - I can call names if you'd like, but I feel fairly certain that you already know who you are. It has to be embarrassing to walk around with a constant whine & sore ***.

Plays/players worth mentioning:
    Jammer - Made some really nice hits but got worked a bit by Bowe.
    Gaither - Our OL is definitely improved with him in the lineup.
    Cason - Nice concentration on the int, but damn - you're a liability on an improving defense.
    Weddle - How the hell did you miss recovering that onside kick? Maybe it's just a lack of killer instinct. :rolleyes:

3-1, biatches. :tup:

And Conc, it's spelled Cassell, not Castle. :whistling:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,205
    A lot of people are getting mad at Rivers throwing the ball to covered receivers. Those are the same people who cheered in years passed as Rivers did that allowing VJ and Floyd to go up for the balls. I am not sure if it is just my perception but it appears that the receivers and not climbing the ladder this year. That means Rivers has to adjust.

And lastly... Bit me... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Yeah, I agree with your comments for HALF of the PR problem. However, I am more concerned about what I see as the other HALF. How did he under throw Meachem early in the game? Just seems to be a trend that one or two plays per game he doesn't have the arm to air it deep. The jump ball half can be fixed if he can change his mindset, but the deep ball? If its gone its gone, that's what scares me.

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,205
    Agree, at times Rivers worries me. So far this season he has kept the ints down (I would prefer much less though) and has been able to lead us beyond the turnover... That said, a big part of that is a (so far, knocking on wood) much improved D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Before and after the KC game, Rivers was on a pace for 16 INTs this year...
    a bit better than last season's 20, but still no prescription for success.
    He does seem especially snake bit re. Meachem. I don't have anything against Meachem,
    but I'm beginning to worry that his and Rivers' styles just don't mesh well. Would love to be convinced otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,762
    I've been watching River's since his freshman year at NCSU and yes there is a difference in the way he's playing. He looks like he's playing scared to me as in no faith in his protection and other than Gates and Floyd he seems timid in his throws to Meachem and Royal.

Meach looked great with Brees and it appears that he was just asked to go run and we'll get you the ball. Royal I don't understand, it's 3rd and 7 and he runs a four yard route??? it's happened on several plays. I hope it's just them learning the intricacies of the offense and River's isn't helping out much with his poor decisions.

Time will tell but I hope it doesn't run out on them to all get on the same page. River's is still a top notch QB and when Brown gets back it may take some of the heat off all involved. Both Meach and Royal should compliment this offense just as much as RM can when he holds onto the ball. If it all comes together they will be scary good especially if the defense continues to grow.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Don't be a chicken little. Rivers arm is not gone. He just threw it late. Look at the deep ball to Meachem in the Raiders game if you need confirmation. Rivers aired it out and hit him perfectly in stride. He has several other nice deep throws this year, including one against the Falcons that Floyd should have caught.

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    I agree more with the end of your post than the beginning. For all the talk about Rivers poor play, he had a 115 passer rating yesterday.

27. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Always about the balls and the face with you isn't it.

28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I'm not sure that I'd say "great." Here's a First Round Draft pick,
    playing with arguably the best gunslinger in the NFL,
    and he only tops 640 yards in one of his 4 seasons.
    I know Drew spreads the ball around, but I always thought of
    Meachem as a borderline underachiever in New Orleans.

• Informative Informative x 1
  29. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128

I'm not sure how using words like 'concerned' and 'if' make me a chicken little. There has been more than one pass in the past 20 games (I'd venture one per game) which Rivers has not delivered the ball deep enough. And while he has played much better this year, he is still on pace to throw 16 INTs (too many). Its not like I'm calling for him to be benched or even that he is not a top 10 QB. I just see some red flags which have me worried. Don't accuse people with less than a rainbow outlook of being doomsday-ers.

30. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +225
    Balls:
    Norv Turner & coaching staff (most notably, DC Pagano) – I was pleased to see how this team responded to the humiliating, home beatdown suffered at the hands of the Falcons. The resurgent Bolts stormed out of the tunnel & took control of the game real early.

I also agree with the decision to start Battle over Mathews. It seemed to demonstrate to Ryan that subsequent fumbles will cost him playing time & possible even his starting role, and it gave Jackie a chance to punish the team that he called his own for the previous 5 seasons.

Shaun Phillips – Beastly game! Constantly in the backfield, forced & recovered a fumble.

Jackie Battle – Really showed the Chiefs that you still have a lot in the tank, scoring both a rushing touchdown, and a receiving one as well.

Donald Butler – Flying all over the field, and yet another pick-six.

Jared Gaither – Good to see him back on the field, playing effectively. I only saw him get beaten once, on the play in which Philip was nearly sacked for a safety.

Eric Weddle – Another interception, and some timely blitzes as well.

Ryan Mathews – Took his semi-benching & backup role like a man, and performed effectively. Can’t wait to see him run on that fast carpet in New Orleans, he may really put on a show.

Quentin Jammer – Another game, another ticky-tack PI penalty but he led the team in tackles, & forced a fumble.

Eddie Royal – 1st touchdown as a Charger, hopefully the first of many! Very effective in the slot, and it’s probably just a matter of time before he returns a punt for a score.

Takeo Spikes & Vaughn Martin – For their forced fumbles.

Nick Novak – Got off his couch & went 3 for 3 in field goal attempts, to include a few touchbacks as well. The next time we need his services, he just may not be available.

Bird:
    Philip Rivers – That stupid interception (and subsequent KC touchdown) nearly got the demoralized Chiefs right back into the game. I could understand if these picks were the result of tipped passes, or great plays made by the defender but the majority of them are just bad decisions by Philip. We can usually get away with it while playing bad teams, but every team we play this season won’t be as inept as the Raiders, Titans or Chiefs.